Ceramic Bowl/ Douxo / Food ??

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hey all, I have read over several methods to get rid of the Chin Acne on my pup. He has always had a little pimple here and there, but now it seems worse and a couple weeks ago a few were bleeding. He currently uses stainless bowls, water with acv, dry his chin as much as possible after drinking, put baby power on his chin at night. I just ordered some (6) things of the Douxo pads on Amazon to try that. But I have read that people switched to ceramic bowls and that cleared it up as well. Any recommendations on some SLOW FEEDER ceramic bowls.... definitely need a slow feeder because I firmly believe he would suck up his food faster than a vacuum if not. Attached is a pic.

photo (2).jpg

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I usually simply use a really warm wash rag and hold on the pimple areas when cleaning the face. This helps open up the pores and clean. I have sometimes also used a cotton swab with witch hazel and on occasions stridex medicated pads [ he don't like that] For Ace it seems just regular cleaning the area with a warm rag and watching that the area doesn't get infected works about as well as anything else. Its hormones and usually works its course and they go away and then later may have another breakout or so it has been with Ace.

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
My go to is witch hazel wipes. Igor got the chin nasties in the beginning and this has helped greatly. I have a tough time locating them locally so I order them online.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use Pyrex glass dishes and water bowls. I buy them at the Goodwill, or other thrift stores. I usually have extras. When I get home, I clean them well with bleach, and rinse well. Have never had chin problems-but maybe I have just been lucky-so far! I have always had animals-so learned to save $ where I can. That is all I have ever used for dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Slow feeding.... I have a hoover too, just add a little water to the food which makes it difficult for them to gobble ti up so fast. You cna also add a ball to the bowl and they have to eat around it.

I use witch hazel to clean Banks chin.... she tends to get some bump/pimples in the summer when her allergies are real bad, but the witch hazel does help

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just make sure the ball is LARGE enough so they don't swallow IT!!! It HAS been known to happen. They do sell a stainless steel ball just for slowing them down. With horses, I used to put a big rock in their feeder.

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Funny enough, Ulysses also had major chin acne using a slow feeding bowl. Its from amazon, plastic, shaped like a maze. He needs it as he inhales his food. We took him to our vet and she said to use OXY pads for sensitive skin. It worked like a charm!!!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
My Ruckus had a similar, but it seems like smaller, bout of chin pimples when he was a younger pup. What really worked for me was to wipe his face and chin down with a rag with warm water after each meal. He eventually grew out of the acne. What he didn't grow out of was the gulping down of his food. I bought him the large size Omega Paw Portion Pacer Ball in porcelain and it helped tremendously. He doesn't love the ball, but I can actually hear him chewing and coming up for air in between bites.

Most Reactions