Should i use a harness or a collar?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, my boy is 3 months old now and is allowed to go walkies on Monday. I'm torn between using a collar or harness and cannot decide which to use. are there any reasons why i should use either one?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
harness! bulldogs have really thick necks, so a collar may not be (and should not be) tight enough so that the dog can't pull its head out of it. Plus bulldogs have such a large and strong upper body and chest that it is important for you to have control over this part of its body when out of the comfort of your home. harnesses are easier on their bodies, and safer for them.

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
definitely go with a harness

Tucker had a collar for a while when he was a puppy, but after taking him for a walk and seeing him pull (he didn't know better at the time) and the stress that was putting on his neck, I went and bought a harness later that day. I really like the Kong harness, that I got for Tucker. It has a pad that goes across his chest to spread any tension that might come if he were to pull.

When inside and just to go out and potty I leave Tucker's collar on, but any long walk or where I know other dogs might be around I always put his harness on.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree, we use a harness when we walk. Bullys have a very small air passage and the collars tend to constrict it to much. They are very strong too and the harness will give you better control.

Last edited:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
If you crate your dog, please be aware that the collar may get stuck and could cause choking….Lola wears nothing inside the house when we are not home, no collar, no clothes, nothing.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
as answered in a pm -harness all the way ,due to the way their necks are .
we use collars only for dog tags xx

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi again everyone all your comments are very useful to me - Thanks very much, and a special thank you to Pati for answering my pm's !

I'm going to go with a harness, can I buy one that will fit him now and also when he's fully grown? Or will I need to buy a puppy harness and then have to buy another for adults?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We bought small harness then changed as she grew
Im not buying anything expensive right now as she still growing xx