Adopted a Bulldog, Previous Owner Wants to Stud Him

Jeff Walden

Jan 13, 2014
California / Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi everyone! I'm new here so if I managed to post this in the incorrect category, you won't offend me by moving it around.

Last month I adopted Winston, an 11 month old English Bulldog. His previous owners have two other bulldogs, both female. The intention was to stud Winston with the younger of their females. They asked me not to neuter him for 9-12 months while they made sure that Lola was ready. Okay, no problem - I agreed.

About two weeks after bringing Winston home I took him to my vet for a routine exam just to make sure that he didn't see anything I should be concerned about. Turns out that I should have felt up my dog because only one of his testicals had descended. I guess I just didn't look closely enough at his balls given that I am a firm believer in having my pets neutered anyway. The vet strongly recommended that I have him neutered as soon as possible to prevent further complications and to avoid cancer. I explained the agreement I have with his previous owners and he grew even more concerned as he explained to me that not only should Winston not be studded because he only has use of one ball, but the fact that one hasn't yet descended is a genetic problem and shouldn't be bred into future litters. He used bigger words, but that was his point.

I called the previous owners and asked them if they knew about this. I also wanted to know if they still had any intention of studding Winston now that they know he has a genetic condition and even without the genetic condition only has a single ball to work with which is less than ideal. To my utter surprise, they brushed it off. I was told that they spoke with their vet and as long as Winston is neutered before two years of age he will be just fine. They aren't at all worried about his genetic condition because it's recessive and as long as Lola isn't a carrier, there won't be a problem. I was literally left speechless.

At the end of the day, I don't feel comfortable allowing Winston to be studded out when I know he has a genetic condition that if at all possible should not be passed on. On the other hand, I have a gentlemen's agreement with them that I would not neuter him and allow him to be studded one time for their own use. I'm really torn here and not sure what to do.

Does anybody know any more about Winston's situation that my vet didn't tell me? Maybe it's not as serious as he was letting on. Maybe it is and his previous owners are downplaying the situation to get what they want. I'm really looking for any advice and medical knowledge that will help me to know I'm making the correct choice.

Either way, Winston is getting neutered. It's just a matter of when that is going to happen: this month or ten months from now.

Thanks!
Jeff

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Jeff, welcome to EBN. Going to tag a few members that might be able to help

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hi Jeff! Welcome to EBN. I also have male that had an eye defect (severe entropion) and so we had him neutered at the time of his eye surgery so I understand your concerns. Do you have any type of written agreement with the previous owners that could result in them taking you to court for not allowing the breeding to happen? If not, then it really is your choice right? I wish you and Winston the best and hope it drops soon? LOL

OP
Jeff Walden

Jeff Walden

Jan 13, 2014
California / Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Two surgeries in one day? Sounds like your guy got a whole lot of TLC in a short amount of time. Hope he recovered okay!

There is no written agreement, so legally I'm free to do whatever I feel is in the best interest of Winston - which I firmly believe is the priority that should come first anyway. That being said, we did have a gentlemen's agreement that I would hold off neutering him for a year until they could breed Lola. Though this agreement was made before I knew that Winston had a medical reason to be neutered sooner than later.

If it doesn't drop soon, does anyone else have experience with this and if it could cause any problems? Oh man, poor guys balls are the topic of conversation all over the internet now!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello and welcome to EBN! I know that it IS wrong to use a dog for breeding with a retained testicle. It is a genetic fault. It can become cancerous. Your "sellers" sound like they are only interested in having puppies to make some cash, and not concerned with improving or protecting the integrity of the breed. If Winston is officially your dog, and you were unaware of his condition when you made the unwritten agreement, therefore the agreement (since they surely knew the problem with the dog) should be voided. They were dishonest from the beginning. I wouldn't worry about them-just YOUR dog. Even in court,, you would probably win, as they had the dog (I assume) for all these months and must have known his condition. I had a tiny toy poodle, whom I had bought as a baby-intending to use him for breeding. He, too wound up having an undescended testicle, and I had the surgery done, and I had paid quite a bit of money to buy him. I would not breed him. He was a pet and a loved one.
It is possible that his testicle could still drop-but odds are against it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello and welcome to EBN! I know that it IS wrong to use a dog for breeding with a retained testicle. It is a genetic fault. It can become cancerous. Your "sellers" sound like they are only interested in having puppies to make some cash, and not concerned with improving or protecting the integrity of the breed. If Winston is officially your dog, and you were unaware of his condition when you made the unwritten agreement, therefore the agreement (since they surely knew the problem with the dog) should be voided. They were dishonest from the beginning. I wouldn't worry about them-just YOUR dog. Even in court,, you would probably win, as they had the dog (I assume) for all these months and must have known his condition. I had a tiny toy poodle, whom I had bought as a baby-intending to use him for breeding. He, too wound up having an undescended testicle, and I had the surgery done, and I had paid quite a bit of money to buy him. I would not breed him. He was a pet and a loved one.
It is possible that his testicle could still drop-but odds are against it.

I agree, also make sure you get written documentation from your vet and probably another one that it is being done for medical purposes and the health of your boy.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome Jeff, Winston is really beautiful:) I don't know what I would have done in your situation... I find it strange that they want to breed with him still:unsure: If I had a good relationship with my vet I'd probably ask him to phone the breeder and explain the seriousness about breeding him. I hope they reconsider breeding him as it's a genetic condition AND it may cause issues for your boy to wait with the neutering. Hope everything works out:)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with all above, Winston should be neutered and not bred. I think it is commendable that you want to uphold your end of the deal, but you are not dealing with honest, reputable people so it becomes impossible for you to be the stand up guy you are. I would worry only about the health of Winston and move on. Having documentation that it is medically necessary to neuter right away is a great idea, Good luck.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think I would make sure I had all the documentation proving he's my dog before doing anything else.
Dog license, vet bills, AKC registration. I mean everything!!

Once that got done, I'd get him neutered.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others. The breeder you got him from in my opinion is not a reputable breed for several reasons and this is why he needs to be neutered. Don't get me wrong. he is a handsome bully, but he is a tricolored bully with mainly black in his color and that is undesirable by AKC, and should not be breed. Plus his genetic defect should not be breed either, not to mention his heath problem. So I would have him neutered. Since you do not have a contract with them, you shouldn't have that much of a problem with them. Just get it in writing from your vet. They will try to tell you that the black is rare and they get good money for it, but it should never be bred. I believe in breeding to the AKC standard and trying to always improve the breed and not try to breed "rare" colors.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Just a question because I have a curious mind. Do you know why black is an undesirable color with AKC? I now understand that is why it is so rare though.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=6425]Dee J[/MENTION] because Black is a dominate color, and if it is allowed then eventually it will take over.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Get him fixed.. The old owner is just that, the old owner. A respectable breeder would not breed him, sounds like the guy just wants to make cash..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.