New bulldog and cats can they coexsist?

mstehman

Jul 21, 2010
Dallas Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Ok so second time Bulldog owner just got my new baby yesterday. We have had the breed before and lost our first a couple of years ago. We got our new baby who is not really a baby she is two from a local breeder who after her last litter had to have her spayed because of a complication while she was prego. They show their dogs and once they are spayed they can not be shown. So they wanted to find her a home with kids and someone to love her. She is fantastic with iur German Shepherd our other dog is a little slow to warn up to her but not worried about it.

However we have two cats and our new dog has never been around them before. One of the cats hissed at her and tried to swat her they are both declawed and are used to dogs since we already have them. Anyways she went after one of them this morning I don't think she was trying to hurt them just trying to figure them out. The cats are not fans and the dog keep going after them not sure if she is trying to play or just figure them out. I need help to help get every one acclimated to eachother. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. :eek::eek: Forgot to mention dog is 2 years old

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't have cats but when I did 16 years ago my two cats just avoided my bully.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wouldn't be too worried. I've had three young bulldogs and two older cats who were never around dogs and did not had a real problem.

First, the cats can always get away from the bulldog if they want. Since bullies are not tall or fast - the cat will always be faster - they can just get away. The dog will not harm them.

Second, I think some curiosity on both ends is very natural but remember, the animals are taking their cues from you - so if you are nervous and already perceive this as a problem, then they will too. So be confident during their time together and maybe even try to encourage some friendly interaction.

Also, I've had my bulldog Linus "catch" or confront both of our cats and sometimes they swat at him and go away. It's not a big deal and a natural way for the cat to defend itself...and it definitely doesn't hurt the bulldog.

I think the bottom line is that if the cats don't want to be near the dog, the will go somewhere the dog can't get to. Their presence near the dog, prompting confrontation, might suggest they, too, are curious and want to meet the dog and figure out where she fits into the fold. From my experience, I would let things unfold and let the dog and cats interact at will, knowing the nature of cats is that if they don't want to be bothered, they will go away.

Good luck!

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
From my personal experience, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Our cat acted the same way when we brought Lola home, although she was a puppy. the cat had been around dogs her entire life, but when we brought Lola home, she didn't want anything to do with her and it didn't look like they were going to get along.
Nowadays you would never think that they'd ever fought. They absolutely love each other.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Having two cats and two bulldogs it keeps me on my toes. Ireland chases the cats all over the place... Chief really dont go near them, I am hoping since Ireland is a puppy she will settle down and leave them alone soon lol... I think that you should just watch them, the cats should have a "safe place" to go, Mine have either my bedroom or the family/game room, we have a baby gate up since that is where the littler box and cat food is... Good luck

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My sister's cat visits us every other weekend (they live in London) and Silva will chase her and Lucy (the cat) hisses, swats and goes nuts whenever Silva goes near her. They have grown up together, we got them a week apart. I wouldnt worry about it they will form a relationship even though it might not seem like they like eachother. I would give it some time, it is all new for all of them! Good Luck

OP
M

mstehman

Jul 21, 2010
Dallas Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for the advise hopefully it will get better sooner than later. I read info on the internet and put a metal collar on and she is not allowed loose in the house without it ans a leash attached. That way I can get her attention real fast. My daughter has a furreal cat toy which looks real the dog does not seem to know the diffrence so I just plan on working with her a little every day. If anyone else has any ideas or input that would be great. Thanks again.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the advise hopefully it will get better sooner than later. I read info on the internet and put a metal collar on and she is not allowed loose in the house without it ans a leash attached. That way I can get her attention real fast. My daughter has a furreal cat toy which looks real the dog does not seem to know the diffrence so I just plan on working with her a little every day. If anyone else has any ideas or input that would be great. Thanks again.

Eek! I would not do the metal collar and leash on your bulldog when she's around the cats unless there is some element to this problem that has not been brought to light. That kind of restriction will set a tone for all the animals involved and your bulldog might become defensive around the cats. Bulldogs are bred not to respond to shows for force so it is much, much more effective if you can try to maintain a calm and supportive atmosphere and let the animals be curious, as they naturally are, knowing the cats can get away if they don't like what your bully is doing.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I would not use the metal collar either. Its important for them to set their boundries and learn to adjust to one another. Its ok for the cat to swat and the bully to play....as long as they are not causing harm to each other. I know many bullies who LOVE cats. One of mine gets so excited when he sees them, he runs up to them and kisses them but flinches the entire time because he knows he will probably get swatted. I guess its worth it to him :luv:

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
I had a cat when we 1st got lola and they never got along and totally avoided each other but we had a very odd cat that was not friendly, even to us, at all so mostly the cat's fault. We ended up having to get rid of him (old couple took him thank goodness and he's doing great there...must have been us) because he started spraying or whateve they do everywhere and I could just not take it anymore!

Good luck. I am confident it will work out, probably just take some time.

OP
M

mstehman

Jul 21, 2010
Dallas Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
thanks for the advise guys. Let me furst start out the collar itself does not have metal prongs if that is what you are thinking. It is just a simple silver chain. The cats are getting a little better about comming out around her but if she sees them she goes after them and started trying to mouth them. The cats have no claws so they are preety defenseless. The one cat jumps to a high window bench and the dog has all but climbed up the wall trying to get the cat. I have tried praising her and keeping her on the ground but as you know they are so strong. that does not work so any ideas would stii be appreciated.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Well This morning Speedy ( Kitten) is provoking Ireland. They are under the tree, down the hall ALL OVER MY HOUSE!!!!! I swear that cat knows she can get Ireland in trouble and does so... Im thinking my tree will be going down soon...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.