Puppies and stairs?

mybullymiley

Jan 6, 2014
Kent Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Miley is 11 weeks old now and she has figured out how to climb our stairs. The stairs are indoors and carpeted. I heard somewhere that EBs shouldn't be climbing stairs. Anyone got any information about EBs and stairs. The breeder said that Miley's mom climbs stairs just fine and often. If it is okay, is she too young?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You just need to be careful with bullies walking up/down stairs b/c it can be hard on their joints. When they're young like Miley, the stairs can cause stress on her growing bones so i'd probably gate off the stairs for the time being.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Henny, also I'd be afraid that because Miley is still a puppy and full of energy, she could come down the stairs too fast, and being that EB's are so head and top heavy, she could tumble down the stairs, and get hurt.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the above statements… we gated off our stairs because I was afraid my bullies would get hurt!!!

ellis302

Jan 8, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Reba
Hi my little baby Reba is that same age as Miley. She Can go upstairs but is afraid to go down stairs. I try to carry her up the stairs but, we have two other older dogs that she is trying to keep up with so she will run up after them at times.

J

joshray

What age would you let your puppy start using stairs? We have two steps off our back door that our puppy climbs up to get back in after going outside. I have an appointment with our vet next week and plan to ask him, but I thought I'd get your opinions too. Thanks.

For the record, he tried going down the stairs a few times but his fat head was too heavy and his back legs started coming off the ground (almost did a somersault down the step). He seems to come up the stairs with no problems, and will go up on his own when he's ready to go back inside.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.