Jealousy

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Does your EB get jealous when you pay attention to others dogs in front of him? I just found out today that the staff at the doggy daycare told me that my EB is too aggressive at daycare. He has been attacking other dogs who get more attention than him. They said he gets jealous when he sees the staff, that he likes, petting other dogs. He would start a fight. I am concerned that after 2 years of attending the same daycare, I am just finding out that my dog is a bad boy at daycare. Why didn't they tell me this before?

I know that EB loves people. But what can I do to curb this issue? Help!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
No help on the day care, but god forbid if I have our cat on my lap petting him,. Vegas will bulldoze him right over, I am HIS, not even my husband can get close. LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, they can get pretty jealous of others.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Thank you, folks for the quick responses. Is there anyway to help them to be less jealous and learn to share? Should the staff simply stop showing so much affections to him and he will learn not to like them too much? The last time he came home from daycare, he actually got bitten by a pitbull before the holidays. I was so mad with the daycare that I accused them for not paying attention and that's why they contacted me today to inform me that my bully has been agreesive.

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
I work at a daycare and I refuse to take my bullies there. They pick up so many bad habits from other dogs and the employees don't do anything to redirect. They don't tell you the truth because then they can't collect your money. Bulldogs live and learn so if they around other dogs that have bad behaviors they pick that up really quick. Your dog has learned this new behavior from his doggy daycare. I can't tell you how many dogs that used to come to our daycare don't come any longer because they became aggressive. It's inly a matter of time. Think about it when you get picked on so much you become the picker. I hope things get better for you but I bet it gets worse. :eek:

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I work at a daycare and I refuse to take my bullies there. They pick up so many bad habits from other dogs and the employees don't do anything to redirect. They don't tell you the truth because then they can't collect your money. Bulldogs live and learn so if they around other dogs that have bad behaviors they pick that up really quick. Your dog has learned this new behavior from his doggy daycare. I can't tell you how many dogs that used to come to our daycare don't come any longer because they became aggressive. It's inly a matter of time. Think about it when you get picked on so much you become the picker. I hope things get better for you but I bet it gets worse. :eek:

Thank you very much for the insight [MENTION=9726]Zoebug[/MENTION], I really appreciate it. After the incident, the daycare staff mentioned that they had tried to redirect his behavior when he acts up but they said that I don't bring him to the daycare enough for him to learn the appropriate behavior. They walked him with a leash and when they "feel" he might acts up, they redirect his attention.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As someone else stated... if they tell you, then you stop bringing him and they have no income from you.

I also worked at a dog daycare for 4 yrs. (LOVED it), we were somewhat different as the focus was on training and socializing the dogs. We had many dogs that were asked to leave for the behavior you explained and others had to pay extra for training during day care.

How many times a week does he go and for how long each visit?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie does this to me as well. If Gimli, the big dog tries to get pet, oh boy..she rly gets pissy n will start a fight. I try to pet them both, but she still goes after him. I've read n discussed w others that in my situation, anyway, to walk w both to see if they will bond better n maybe calm things down. I haven't seen any change yet, but I'm trying. I also tell Brie no whn she gets jealous n block her from the other dog w my body. It works sometimes...I was wondering if crating brie the second she starts for about 10 min would help..maybe teach her it's not ok behavior?

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
As someone else stated... if they tell you, then you stop bringing him and they have no income from you.

I also worked at a dog daycare for 4 yrs. (LOVED it), we were somewhat different as the focus was on training and socializing the dogs. We had many dogs that were asked to leave for the behavior you explained and others had to pay extra for training during day care.

How many times a week does he go and for how long each visit?

Hello @2BullyMama, when he was young like 3 months old, he was there everyday but as he grew older, I have started taking him every other days b/c he gets tired the next day. The daycare I go to also offers the similar focus as you do, encouraging socialization and offers educational training. They claim they have been training him but I don't think they are doing a good job. I know that one particular staff tends to hog my Howie's time and not letting him socializing with others. That's what I think. And she causes the increase of jealousy b/c he is now so attached to her.
He normally goes there for the whole day, 8 hours, while I am at work.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Brie does this to me as well. If Gimli, the big dog tries to get pet, oh boy..she rly gets pissy n will start a fight. I try to pet them both, but she still goes after him. I've read n discussed w others that in my situation, anyway, to walk w both to see if they will bond better n maybe calm things down. I haven't seen any change yet, but I'm trying. I also tell Brie no whn she gets jealous n block her from the other dog w my body. It works sometimes...I was wondering if crating brie the second she starts for about 10 min would help..maybe teach her it's not ok behavior?

Thanks, @Lisabear, they said that they had tried removing him but not sure if they have been crating him when he acts up. Personally, the only way to teach EB is thru his tummy. They don't believe in treats, unfortunately. I don't think they know much about the bully breed.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Thanks, @Lisabear, they said that they had tried removing him but not sure if they have been crating him when he acts up. Personally, the only way to teach EB is thru his tummy. They don't believe in treats, unfortunately. I don't think they know much about the bully breed.
Oh yes, bullies are very food motivated! But, if I gave Brie a treat every time she acted up I. Jealousy, she would be the fattest dog on the planet! Lol plays, I don't know f it would teach her to act up for a treat, you know? I'm not sure we will ever stop them from the jealousy. I do know it's frustrating cos she has gotten into several fights w Gimli n try r just getting worse. They have been tug ether for almost a year...you would think things would settle by then lol. If anything seems to work for me, I'll surely let you know! :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus does this as well. He will even do it with my kids although he won't bite or growl at them. If one on the kids are snuggling with me or laying on my bed with me, he will effectively push them with his body until they are off the couch or bed, and then he will sit on me!! Bullys are very very territorial and Bruty loves his mama!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello @2BullyMama, when he was young like 3 months old, he was there everyday but as he grew older, I have started taking him every other days b/c he gets tired the next day. The daycare I go to also offers the similar focus as you do, encouraging socialization and offers educational training. They claim they have been training him but I don't think they are doing a good job. I know that one particular staff tends to hog my Howie's time and not letting him socializing with others. That's what I think. And she causes the increase of jealousy b/c he is now so attached to her.
He normally goes there for the whole day, 8 hours, while I am at work.

You are probably correct, if you do not ave confidence in the training do not pay for it. Maybe, think about taking him once a week, it could also be he is tired and lashing out becasue he can not or does not want to sleep. My boy was like that, if he was tired and a dog came near him, he was not a pleasant boy. My two as well as other Bulldogs that went to daycare usually got 'grumpy' towards the end of the day becasue they 'had enough'

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls are fantastic with each other; they play great and understand each other but they do get jealous if one gets attention the other isn't getting. They will climb over each other to get attention, I must have one hand on each of them and once they calm down then everything is ok. Butt scratches are the worst; one sees the other getting a butt scratch and that is all out war! They will climb over the arm of the c hair to get the same attention. lol I don't take mine to daycares and if I go somewhere without them I have a sitter (my son) at the house with them so I am no help with others outside of their own pack. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online