Beach

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Sorry for all the posts, just trying to fill my head with all the right answers as my puppy grows (he will be arriving in about 12 hrs!)..during the summer here in south Texas we frequently go to the beach. How safe is the beach especially if it's 90-100deg weather? I tried the search function and saw someone use a cooling vest. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

Baxter Tiberius

Sorry for all the posts, just trying to fill my head with all the right answers as my puppy grows (he will be arriving in about 12 hrs!)..during the summer here in south Texas we frequently go to the beach. How safe is the beach especially if it's 90-100deg weather? I tried the search function and saw someone use a cooling vest. Thanks again.

Someone can correct me if i am wrong here, but thats a huge "no".

My understanding is that english bulldogs should not be outside at all, let alone outside and active in temps over 78 degrees. Was that the recommended temp?

I have a friend who is a vet who is morally opposed to people even owning english bulldogs in Florida / Texas, etc because many of them aren't responsible about temperature awareness and the dogs end up getting overheated and die.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Thanks for the reply Baxter. Guess Ace will stay in the AC in the hotel room ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Eric, people do use a cooling vest, but that will only help a little. Bullies don't do well in the heat, they don't tolerate extreme temperatures hot or cold, and they can get heat exhaustion very quickly. The most they should be out in the heat in the hot summer sun is 10 to 15 minutes. They need to have access to water as well, and should it run or be to active in the sun either. In the summer time here, we get pretty hot temperatures and lots of humidity. I usually only let them out to go potty during the day, and then right back inside to the air conditioning. We usually take them down to the park or the river early in the morning or later in the evening when the temperatures are cooler, they go for a short run or play in the park, and only for about 20 minutes. The heat is very dangerous for our bullies, so I wouldn't be taking him to the beach or outside for a whole day, or a long day outside walking, running, or any kind of exercise. The safest place for your bully on a hot day is inside in the air conditioning, or at an indoor doggie daycare are or an indoor dog playground.

TastetheRainbow

Jan 14, 2014
Killeen, TX
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Erebus
While I don't necessarily agree that it is right, there is a couple I know that goes to the lake daily with their English bulldog. He loves going out in the water and once he's had enough, they go home. I've never seen a happier dog in my life. He runs for the water and jumps right in like he was born for swimming. If you do take him, just be sure to keep a close eye on him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You need to be vigilant in any extreme weather when it comes to bulldogs… here in TN it can get extremely hot!!! I would take my dogs out in the early morning hours, or later in the day when things cooled off… I have never taken them to the beach before, but I know of members who have and I will tag them to get their opinions on this.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Even though we have a pool, a pool for Ruthie, shade and fresh water, we have to keep a very careful eye on her in the heat and humidity. If we go anywhere she will stay inside and I take her fresh, iced water. I only walk her in the late evening for short walks. She loves the water but that is not enough to keep her cool. I think if you were to take him to the beach you would have to do very early morning and very late evening and even watch him closely then.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so I know the heat isn't good for them, but the reason I would NEVER take any dog to the beach is we had a camper way back when and we brought our lab with us camping at the ocean. All was good until we got home. We went to bed and the next day we awoke to a strange foul smell. Well guess what, the dog apparently drank some of the ocean salt and proceeded to have diarrhea all over the house. Thank god I was pregnant at the time and my husband had to shampoo all the carpet in the house. Thank god we don't live there anymore. NO MORE DOGS AT THE BEACH FOR ME!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
While it is not advisable to have them out in the heat for so long it can be done if you prepare and if the beach where you go allows you to drive on it. I have a large truck so this is made much easier. We always take large amounts of clothing that we will keep in a separate cooler just for Harlea and continuously change her shirts every 30 minutes or so with a fresh cold one and always have lots of cold water for her to keep cool. I also take a generator, canopy and about 300 gallons of water with us and hook up a misting system to the canopy to keep things cool as the canopy is large enough to fit over my truck and still provide more than enough space for us to lounge around and have plenty of shade if we want. We also bring her crate with us and I will leave the truck running and the AC on full blast and she will go in it to get out of the heat and nap for a bit. Even then we will only stay for about half the time we normally would as I just don't like taking chances with Harlea even though I am prepared to do everything to keep her cool it is a risk I don't take too often.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with with what everyone has said here, you've got to keep an eye on them and prepare for the heat. We've taken Buster to the beach but it's always been early morning when the heat isn't to bad and he always gets a good bath when we get back home..

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't have too much to add as everyone has made some great suggestions/given feedback already. I also take my boys out very early in the a.m. when I know the temps will be a hot one that day, and then leave them indoors the rest of the day. They both have those cooling vests and cooling collars but when the temps hit in the upper 70's, they still only go out for potty breaks, then it's back inside.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everyone else, in that you need to keep a close eye out. I would take him out early in the morning while it is still cool, but once it gets hot, no way Jose.

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Also agree. He would nevet be able to tolerate it. Im lucky if I could get my dog to go pee in that weather lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Apart from temperature issues, you may need to consider algae - there are some poisonous ones that can be dangerous to dogs (perhaps not in your area, though?). When we first took Castor to the seaside he was way too interested in eating seaweed (not the dangerous kind but still not recommended, I think).

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
While it is not advisable to have them out in the heat for so long it can be done if you prepare and if the beach where you go allows you to drive on it. I have a large truck so this is made much easier. We always take large amounts of clothing that we will keep in a separate cooler just for Harlea and continuously change her shirts every 30 minutes or so with a fresh cold one and always have lots of cold water for her to keep cool. I also take a generator, canopy and about 300 gallons of water with us and hook up a misting system to the canopy to keep things cool as the canopy is large enough to fit over my truck and still provide more than enough space for us to lounge around and have plenty of shade if we want. We also bring her crate with us and I will leave the truck running and the AC on full blast and she will go in it to get out of the heat and nap for a bit. Even then we will only stay for about half the time we normally would as I just don't like taking chances with Harlea even though I am prepared to do everything to keep her cool it is a risk I don't take too often.

Can I come to the beach with you? :p
That really is awesome that you can bring your truck (and all the other gear) on the beach. No way does that happen in jersey!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online