Day Two of 16 little paws running around

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Last night went exceptionally better then the first day! For starters, I didn't get bit :) We kept Mary away from LuLu with the puppy gate. Mary laid by the gate and watched Brutus & LuLu play, but that's as close as we got it. LuLu starting going in and out of the doggy door by her self last night, instead of barking and crying at it like it might attack her lol She slept in her crate in our room with her crate door open, and we woke up to ZERO messes on the floor **yay** Of course when I got up at 4:30 to pee, LuLu wanted to go too, so out we all went & BRRRR it's cold in Texas! Probably not as cold as a lot of you are dealing with right now :p The only thing we really need to work on at the moment is getting her to eat, she is so distracted by everyone & everything else we have to put her by herself, and sit with her while she eats. I'm sure that will come with time, as she was use to being an only dog & didn't have "dinner or breakfast time". If anyone has any experience with that, I'm all ears! The next thing is LuLu is VERY hypher, I mean she wants to play from when she wakes up till we go to bed. I don't remember Brutus being like that when he was a puppy, he has always loved his snuggle & nap times a LOT. I'm hoping Saturday when we are home all day instead of work, that might help some. Any help there would be great too! We are really big on routines for all the dogs, so hopefully that helps LuLu's transition. Now I'm at work and just wishing I was home with all our monsters! Happy Hump Day!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I think I read in another post that Lulu is 6 months? If that's incorrect I apologize!! If i'm correct then I would say June is very similar to Lulu in that she wants to play all.the.time. She just turned 7 months and she gets more and more mellow as time goes on, but when she was younger it was play play play non stop! The best thing for us is just giving her a lot of attention when we come home and try to wear her out by playing fetch and going on walks. That may be easier said that done for us seeing as how we only have 4 little paws running around haha. Weekends are a lot easier because she's used to sleeping all day while we're at work. So she'll take a few naps throughout the day while we're home.

And yes it's so freaking cold in TX! And go figure June wants to take her sweet time outside in the mornings haha.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi, I am glad to hear that things went well , with Brutus and Lulu playing and Mary looking on. Everything is new to Lulu-even getting to play! She is young yet, and still has a lot of puppy energy. One of mine is 7 months and has just started to settle down" A Little!" She is one of the MOST hyper pups I have ever had! Also, when you only have ONE dog-they have no one to play with but you, and I don't think that they get as "wound up". So much for the myth of "lazy bulldogs!" As for her eating-even if you take a dog on a trip-sometimes they won't eat for 2 or 3 days in a new setting. She is just so busy taking it all in!! Like a kid first time at the circus!ha!ha! All is new to her-it will take awhile to get into the routine. I would feed her seperately until she gets into your normal routine. I would not try to include Mary until the pup settles in some, she is still too hyper. There are some natural calming products that come in a paste form, that I have seen on animal supply sites-and probably Petco. If you have to go that far...you might want to give some to Mary-hee,hee:p Sounds like so far-so good. Where do they stay while you are at work? In crates?

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulks 5 months and has tons of energy! He plays from when he wakes up til around 8 (give or take)....and thTs with me attempting to wear him out. It's brutally cold in Kentucky right now so walks aren't an option but when it's warmer I take him for walks to help expend some of the energy. Right now I'm keeping him busy by having a puppy nylabone sticking out from his kong lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulks 5 months and has tons of energy! He plays from when he wakes up til around 8 (give or take)....and thTs with me attempting to wear him out. It's brutally cold in Kentucky right now so walks aren't an option but when it's warmer I take him for walks to help expend some of the energy. Right now I'm keeping him busy by having a puppy nylabone sticking out from his kong lol.
Did you get Hulk in Ky? I am hoping to see some pups related to mine. They were from Ky.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's so good that it worked out last night, I think you're right on, everything will be fine once she learns the routine. Hopefully Saturday will be a good learning day for her. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
LuLu is still young and they love to play. I would limit their plat time to about 30 minutes at a time then they get a time out to rest for awhile, this will keep her from getting too tired and playing too rough.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Treadmills are great for burning off excess energy, they adapt quicker
than you think, be patient but consistent. Cami's going to use mine as
soon as it comes out of storage :) So is her Momma (me)!!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
My work computer must hate me this week, for some reason it won't let me reply with quote. Any who, [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] & [MENTION=9325]Samantha Orts[/MENTION] we thought she was six months until I picked up her vet records yesterday.... nope she is a little over 9 months - 3/29. Which makes her and Brutus a little closer in age, they are nine months apart. I'm really hoping the weekend at home where she doesn't have to be crated will help with blowing off some energy. I got her a elk antler yesterday too, so she has something to put some energy in. It's been raining here since yesterday and suppose to continue through tomorrow so we haven't gotten to play outside too much. Last night was identical to Tuesday night. Everything seems to be going good..... or course I wish LuLu's 4:30 wake up call could wait another 30 minutes, but who needs sleep anyways lol @TexasCarol - I'm with you LuLu and I both need to wipe the dust off of our treadmill and burn some energy... or was that calories for me? Darn!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Grr my update for yesterday didn't post.... Last night was the same as the second night. All three played and ran around the house sliding the area carpets all over the house on the wood floor. It can be kind of comical at times. I got LuLu an antler yesterday, so hopefully she loves them as much as Brutus does. LuLu does have a habit the last two mornings of a 4:30 wake up call! I mean coming to my side of the bed licking, crying, jumping then going to the other side and doing the same thing until we get up. lol crazy girl

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@Davidh is right. Sometimes when they get too wound-you have to stop it. Even with mine, sometimes it gets a little too close to "fighting" when they are getting too wound and tired. Nine months is still a puppy-and don't forget she' d probably never had playmates-and is like a kid getting to have candy!!
Sometimes I feel like I hate coming home, because my dogs get hysterical, and don't calm down for about 5 minutes! I will be so happy when my "doggie room" is finished.( Have to budget a little at a time...) Sounds like it will work out. Mary will never "like" her-but SHE has to learn to leave Mary .You know, if you hadn't named her Mary.."Mary, Mary, quite contrary...":) It will happen-eventually! I KNOW about the early wake up calls. :fie:ha!ha! Carpet rides-NOW it sounds like MY house!!!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Doggie room? I need one of those! What are you building/decorating, in a spare bedroom? Once LuLu exerts some energy on Saturday we are going to put them on their leashes and just have those two with us in the front of the house for a while. Little bits of time together, and as time goes by we are crossing our fingers it will be okay! LuLu didn't have playmates other then her skin sister, who is two. I think she spent a lot of her time locked up away from everyone and everything too. She enjoys the heck out of the love she gets from us that's for sure!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6425]Dee J[/MENTION] When my hubby was living, we built a screened back porch onto the house. He liked to sit out there, after work(if not too hot)and sometimes have dinner. I have not used it. One day it occurred to me ! If I close it in-I could make it a doggie room! It's about 12 x 16, and just sitting there. I already had some 4x8 in the barn. Bought 4 windows only $31.00 each, and got a used door. porch 002.JPG porch 001.JPG Put little plexiglass windows at the bottom, so the dogs can look out! This is as far as I have gotten. I need to get more OSB to close floor, and then put vinyl floor. AND of course, insulation/siding on outside. Have to pay someone to do outside, cause I can't do it alone. I'll be t the "ungrateful brats" hate it! Ha!ha!.. When it is done, I am going to find a used-but not ucky, leather couch for them to have out there. The try and leave them in their "room" when I have to leave.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I love it! I really love the plexiglass windows for them! Someone in our subdivision cut little holes in their wood fence, and then installed metal mesh so their dogs can look out to the front! I always see them looking out when I drive by. I thought about doing something like this with our spare bedroom, but we plan to get pregnant later, so we'll have to wait till we are in a bigger house for that! Go you for such an awesome thing to do for your babies!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.