Help With "Crate Time"

JaclynCupcakes

Dec 7, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Weezy
My boyfriend and I both have to be out of the house during the day and are going to be leaving Weezy in a crate. I have been trying to get him use to "Crate Time" during the day and at night.

Weezy HATES this! The first night he literally cried for hours. I thought maybe it was because he wasnt feeling well so we brought him upstairs to our room and put him in his doggy bed and he went right to sleep. But, he woke up a few times and would pee in his bed and then sleep in it. :(

I want him to get use to being in the crate without the barking, howling, and crying. We live in an apartment, so I dont want to be disruptive to the neighbors.

Any idea of what I can do to help with this?

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
You first need to make it a fun place to be which after awhile he will know it is their safe haven and a great place to be. With mine I keep them in a crate when I can't keep my eye on them for the first year. During the day give him toys and things which he simply adores in the crate. I fed my guys in their crates each meal with the door closed and let them out to go to the bathroom and play for awhile afterwards. Then put him back in with a fun toy maybe a kong stuffed with chicken pieces and treats. Some people and I have also stuffed the Kong toy with his first meal and let him get it out if that works do it with the second meal also. Do this till he gets used to the crate. At night leave a radio and night light on....Good luck and hope it doesn't take too long. Takes time but well worth it. Take his bed away if he is peeing on it till he is trained. For some reason they pee on blankets and beds. LOL Just my opinions and what has worked for me.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice from roanne! Also, do NOT take your pup out of the crate if he cries or barks. Instead put a blanket or a sheet over the crate (but make sure you don't have it completely covered so fresh air can get in).

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This thread might also offer some helpful suggestions - it's not easy but be consistent and it will come!

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Sounds like good advice!!! My boyfriend and I have a little guy we get go take home January 6th and we are soooo nervous about crating him and how he will react!!! Let us know how your crate situation works out!!!!! Good luck!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Yeah bullies are just like kids! You have to be consistent every time or they know if I just keep barking or whining I get to come out! It so hard but worth it in the end!! :up:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1570]JaclynCupcakes[/MENTION] I agree with all the advice you've been given above. You just need to be consistent and not let Weezy out of the crate just because he's crying. That's just teaching him that if he cries then he is rewarded with attention!

I notice you're in Ohio ... where?? We are in Medina which is south of Cleveland!!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I don't have much advice on this but everyone seems to have covered it.

I had a lab puppy in an apartment, crated him, he barked the whole time, got complaints, I muzzled him, he ate through the muzzle. I moved.

Hopefully it won't come to that but he should get used to it. Have you considered maybe a doggie daycare a couple times a week?

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
All excellent advice and I have nothing different to add. I followed everyone's advice on here when we got Belly and the crate training was easy. Belly is almost 10 weeks old now. I get up about every 3 hours and take her outto pee. During the day I worry about her so we bought a puppy corral to have in the living room. We are gone to work all day and I hated the thought of her being in her crate all night and all day till we got home so she goes in the corral when we head to work so she can play. Here is our crate set up. Seemed to work better when I added the sheet over the top and sides.

001.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online