Bert wants to bite everyone!!!

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hi guys! Bert is now 6months old and we noticed that he gets aggressive. He goes out of his cage after sleeping play alone for a while and after a few minutes he starts biting everyone. He bit me my mom and my brother. And this dont just happen once. It happens all the time. We try to distract him but it only lasts for a few minutes and he will start biting again. We recently moved to a different house since our original house was under renovation and we noticed hes gotten more aggressive. :( i was thinking hell be less aggressive when he grows older but its the other way around. We always play with him and lets him out atleast 2x a day. When he sees other people he is very happy and lets them pat him touch him etc. Bit if its any member of the household he bites us right away :(

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
There is a difference in biting in aggression with intent to hurt and nipping and gnawing as puppies tend to do. If the dog is still teething he may just be nibbling and gnawing, it can still hurt as pups have razor sharp teeth but its not really the same as an aggressive dog. At 6 months of age he should be about outgrowing the teething stage but the time may vary, but even when they get adult teeth they will still tend to nip and gnaw for a while but it continues to slow down. Is it puppy play or is it actual aggression?

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Before, we see that he only wants to play and he had no idea that his bite is quite painful. If we pretend to get hurt he stops right away. Now, you can really see that he has the "intent" of biting and he wont stop biting or scratching us unless we distract him with food or toys. :(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It doesn't sound to me that he bites out of aggression but I can understand if it gets a bit rough anyway:( We have a rescue mix that's now also around 6 month old and he's constantly nagging/biting my hands whenever I try to pet him or clean him. It gets a bit frustrating after a while:ashamed: He's gotten a little better as I've started the "back to basic" stuff with him again... he has to sit for food, treats, affection, going out... he has to sit for basically everything, I even make him sit before I enter the space he's in, he has to respect me:) and when he bites me I say firmly "NO" and ignore him. It seems like he gets it... maybe it can work on Bert too:) Glad to hear Bert is growing strong though;)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey was the WORSE puppy biter I ever had! I truly thought we had the spawn of satan! He would not respond to ANY discipline except crating. If he got out of control, he went to jail- sometimes it would work, and sometimes he would start right back up with the nipping, so back to the crate he went. For the most part, this worked. Bullies play rough, and they are very " mouthy". It calmed down around a year old, but we were very consistent with discipline and had ALOT of patience. You will find tons of my comments and threads here on this very subject. Just hang in there, nd most of all, be calm with discipline, find what works for you, praise good behavior and stay calm when the shark attacks!! I did not wear short sleeves or shorts for a year because of all the teeth marks on my body!! This is a big part of puppy bully behavior,and it should not be interpreted as aggression in such a young pup. It just needs gentle correction. Bogey is now 15 months old, is the sweetest thing on earth and on occasion, he still gets mouthy, but it is not aggression, just his way of playing and burning some energy. Good luck!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea in going through the teenager portion of being a puppy and she gets really nippy and persistent. She is doing it because she wants someone to get down on the floor and play with her but it is still a behavior i won't tolerate. What works best for us is to actually stare her down and growl and bark back at her. After a few seconds she stops her crap and submits then we will play with her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When Bert is biting-yes, substitute your hands or feet with TOYS! Do not substitute with food, as he will think that he is being rewarded for biting! Tough toys like Nylabones, Kongs, or any toy that he can not swallow, or get stuffing out of! OR pieces off of! No rawhide. Perhaps a LARGE thick beef shin bone-one that he can not crack, or get pieces off of. When he is biting, tell him "No bite" stick the toy/bone in his mouth and say "here, bite this!" Everyone in the house must do the same, or it will not work. He will eventually learn NOT to bite people-IF you stick with it. He is getting old enough to be getting past the "puppy biting stage" so you have got to handle it now. He may still be getting his "new" teeth, but by the time he has them-he can not be allowed to bite anyone! Once in awhile, while playing-they may mouth you-but should NOT BITE! His humping is because he is a boy-and getting older,(male hormones ) and probably also has excess energy! If he is healthy now, you should start thinking about having him neutered.

Last edited:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9990]elairiffic[/MENTION] : Looking at this from a training aspect, it sounds like Bert needs to have some clear Rules, Boundaries and Limitations set ... he needs to know what is "ok" and what is "not ok" to do. Training is so important, it makes dogs feel more comfortable and confident when they know what is expected of them. It takes consistency, time and a lot of patience but it will make your life with Bert so much more enjoyable!! Having the whole family on the same page with the training and doing the same correction each time will help Bert understand and with 100% consistency he will learn fairly fast how to be a great family member.

Last edited:
OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
I really appreciate all your advise guys! Ill make sure i do all the steps you told me and tell everyone in the family to do the same. I know he will grow to be a sweet boy cause whenever he wakes up, he goes up to my bed and wake me up gently. But after a going outside for a walk and playing with him he starts getting hyper and starts biting everyone esp. When feeding him he doesnt get aggressive and patiently waits for his food. Its only during playtime tht he gets grumpy and bittes and growls. I actually also dont wear shorts the first few months but he started ripping all may pjs apart lol. My moms legs and my legs look horrible with alot of scratches. We're actually planning to get vaccinated since he sometimes bite hard and sometimes blood comes out. Excuse my english haha

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I really appreciate all your advise guys! Ill make sure i do all the steps you told me and tell everyone in the family to do the same. I know he will grow to be a sweet boy cause whenever he wakes up, he goes up to my bed and wake me up gently. But after a going outside for a walk and playing with him he starts getting hyper and starts biting everyone esp. When feeding him he doesnt get aggressive and patiently waits for his food. Its only during playtime tht he gets grumpy and bittes and growls. I actually also dont wear shorts the first few months but he started ripping all may pjs apart lol. My moms legs and my legs look horrible with alot of scratches. We're actually planning to get vaccinated since he sometimes bite hard and sometimes blood comes out. Excuse my english haha

When you play, what kind of play do you do? My little male Diesel gets really upset when people "play rough" with him and will go in for the bite ... he has never done this with me because I don't ever play rough with him, I know he likes to play gentle meaning toss a toy for him, I am the only one that he will play tug with and not get mad at because he knows I'm the boss of the household, I start the playtime and it ends when I say "enough" so with me he knows the boundaries and is completely confident in how to play. So if you know tug gets Bert riled up I wouldn't play tug with him anymore ... throw a toy and teach him fetch, he gets to play but the game is controlled by you and he learns to play nice. The main thing is spending time with him and picking games he feels good playing will make him react much better.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
We usually play tug and fetch. I dont really know if youz call that fetch coz he gets the ball and bring it somewhere he likes and gnaw in it. For example at befire dinner earlier bert was playing with my cousin. He was trying to reach for a toy and will stand. We give it to him get it again and thats how the game goes. After a while i thibk he got bored of the game and as i was passing by the ball went near my feet and he immediately bit my foot instead of the ball. I told him "no" in a gentle manner but he jumped at me instead and hugged my leg bit it then scratch it. I couldnt stop him so mom carried him away and put him on his crate. Maybe he gets too excited while.playing?

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Gia does this also. She usually wants attention. I find that if she is too rambunctious a quick walk around the block will usually calm her. He may need to get out some energy.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds to me like you are not getting any respect(as Aretha Franklin once said) from Bert. Putting him in his crate-may get him off you, but is not really teaching him what to do and what NOT to do. You must push him down, when he jumps on you, tell him "down", and teach him it is not right to do, and also teach him not to bite people. It all has to be done over and over (seems like forever) until they "get it!". If you do not teach him now-you will have a big, heavy, unruly bulldog, who does it to you. He has got to learn that HE is not the boss. He can only learn that by YOU ALL teaching him-just like you would teach a child. Bullies are more mouthy than most(not all) pups-and it takes time for them to get it! NOW is the time to train him......YOu can do it-just have to do it over and over and over-----until it works! He also needs exercise to get some of that excess energy re-directed-but don't get him wound up-get several balls if you must, and keep throwing, or throw other toys for him to chase. Tug of war -he may like-but it is too "agressive" a game for a boy that gets "wound up!"

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
My pup is gonna be 11 weeks. He goes after my 5yr old girl cause I think he sees her as another puppy, lol. We have had 2 incidents where he just charges to her face, which both times caught her cheek and lips. A big no no in my household. I know he didn't do it out of anger, he's just playing. I read something that caught my eye and will be trying as of today. Supposedly it helps if you give them a stern no while you put them on their back while holding the side of their neck (no excessive force). Supposedly this is what the alpha daddy would do if his young ones would get out of hand. It's worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online