Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
We usually play tug and fetch. I dont really know if youz call that fetch coz he gets the ball and bring it somewhere he likes and gnaw in it. For example at befire dinner earlier bert was playing with my cousin. He was trying to reach for a toy and will stand. We give it to him get it again and thats how the game goes. After a while i thibk he got bored of the game and as i was passing by the ball went near my feet and he immediately bit my foot instead of the ball. I told him "no" in a gentle manner but he jumped at me instead and hugged my leg bit it then scratch it. I couldnt stop him so mom carried him away and put him on his crate. Maybe he gets too excited while.playing?

In my experience, bulldogs tend to play pretty rough and as puppies sometimes even rougher so the game of tug probably isn't the best game for Bert since he tends to get too riled up and goes in to bite ... sound aversion is a great training tool, a sharp "ATAT" sound when he does the wrong thing will alert him that what he is doing is wrong ... too many times the word "NO" is over used and dogs tend to ignore the word because it is used for too many things/situations so I prefer to use the sound aversion instead of always saying "no" and I give a specific word to each thing I teach my dogs, such as if I want them off of the sofa I snap my fingers and point to the floor and say "off" so the snap of my fingers is the chosen "sound" and the word "off" is the voice command I always point to the floor after the snap because that gives them clear direction. So all together the snap, point and word give them a understandable command, I use that each and every time so that signals don't get crossed, after all I preach Consistency Consistency Consistency with training because it is so effective. When my little Diesel gets angry when someone is playing rough with him all I have to do to regain his attention so I can redirect his actions is to clap my hands and say enough, then I can either bring him to me until he calms down or offer him something else to focus on such as a toy ... even at his most angry when he hears the "clap" and "enough" he stops what he is doing looks to me for direction, so again using sound aversion and a voice command brings him under control.

Bert is young and his little brain is a sponge right now so if you start training him now you will have a well adjusted and balanced family member ... training takes a lot of time and 100% consistency from each human in Bert's life but the results will be worth it!!

My best advise is to sit down as a family and discuss how you want to train Bert and start right away ... I would suggest that each time he starts to bite or charge at you instead of saying "NO" use sound aversion such as "ATAT" in a sharp tone, the correction needs to be firm but never aggressive, you don't want to scare him you just want a firm sound to redirect his actions.

Also it's never to early to start command training, such as "sit, stay, come, leave it" etc. I also suggest with the voice command have a visual hand signal that goes with only that word such as with my dogs for "Sit" the hand signal that goes with the word I hold my hand palm up and lift my fingers upward ... dogs learn hand signals really fast so they see the hand signal and know what verbal command goes with it together they work excellent!
Don't forget to praise Bert with a happy "Good Boy" each time he does something good, my dogs will do almost anything just to hear the "good boy or good girl" because they know they have made me happy and that is everything to them, bulldogs in general love to please their humans (in their own special way that is :lol: )

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice.... Just wanted to say good luck and keep us posted

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
I agree with Ace...."Supposedly it helps if you give them a stern no while you put them on their back while holding the side of their neck (no excessive force). Supposedly this is what the alpha daddy would do if his young ones would get out of hand." We learned this from Cesar Milan - yes, I know everyone doesn't agree with his techniques but each to his own as long as no one is being hurt. It worked for us with great success. Your hand (in the claw position) simulates the alpha dogs mouth. You have to hold them until they submit to you and relax.

We had to do this with Baxter! My ankles were all bitten/scratched up. It was so frustrating and I thought it would never end. Thankfully we stuck with this and we have a sweet three year old (this past Wednesday) bully now. Also, the snapping finger and whatever sound you choose works too.

Best of luck and be FIRM with your family and friends that come over to follow your rules and if they don't, put them on their back and give them the claw! :-)

Members online

No members online now.