not chewing his food

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Can anyone help me out? Chesty won't chew his food. Then afterwards he will throw it up ): I don't know if smaller kernel dog food will help. Anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Slow feed bowl help as does wetting the food a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As the guys mentioned... I use Fromm and add a little water ti Banks kibble.... She is a vacuum cleaner when eating---done in seconds when no water in the bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Check out the slow feed bowls or put a couple golf balls in chestys bowl. Both options use the same principle. You can get a couple golf balls from a golf driving range for a dollar or two. Good luck :rundog:

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I'm using the slow feed ball for Rocco because he was a vacuum as well. We tried the slow feed bowl but he had too much trouble eating from it lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I added water to Winston's food to help him slow down… it worked!!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Something as simple as a larger feeding utensil may do the trick, it did for Ace. He would literally inhale his food it seems. I could place his bowl down and walk to another room to put the other dogs bowl down and when I returned to the kitchen he would be finished eating, this took less than half a minute. He never would throw it up but I knew it was too fast. By chance I have remedied the problem or at least slowed him down a bit. His regular eating bowl a ceramic dog bowl got a chip on it so we took it out of service and looked for another bowl as a standby until we could replace. We had a corningware casserole dish that we have had for many years it has a lot larger surface area than a bowl but of course not as deep. So now the food is spread around the bottom of the dish and when Ace is eating out of it he inadvertently nudges the food around in the dish so it takes him a bit longer to eat the same amount. It's worked like a charm and so I have made the casserole dish his regular feeding bowl

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
All of these suggestions help. Buster used to inhale his food so fast when he was a puppy. They never seem to chew much anyway but wetting the kibble and making a bit of a gravy and letting the food soften a bit does help. I also started feeding half raw venison with the kibble when Buster and Miss Tallulah were older which is mushy too. The other thing we did for Miss Tallulah and Buster was at about 8 months using slightly raised dishes. There is some controversy around this but for us it has worked beautifully. Out bullies seldom have gas :no: anymore.

This may sound totally crazy and forgive me for asking but does Chesty have tiny nostrils? When Buster got his nares lasered because they were pretty tiny ( vet tested them when he was a puppy and said it would be helpful to enlarge them when her was neutered which I did) he significantly slowed down his eating. The vet said that was common, sometimes Bullies will gulp way faster when they have compromised breathing. Not sure of the whole anatomy and physiology of the reason but in Buster's case this was true. Again this may not have any thing to do with Chesty's eating issues but I thought I would mention it just because of my experience with Buster. The other issue of throwing up food is not a huge deal for dogs in and of itself but you will want to get to the root cause for peace of mind.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
I would never suggest adding something to the bowl that could be swallowed by accident. We tried everything, so did the easiest,safest thing. Quit feeding her all at once. We feed her twice a day, and talk about 30-45 minutes doing so.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Something as simple as a larger feeding utensil may do the trick, it did for Ace. He would literally inhale his food it seems. I could place his bowl down and walk to another room to put the other dogs bowl down and when I returned to the kitchen he would be finished eating, this took less than half a minute. He never would throw it up but I knew it was too fast. By chance I have remedied the problem or at least slowed him down a bit. His regular eating bowl a ceramic dog bowl got a chip on it so we took it out of service and looked for another bowl as a standby until we could replace. We had a corningware casserole dish that we have had for many years it has a lot larger surface area than a bowl but of course not as deep. So now the food is spread around the bottom of the dish and when Ace is eating out of it he inadvertently nudges the food around in the dish so it takes him a bit longer to eat the same amount. It's worked like a charm and so I have made the casserole dish his regular feeding bowl

Now THAT is brilliant. Makes sense.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I purchased a large slow feed ball and it worked miracles. Raven now takes her time and I rarely ever have to use it anymore. I wouldn't use anything small such as a golf ball because anything these stinkers can swallow they will.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Another idea [ and this suggestion came from the lady who co owns the pet supply store where I get my dog food] she suggested, and obviously from her quick suggestion this has been asked of her before, she suggested using a baking pan. The food is spread out over a larger area and so it takes the dog longer to eat. So I did a quick search on Amazon and you can purchase a stainless steel baking pan for about the price of a good quality dog bowl.

Last edited:
OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] no chesty's nostrials are a good size so said the vet.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I've tried a slow feed bowl but chesty can't eat out of them and has for wetting down his food to slow him down, i've tried that and he wants nothing to do with it. but i will try putting his food in a cake pan or something so that way it is spread out more! thanks for the idea everyone!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.