Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thats right... im starting another.. Insurance thread!!!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thats right... im starting another.. Insurance thread!!!

My method (I do this for my family as well):

In my people-medical method -
    1.) I invest a lot of time and money on good nutrition and exercise for my family.
    2.) We partnered with Holistic M.D.'s- pediatrician, gynecologist, and family doctor.
    3.) I invest in an Emergency Insurance Plan - I'm self-employed so I bought this Emergency Hospitalization/Surgical Insurance Plan from Blue Cross that covers any hospital costs (meds, doctors, and bed), emergency room costs that end up in a hospital stay, or any surgical procedures in or out of the hospital. That's it. It doesn't cover doctor visits or prescriptions unless it is associated with a hospital stay. I spent $125 per month that covers my family of 4 with no deductible or out-of-pocket expenses for covered items.
    4.) I put $375/month or more on a Health Savings Account.
    5.) I maintain a good credit rating to keep a very high max limit on my credit card for big emergencies.

Observations: (I did this for over 10 years until Blue Cross cancelled my insurance plan to comply with Obamacare).

1.) In the 10+ years that we were doing this, our HSA investment is currently well over 6 figures even after using the HSA money for doctors visits, presciption meds, allergy tests/nebulizers/epipens/etc. (I have a kid that have multiple allergies including peanuts!) including dental and vision costs, and legally required immunizations.
    2.) Being self-pay for doctor's visits, meds, lab work, immunizations, etc., I end up paying almost the same as a regular insurance co-pay. Interestingly. My doctor is quite good at finding low cost alternatives!
    3.) Leveraging Holistic Medicine, my children (now ages 10 and 12) has only had 3 anti-biotic treatments combined - once for a broken elbow that had to get pinned (full hospital and surgical costs covered by insurance), another for 12 stitches on an eyebrow (surgical procedure covered by insurance), and once for pneumonia (hospital stay covered by insurance). When they get an ear infection, the pediatrician hands me a nutrition plan (for me too when I was breastfeeding) and garlic/willow ear drops. We average 1 visit to the doctor a year for yearly well-checks plus some phone calls for things like "my toddler is vomitting and has diarrhea" for which the doctor would say, "give him pedialyte and if it's still going in in 24 hours call me back.". I haven't had it last more than 24 hours yet.

I mention all this so you can kinda understand why I say this about the dogs:
    Pet Method:
    1.) Invest time and money on nutrition and exercise.
    2.) Partner with a good, reliable, knowledgeable, trustworthy vet.
    3.) Pet Insurance is relatively a jillion times more expensive than People Insurance. I don't bother with it.
    4.) I put money on a Pet Savings Account for regular budgeted expenses such as immunizations and yearly well-check, grooming, etc., as well as emergencies.
    5.) I maintain good credit rating to have a high max limit on a Credit Card that I plan to use for pet emergencies that is beyond my Savings Account.

Alternatively - I tried this once for my dental work that cost me $5K. I used Care Credit to pay for it. It's basically a no-interest for 1 year loan that only covers medical expenses. From what I understand, they have a Pet care plan too. I paid off the loan in 1 year using automatic deductions from the bank so I don't forget. It worked great.

$50/month for an average Bulldog lifespan of 8 years = $4,800. That doesn't count deductibles. You can put $50/month in an interest-bearing federally insured savings account and if the dog gets sick, you can use the money. If it goes beyond $4,800, you can use Care Credit or take out a loan and pay $50/month until it's paid off. In the meantime, invest in good preventive methods.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-14-2014 at 02:33 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well Shy wasnt insured and i learned a hard way -in the first year of her life we were £8000 down in vet fees
    I wouldn't be able to save all this in a year! ,her second year was much better only 3000 lol
    Lilly on the other hand i wont even mention how much this shark cost me
    In my case i wouldn't risk not having an insurance -i pray that my girls will be healthy but -you never know
    My friend puts money in a savings account -since her dog is allergic and have hd -sadly shes in a huge debt with her vet
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

We talked about getting insurance for Stinky .But Leon thought it would be a waste of money. I shouldn't have listen to him. Last year we spent over $4000 and he just turn a year old in Dec. My sister is Stinky's God mother but she has had second thoughts after seeing what we spent on vet bills.....lol.

Baxter Tiberius

Yeah without pet insurance, I would be out well over $8,000 USD right now with baxter.

Very glad I signed up the week before he came home.

I have GoPetPlan and im not too incredibly happy with them right now. They've been accusing me of trying to hide information that he was sick during the whopping 14 day waiting period (he wasnt). So they're asking for proof that he was well, even though he had a clean bill of health given to him 7 days into the 14 day waiting period. I mean ... talk about nitpicking .... 7 days .... over 6 months ago.

Anyways I guess thats what sleezy insurance company people do for a living.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Well my experience w/Trupanion as of today has been horrid… they have denied Winston's entire surgery & all the pre-op visits because my vet mentioned the word Entropion on his medical charts before I got the insurance. Mind you… this was NOT a diagnosis, he just mentioned it. They said my vet could write a letter to appeal this claim, but after I talked to her I'm pretty sure it will be rejected. Now I'm considering taking Roxie off the insurance because she is 9 years old… any mention of ANYTHING that has happened in the last 9 years will NOT be covered. Whether it's confirmed or not… it's total BS!!! I think I'll take my chances w/a saving plan and God forbid use the CareCredit or get another credit card for the pets. This was a painful lesson learned…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Well my experience w/Trupanion as of today has been horrid… they have denied Winston's entire surgery & all the pre-op visits because my vet mentioned the word Entropion on his medical charts before I got the insurance. Mind you… this was NOT a diagnosis, he just mentioned it. They said my vet could write a letter to appeal this claim, but after I talked to her I'm pretty sure it will be rejected. Now I'm considering taking Roxie off the insurance because she is 9 years old… any mention of ANYTHING that has happened in the last 9 years will NOT be covered. Whether it's confirmed or not… it's total BS!!! I think I'll take my chances w/a saving plan and God forbid use the CareCredit or get another credit card for the pets. This was a painful lesson learned…
    Sorry to hear that

It won't help you now... but since starting this thread i found a company offers a "medical history review". In a nutshell they go over your dogs medical history when you sign up and tell you what they consider pre-existing and how it will affect future claims.

http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/a...history-review

It's too bad more companies don't do this... but then most would rather have you keep paying your monthly payment without knowing.

I've signed Molly and Kevin both up and requested their reviews. It will be interesting to see what they come back with.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Sorry to hear that

It won't help you now... but since starting this thread i found a company offers a "medical history review". In a nutshell they go over your dogs medical history when you sign up and tell you what they consider pre-existing and how it will affect future claims.

http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/a...history-review

It's too bad more companies don't do this... but then most would rather have you keep paying your monthly payment without knowing.

I've signed Molly and Kevin both up and requested their reviews. It will be interesting to see what they come back with.
    You will have to let me know what they say, I'm curious to see what they would say about my boxer… Thanks for the info, and I hope that it works out for you guys!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads