And Then There Were Four..... And BIG Issues

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I haven't posted in here in quite some time, work has kept me CRAZY busy then the holidays and blah blah! I've been snooping and reading everyone's stories though :) We currently have a CIRCUS going on at our house. Bare with me as I know this is going to be long, but I need some advise. Let me start from the begining..... we have had three dogs for a year in a half until yesterday. Brutus Mayhem our EB (1.5 years old), Marlee Mae (4 years old), and Mary Kate (13) both of which are Jack Russells. Everyone has been living in perfect harmony. Mary, the oldest can be a groutch with other dogs, and I mean BIG time! We have had all three since they were babies so they all grew up together and learned each others ways. Here is where it gets interesting....... A family member could no longer keep their EB (LuLu) as it was to much for them. Let me state I tried and tried to make them understand before they got her, and well it didn't work. LuLu is 6 months old, no training, always been an only dog with her best friend being a 2 year old little girl. I knew I couldn't let LuLu just go to the pound or get sold, so I went and picked her up yesterday thinking I already found her a home with someone that is already an experienced EB owner that was looking for a second. Low and behold, they are not answering my texts. Our next thought was we will see how it goes in our family, we always said when the time came with Mary we would get another EB for Brutus & us of course :) Then there was a dog fight. Mary and LuLu, with me ending up getting dog bit (first time in all my dog loving years) I tried to break it up, so I know Mary wasn't trying to bite me...... We introduced Mary and LuLu outside on leashes, took them for a walk, and then introduced Marlee, Brutus, and LuLu. All was great. Then we took all four to the back yard and let them smell, and feel it out. LuLu smelled Mary's bootie, and boom DOG FIGHT CENTRAL. Since then we have been playing ring around the rosie, as Marlee, Brutus, and LuLu all play and are great together. We either keep the three that get along in one end of the house, and Mary on the other, or switch it around. Any thoughts on trying to get Mary to be nice would be appreciated so much! PSS - LuLu has never been around other dogs, so she doesn't know "dog etiquitte" which makes it harder. LuLu likes to play, and Mary likes to sleep

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, DeeJ, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with dogs not getting along, or adding a new dog to an existing pack, but I would think it would be more difficult with an older dog. You said Mary is 13 years old, so she is definitely a senior dog, and is used to being with the other two, and even with them you said she can be grouchy. Lulu is just a puppy, and probably has a lot of energy for Mary to handle. Mary is set in her ways, so it will more than likely she won't accept l
Lulu. You did everything right when you introduced them to each other on leash and by going for a walk, but being together off leash in the backyard didn't work out. I'm sorry they didn't get along. If you wanted to keep Lulu in your family, then you will have to keep them separated. My best friend has 3 dogs, they are Shitzu mixes, and her daughter has a Blue Heeler, these 4 dogs have always been together and get along really well. Her father has a family member to one of her Shitzu females, I'm not sure if its the brother, but he has been the only dog, and quite spoiled by her parents, he only ever really liked her father. My friend and her family moved in with her parents, (she's an only child) to take care of her parents, her mother has had Alzheimer's for a few years, and her father looked after her, but now he has Dementia, and has wandered a few times, and fell and broke his wrist, so they are now in a home, because my friend can't look after them by herself anymore, and she can't lift her dad to bathe him. She has all 5 dogs, as her daughter lives at home too, and her dads dog Usher is being attacked and picked on by my friends dog China. China has attacked him, and bit him, and made him bleed, she doesn't let him eat, he is an older dog, and that might be some of the problem, as the other dog seems to sense that he is weaker than the rest. It breaks my friends heart, as the house was Ushers and the only home he's ever been in, and now he's being pushed out and attacked. My friend feeds the dogs separately, and keeps Usher in the Master bedroom which used to be her Dads room, and she lets them out separately as well. The other dogs get along with Usher so they can be together, so she alternates them, and puts China in a separate room when Usher is out. Since the dogs are older its not likely that they will learn to get along, and so the only thing you can do is keep them apart if you want to keep them. Good luck, and I hope it works out, or you can find Lulu a good home if you can't keep them apart. Please keep us posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say it's going to take some time for them both to get used to each other. You might have to leash one or both of them when they are in the same room together so you can control them better, until they get used to each other and are getting along.

Becky Zerkel Heft

May 5, 2013
I have four. Two boxers that I have had since they were puppies and two rescue EBs. We also did introductions outside and a walk together, but We found that initially keeping them separate in the house made a huge difference. It allowed them to get to know each other at a respectful distance. We also would only allow one resident dog at a time with the new dog until trust was established. Then we would add another dog to the mix and go from there. I know having been bit myself it is unsettling, Don't get discouraged it takes time and patience.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We are going through this with a rescue bully. we are dong exactly what Becky said. Keep them separate until they are used to each other and then only introduce on leashes with only the 13yr old and the new puppy. let them get used to interacting this way and then maybe you can try off leash. It is a long tedious process. If you think this is too much for your older dog maybe you can just keep her separate? She probably wont mind.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the advise! I'm going to keep trying, I just want to right by all of them. Mary deserves to be happy, even with her groutchy ways, but I also can't imagine taking LuLu away from Brutus now. I'm hoping it will get better with time. Tonight we are going to go on a walk again with just Mary & LuLu, & then put the three in the front part of the house with us, and Mary on the other side of the gate so she can see them, but not get to them & see if that helps. LuLu and Brutus are SOOOO hypher right now playing, Mary would prefer everyone sleep all day lol They just have to get along darn it! [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] I'm so sorry about your friend. I can't imagine. Mary was my only dog for 5 years, so she has always been a little independent. My mom has her sister, and they fight like crazy! We can't even have them in the same house. Mary has always had to stay home, and all the rest go with me to her house.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a toy poodle who had an attitude like Mary. The other dogs learned not to bother her. Once in awhile there was a fight-usually started by GiGi(the poodle) but they pretty much just left her alone. LuLu is still a baby-and it's all about playing. Mary is a "senior citizen" who says "homey don't play that!" It is probably best to separate Mary, since she is cranky anyway-she would probably not mind too much. When you are all sitting around somewhere, you could bring Mary out and try to work with the pup to leave her alone, so Mary will still be part of the family. It will take work on your part-but the good thing is that the others get along and will play. When the pup gets older and more adjusted to having doggie family-she should settle down, and start to learn to respect Mary. One of my dogs is a "seperatist" and only will play with one at a time-IF she feels like it. It took awhile for the younger ones to get the "message" but now they only play with her if SHE initiates it. Mary may not want to play-but she wants RESPECT like Aretha Franklin!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I had a toy poodle who had an attitude like Mary. The other dogs learned not to bother her. Once in awhile there was a fight-usually started by GiGi(the poodle) but they pretty much just left her alone. LuLu is still a baby-and it's all about playing. Mary is a "senior citizen" who says "homey don't play that!" It is probably best to separate Mary, since she is cranky anyway-she would probably not mind too much. When you are all sitting around somewhere, you could bring Mary out and try to work with the pup to leave her alone, so Mary will still be part of the family. It will take work on your part-but the good thing is that the others get along and will play. When the pup gets older and more adjusted to having doggie family-she should settle down, and start to learn to respect Mary. One of my dogs is a "seperatist" and only will play with one at a time-IF she feels like it. It took awhile for the younger ones to get the "message" but now they only play with her if SHE initiates it. Mary may not want to play-but she wants RESPECT like Aretha Franklin!

You hit the nail on the head! You summed Mary up perfectly! I hope you're right about it working out to, boy I know I want it SOOO bad!

Here are a few pictures of LuLu as well. I should have gotten some of her playing with Brutus too last night, but I was a tad frazzled! Sorry one is sideways, I can't change it from the office
LuLu3.jpgLuLu2.jpgLuLu1.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
awwe, she's a beauty, no wonder Brutus loves her! :) I hope it works out for everyone and you are wonderful to even take her in!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
LuLu is a cutie! Since all get along and play-that will help excess energy! Probably best to bring Mary in the room after the others have had a play session, and LuLu is tired, and won't bug Mary too much. Then if Mary snaps at Lu, tell Lu "leave Mary alone-No Mary doesn't play"/It will work out! Don't try to get Mary "nice"-it won't happen. Just try to teach LuLu not to bug Mary! She will learn it.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered.... Lulu is a cutie pie! Time and patience will pay off, you will have highs and lows, but stay consistent with them

Best of luck and THANK YOU for taking her in!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.