Does Your Bully Know When You Are Sick

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
A few weeks ago I had a stomach virus and Otis did not leave my side the entire time. I mean his bully butt was as close to me as he could get :yes:. When I was throwing up (sorry to be so graphic) he was licking my feet and then straight back to bed with me. My husband literally had to make him go outside and take a minute to eat. I really didn't think too much about it then, but my husband has gout from time to time and Otis is doing the same thing today. He is licking his gout foot and laying right next to him. Do you guys think they know when we are not feeling well. I honestly think I would swear by it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A few weeks ago I had a stomach virus and Otis did not leave my side the entire time. I mean his bully butt was as close to me as he could get :yes:. When I was throwing up (sorry to be so graphic) he was licking my feet and then straight back to bed with me. My husband literally had to make him go outside and take a minute to eat. I really didn't think too much about it then, but my husband has gout from time to time and Otis is doing the same thing today. He is licking his gout foot and laying right next to him. Do you guys think they know when we are not feeling well. I honestly think I would swear by it.

I completely agree. They have that sixth sense.:yes:

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Certainly!! My husband also has gout (which we've curbed his flair ups a lot by diet changes) but when he had flair ups Chunky did the same thing, tried to lick his feet and ankles and layed right under/on his feet! and when either of us has been ill with cold or flu Chunk stays right by our sides, it is so sweet!!! There are dogs that are trained to sniff out cancer cells too!! What amazing companions!!!

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I know they do. I have been sick with whooping cough since the week of Christmas. I am feeling much better now and am on the mend, but at my worst, Henry never left my side. He even alerted my husband when I had passed out. I had to go to the hospital for a couple days and my husband said Henry was beside himself while I was away, pacing and whining looking for me. When I got home, Henry was right there in bed with me. I would wake up to him gently licking my cheek or nibbling on my ear. He stayed curled up in bed with me and when I had these terrible coughing fits, he would put his head on my lap to comfort me. I've never had a dog like this. Now I don't know what I would do without him. He has stolen my heart.

When we rescued Henry, he was really sick. It brought tears to my eyes the sad condition this little boy was in. For those who know Henry's story, it was not a pretty sight. So we cleaned him up, got him veterinary attention, meds and surgery. All throughout his ordeal, I held him as much as possible, and prayed for him and gave him as much love as I knew how and he pulled through. Now when I got sick, he did the same for me. He brought tears to my eyes, this time tears of joy.

So yeah, I believe some dogs do know when a person is not well. I don't know how or why, but they do know and you are blessed to have such a dog like that.

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
I know they do. I have been sick with whooping cough since the week of Christmas. I am feeling much better now and am on the mend, but at my worst, Henry never left my side. He even alerted my husband when I had passed out. I had to go to the hospital for a couple days and my husband said Henry was beside himself while I was away, pacing and whining looking for me. When I got home, Henry was right there in bed with me. I would wake up to him gently licking my cheek or nibbling on my ear. He stayed curled up in bed with me and when I had these terrible coughing fits, he would put his head on my lap to comfort me. I've never had a dog like this. Now I don't know what I would do without him. He has stolen my heart.

When we rescued Henry, he was really sick. It brought tears to my eyes the sad condition this little boy was in. For those who know Henry's story, it was not a pretty sight. So we cleaned him up, got him veterinary attention, meds and surgery. All throughout his ordeal, I held him as much as possible, and prayed for him and gave him as much love as I knew how and he pulled through. Now when I got sick, he did the same for me. He brought tears to my eyes, this time tears of joy.

So yeah, I believe some dogs do know when a person is not well. I don't know how or why, but they do know and you are blessed to have such a dog like that.

Sounds like.Henry is also blessed to have you :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I whole heartedly agree.... They totally know and want to care for you

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I am completely convinced that they do.

There are lots of documented stories about dogs saving their human companions from things like heart attack, epilepsy, etc.

Personally, all my dogs ever since I've been a toddler has always been there when I was not feeling too good. And this includes having a fight with my best friend... my dogs have always been very intuitive. Some dogs are more expressive about it than others. My bichon is a lot more expressive about providing companionship when I'm feeling sick than my bullies. He climbs on my lap and licks and makes these noises. But then my bichon is the one with separation anxiety so he's very in tune with me. The bullies are always underfoot even if I'm not sick. But when I'm not feeling good, they tend to not want to play as much. I would even throw Angus' frisbee which he loves and he wouldn't chase after it as enthusiastically - it's like he's chasing it just because I threw the frisbee, not because he wanted to chase it.

For grins and giggles: My sister was about 5 years old or so and our next-door neighbor is her age and they always play together. One time, they were playing and ended up fighting over a toy and the neighbor threw the toy at my sister hitting her in the head. She sat down and cried and our dog rushes by and takes the neighbor down on his butt with his front paws. And then he goes back to sit by my sister and starts licking her face. The neighbor has a dog too and so his dog swoops down towards my sister, our dog barks at him, the neighbor's dog barks back (it's like they're arguing!) and I guess they agreed that our neighbor was wrong because his dog goes back to doing whatever it was he was doing... did not even go sit with our neighbor!

Crazy huh?

Last edited:

Dixie Belles Mom

Oct 9, 2012
Midland, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie Belle and Lizzy Belle
I definitely believe they do. Last spring my husband got very sick and our bully wouldn’t leave him and got a bad case of hives. That happened on a Saturday and long story short ,turned out my husband had Leukemia. When we took Dixie to the vet on Monday she couldn’t find anything physically wrong with her we told her what was going on with my husband and she said Dixie was so upset about him that she got hives. The hives stayed until he got home from the hospital and cleared up.

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Wow...great stories. Thanks for sharing.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I think they can be in tune w us and sense our emotions, sick etc.. Thank goodness they can too!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Yes I know Ftse does I was in hospital over night on Saturday and when I got home on Sunday I slept on the lounge for five hours and Ftse laid by my side the whole time and Richard said he was all fidgety while I was gone and not himself.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.