Any special precautions before surgery?

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Stella is scheduled to be spayed on Thursday. I'm pretty nervous. Other than the eating and drinking rules, should I be doing anything else to prep her? She did have anesthesia once early on. The breeder had her umbilical hernia repaired before I purchased her. So, I think it should be just fine. Just scared for my baby!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Carrie, hopefully someone more experienced will be by and comment.
Some of us are still MIA from holidays (me included) and now, so many
affected w/weather issues & preparations for it. Sorry no one has helped
you yet but I will pray for Stella to have uneventful surgery and quick re-
covery and strength, courage & peace for you. Under the Forums may be
some articles to help you. Let us know and GOD bless you & Stella!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Not sure what else you could do hun -apart from food we didnt do nothing else, after we gave bland food , and when Shy was having shivers first day we brought her home we covered her in blankets (but i dont think its a good idea for a bully tho )
I hope everything goes well for you guys xx

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, Carrie I understand you're nervous, my Boeboe had FHO surgery about a week ago and I was a wreak even though she's had surgery before. My 3 Bulldogs have all had surgery, Joey has had FHO on both hips and been spayed, Bennie has been Neutered and Boeboe has had FHO, neutering and Entropion surgery. Your baby Stella has had anesthesia before with good result so all should go well:)

I don't let my bulldogs eat or drink anything from 8pm the night before the day of surgery, I'v read here that 4-6 hours before should be enough but I'm not taking any chances. I feed them at around 6pm so they have a couple of hours to drink after food if they need it and then I take it way. Also it's good to try to keep them from rough playing to avoid muscle pain. Stress is also good to avoid but that can be tricky if your dog doesn't like going to the vet:unsure:.

You also might wanna look in to what kind of anesthesia your vet is planning to use... Someone here mention that there is one called "Ace" that does NOT work well with Bulldogs and that one called "Iso" is good, I believe that is Isoflurane... I can't remember who wrote it:ashamed: Our vet used Halothane but whether that is a good one or not I don't know. I just made sure it wasn't "Ace":).

I go a little crazy when something is wrong with my furkids:blush2: my husband refers to me as the patient... I do really trust my vet, it's more like a hospital and they take all kind of special cases and emergencies so they have everything they could possibly need to care for my babies. Our Dr Dave is great, he even took extra x-rays without charge to make sure his plan on what to do would work perfectly.

I'll be thinking of you and Stella:heart: I believe everything will go well, I hope I didn't make your worry worse with my rambling:eek::hug2:

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
My vet recommended taking up food and water sooner with a bulldog than with other breeds so I took away food and water the night before spay surgery. She did fine for her surgery but was in a little pain afterwards. I put her in bed with me while she was still a little groggy and she did have an accident in bed and she rarely has accidents. I recommend being prepared for that. By the second day after I brought her home, she was starting to act like her normal self. She had no problem eating pain pills with penut butter for the first couple days when I could tell she was feeling pretty tough.

I also remember feeling worried that I couldn't get her to drink water right away after I brought her home. I called my vet and they recommended starting with ice cubes. That seemed to help and then she started drinking water. Hope all is well! I know it's hard not to worry but everything will probably be fine!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The gang has you covered on the food, water and anesthesia, just wanted to give you some hugs and we will be sending prayers. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Stella is scheduled to be spayed on Thursday. I'm pretty nervous. Other than the eating and drinking rules, should I be doing anything else to prep her? She did have anesthesia once early on. The breeder had her umbilical hernia repaired before I purchased her. So, I think it should be just fine. Just scared for my baby!!

Three out of four of mine have been spayed (so far). With hold all food and water after 8 p.m. the night before. My vet is very knowledgeable about Bullies, as he has Fr. and English. I knew that IF anything went wrong (God forbid) it would not be his fault. If your vet is "bully wise" all should be fine. If not-find someone who is. That is an important concern. Read any article on the forum about this and question them-if ;you have any doubts.for you and Stella :pray2::pray::yes:
They spent the night, at the vets, and when I went to pick them up-they acted like nothing had happened-and never did show any indication that they had had surgery.
Just went about their normal life. I TRIED to slow 'em down......:tongue:

Last edited:

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June got spayed a week ago today. We didn't do anything special to prepare her... just the eating and drinking rules like you said. She was totally fine, came home really drowsy from the anesthesia and slept till the morning. The next day she was back to her usual self, which was hard for us because she likes to run and jump on the couch! Yikes... nearly gave me a heart attack because I was afraid she'd rip the stitches. I felt bad putting her in her crate so much, but it was really necessary. I've read that some vets prescribe an antibiotic to take for a couple days-week after surgery as a precaution. Ours didn't and June got a little bit of an infection about a week after surgery. Nothing bad, just a small rash and some oozing from the stitches. Our vet gave us Clavamox for a week and she was noticeably better within a day or 2. She also never wore the cone, even though the vet techs really urged us too. She never tried to mess with the wound, and couldn't reach it even if she wanted to.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
No cone for mine, either. couldn't reach to lick-but never even tried. I was more worried that the others would be licking it! But no one even tried-all was well. No anti-biotics were given-no problems. Even the two halfies could have licked themselves-but they didn't.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nothing to add , a big fat. Hug and some prayers all goes well

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Today is Stella's "Spay Day". Praying all goes well, and she is fine. Let us know.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.