Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Does our EB's need a Winter Coat or Sweater?

Do Dogs Really Need Sweaters?
by VETDEPOT on JANUARY 16, 2014

With cold winter weather affecting much of the country, some owners might be wondering if their canine companion needs to bundle up before venturing out for a walk.

The answer depends on the dog. If you own a healthy Siberian Husky or another northern breed, it’s probably a safe bet that a doggy jacket isn’t necessary for a quick walk. However, there are many dogs that could benefit from protection from the elements, including:

Elderly dogs
Dogs with a chronic illness
Small dogs
Dogs with a thin body type (e.g., Greyhounds)
Short-haired breeds

Basically, any dog that has difficulty retaining heat in its body can benefit from a warm winter coat or sweater. If your home is cold and your dog falls into one of the above categories, you might consider leaving a light sweater on your pet while indoors as well. Whenever purchasing an item of clothing for your dog, think about safety. Make sure it fits well and it doesn’t have any loose pieces that could be a potential choking hazard.

When in doubt, having an extra sweater for your dog around the house during the winter months certainly doesn’t hurt. If nothing else, it will be help keep your dog dry while on a walk, saving the trouble of cleaning up a soaking wet dog once you’ve returned home.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I always question whether Ruthie needs a coat/sweater all the time. If I do put something on her and we go outside, it ends up in the bushes cause she rubs herself on those bushes until it comes off. So I just make sure not to keep her out long.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We gauge everything by the weather. If it gets really cold and is going to stay that way for longer than a few hours we will put a sweater on Harlea. If it is only going to be cold until the sun rises then we will play it by ear and her body language.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In Finland the temps have gone down to -25C/-13F lately so we do use coats. Especially Usko has hardly any hair on his stomach, so he must be freezing without it. He doesn't like it though and keeps rubbing himself against everything....Voitto doesn't mind.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My guys don't like putting their coats on, but once they are on, they will wear them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would say it depends on your dog, and also how long you plan to be outside in the cold. I think you could tell if your dog feels cold. I have always had waterproof winter coats for my dogs. Don't always put them on-but have them if they need them. I like the waterproof in case it is snowing or cold/raining.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
I always question whether Ruthie needs a coat/sweater all the time. If I do put something on her and we go outside, it ends up in the bushes cause she rubs herself on those bushes until it comes off. So I just make sure not to keep her out long.

oh ruthie!! i love to hear about her rubbing her clothes off and stripping outside on the bushes!! haha :whistle:

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
unnamed.jpgwith the temps only getting up to 20 degrees today she wore a hoodie to the groomers

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is a very warm blooded girl, no jacket or coat for her, but my Frenchie, Cheli,,, he totally needs one

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas living in sunny Florida, doesn't even own a coat. He has some T's but he prefer's being naked.

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Haha, I agree with Vegas! Hopefully be moving to florida in the next six months!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
In Finland the temps have gone down to -25C/-13F lately so we do use coats. Especially Usko has hardly any hair on his stomach, so he must be freezing without it. He doesn't like it though and keeps rubbing himself against everything....Voitto doesn't mind.
-13F!! wow...id never leave the house!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Maybe not in the southern states but there is no way that loki could be outside long enough to do his business without a coat this winter there have been maybe 3 a days the entire winter above 20*. He gets cold way too fast he even has booties. They only go on them we are at 0 or lower.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Jameson walks funny when i put one on...he will walk down the steps and lean againt the wall...when he gets to the bottom he thuds against the wall and just leans over...it is rather amusing

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.