Potty Training Question

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Hi Everyone. I was hoping to get some advice on potty training. Tyson will be 16 weeks old this Friday, and he is making great progress so far! For most of the day he has someone there to take him outside when he has to go potty (he is learning to go to the backdoor when he has to go pee, and if he doesn't signal us, we take him out every 1-1.5 hrs.) During the day if no one is there we put him in his crate, which he sleeps in at night as well.

What I am wondering is, during the night Tyson can go about 4-5 hrs without going pee (he will occasionally wake up and then go right back to sleep without having to go out.) But during the day, he pees a lot. Is there something I need to do to try and teach him to hold it longer? Or is this just a matter of him growing up a little more and it will happen in his own time. I am not sure if by encouraging him to go out so often that we are actually hindering his ability to control his bladder.

Thanks for your help!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm not to sure about this stuff because its been so long since I've had a puppy but I believe [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] said that their age in months plus 1 equals how many hours they should be able to hold it. So with that logic I'd say 16 weeks = 4 months + 1 = 5 hours, jill??? So if my memory is right you can only reasonably assume Tyson can hold it for 5 hours.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], you're right on with the calculations. One hour for every month of life plus one, is a general rule of thumb.

To answer your question [MENTION=1543]TysonsMom[/MENTION] - I had a similar predicament with my bulldog puppy, who is now 7 months old. My previous bullies were pretty much completely trained by 5 months but this last one was harder. I did lots and lots and lots of reading on the internet because I was sure I was doing something wrong! Basically, Tyson can physically hold his pee or poop for four or five hours - however, like people, it depends on their activity level. If Tyson is walking around and drinking and playing plus he knows when he goes outside, you want him to potty because it makes you happy, he's going to try to eek something out for you. At night, however, he's sleeping and relaxed - and as I said in a recent thread - a sleeping puppy isn't a pooing or peeing puppy!

By four months, I think you should try to see if he will go through the night without going potty. Make sure you feed him early enough and pick up his water and make sure he is empty before bed and see how it goes. I would not be surprised if, especially because it stays darker longer now, he's able to sleep 7 or so hours without going to the bathroom. During the day, instead of taking him out every hour, give him a chance to show you he's a big boy now and wait for him to go the door - just don't miss it or you might have an accident on your hands!

At 4 months and, especially into 5 months, he's considered an "older puppy" - and he's not a baby anymore - so maybe let him try to show you what a good boy he is by letting him tell you when he needs to potty. This will encourage his bladder control and help transition him into his next phase of development. Remember to give LOTS of praise when he goes outside and I think he'll be on his way to becoming fully housetrained in a short time.

Let us know how it goes - all puppies are different!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
well sounds like he is on the right track by jills calculations!!! keep up the good work tyson

OP
TysonsMom

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
Thank you so much!! Great advice and I am definitely going to try it out starting tonight.

All of these bullies are so lucky to have the parents that post here!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] that is great info & advice. We have been so lucky with Brodie and the breeder really worked with him (all the pups) so we have had it easy so far. he goes to the door, etc already and wakes up around 4 (when hubby gets up) goes pee outside and back to sleep! [MENTION=1543]TysonsMom[/MENTION] can't wait to see how your puppy adventure goes since tyson and brodie are close to the same age! Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.