Puppy chew toy question

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
So I know that adult bulldogs need really tough and durable chew toys and that a lot of people use the black Kong's. But what about for puppies? Should you get a softer puppy chew toy until they are done teething or just go straight for the extreme toys? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
When Brutus was little I gave him puppy sized nylar bones. You can go to the pet store and pick the size that is appropriate for your puppy. I had to be very careful what I gave him because he was and still is a crazy chewer. He destroys all of his toys really quick. Kong does also make smaller durable chew toys, I would just go and look around.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor got nylon bones too and rope chew toys. Then I made toys out of empty cardboard boxes and paper rolls (I put a small treat in it and folded it so he had to work to get the treat). He still loves them and I've used them for training (sit, wait, come, etc) - he learned very quickly to work for his toy/treat! Now these cardboard toys only last a few minutes but when he was little he would be exhausted by them. You need to supervise the dog when he's got a cardboard toy, though, so he doesn't eat it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Nylabones-both flexi and dura-come in several sizes. Kong also makes puppy kongs. Watch your pup as he grows-you may(will) have to take the puppy sizes away-and replace with tougher sizes! The puppy nylabones are too small, when the dogs get bigger, as one of my "eating machines" swallowed one-(I didn't even know it) until VERY LUCKILY she vomited it up!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I stopped using Nylabones because they develop rough edges from all the chewing and Blue was cutting his gums on them.
So we stick with the various Kongs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We give our pups Nylabones and Kongs.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I made the mistake of giving Rocco the puppy teething nylabone when he was teething. Needless to say it lasted two days. Durachews all the way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I stopped using Nylabones because they develop rough edges from all the chewing and Blue was cutting his gums on them.
So we stick with the various Kongs.

I Dremel those edges off.... :D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
I quit giving Nylabones after I heard that it's what keeps a doggie dentist in business. Kongs, Goughnuts, and some from Okra..

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
This may sound strange... but Kevin's (11 weeks old) favorite chew toy is an actual 'human' baby teething toy :)

MUN-75401-4.jpg

He goes NUTS for this thing!! I paid ~$4 for it from Walmart. I'm sure he'll destroy it when he gets older but for now its the best 'puppy un-crazy-ifier' i've ever seen.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.