Sad Days

TrevorBow

Jan 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena
So.. I'm a really new English Bully owner. I bought our puppy Athena two months ago for my girlfriend as an anniversary/Christmas present. She'd always wanted Bulldog and I found the perfect moment to buy one. Well, we fast forward two months to our current position. She's been promoted at work, doing 60+ hours a week, plus some classes for her job. I'm an accounting student taking 18 credit hours and working at a firm in the midst of tax season.

To be frank, we just don't have time for her. We love her to death, but we feel incredibly guilty because we're both out of the house more than 12 hours a day most days and that's probably not changing any time soon. It's unfair to her. So we're looking to sell her.

She's 6 months old now and I've not sent in the paperwork to the AKC to register her as mine. It's one of those expensive chores that got put on the backburner with the holidays and a vacation planned.

Before I sell her, do I need send in the paperwork to register her to me, then sell her and make them send in paperwork as well, or can I bypass that step? I want to make this process as smooth as it can be for everybody involved.

I appreciate the help!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
not sure how this works in US , but in uk you can bypass this step as long as breeder is aware - im sure forum members will be able to advise you
so sorry you are in this position - this is also why im against pets as gifts, and having a dog is a huge commitment that has to be thought over

i bet you feel bad as you fallen in love with her so it must be heartbreaking , but i think you are making best decision x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would get with the breeder to see if they want her back, most reputable breeders will want their babies back, at least I do. If they won't help you, then if you find someone who wants her, as long as you have not filled out the paperwork the new owner can fill it out and send it in. Sorry you can not keep your baby. But please call the breeder and see if they want her back or will at least help you place her in a good home and do not put her on Craigs list.

OP
T

TrevorBow

Jan 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena
Hey guys, I really do appreciate your quick responses and your understanding.

Athena wasn't really meant as just a gift, it was a series of events happening rapidly that lead to these circumstances. We weren't really prepared for life's sudden changes. Her promotion was brought about by somebody quitting suddenly and my accounting firm position was just offered this year from an unexpected source (otherwise I'd have never committed to so much school!).

I appreciate the information David! I've got a co-worker who has expressed an interest in purchasing her. I just didn't want anything weird to pop up when he tried to fill out the paperwork at whatever point and the AKC was like "Sorry bro, that dog belongs to Trevor, you're SOL" If that doesn't work out though, getting back to the breeder will be my next step.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Yeah, try the breeder. Hopefully, they are respectable, and will understand your situation. Just make sure she goes to a good home. They can be a handful.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=10865]TrevorBow[/MENTION], I would check the contract you signed with the breeder when you got Athena (if you did have a contract). I know in mine it stated that if I could not keep my boys for whatever reason then I would return them back to the breeder.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.