Getting a new puppy advice

Bakmi123

Jan 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I have an english bulldog who will be 7 at the end of January, we have had him since he was a puppy. We just lost our 10 year old boston terrier before Thanksgiving.
I want to get a new puppy but worry how it might affect Louie (the Bulldog). I can tell Louie is missing the boston and he is extra attached to me since his passing.
My husband is concerned if we get a smaller dog who can get on bed and furniture, that Louie would be jealous but if we got a "floor" dog Louie might enjoy that. I of course want a lap dog.
Any advice that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry for the loss of your Boston Terrier. I'm sure Louie is also mourning his friend's passing. Is Louie a pretty active 7 year old? If you brought a puppy into the home, do you think Louie would want to play with him or might he be turned off by having such an active pup as his new sibling? Sometimes when you bring a new dog into the family, it's a good idea to try to match temperaments. Would you consider adopting an older dog instead of a pup?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, first I want to say how sorry I am for the loss of your Boston Terrier. I don't have any experience with adding a second dog to an older pet member, as I have two EB, but they are siblings and are litter mates, so have been together since birth. If your Louie has had another dog, and he is well socialized with other dogs, he most probably will do fine with a new pup. The best thing you can do is to pick out your new dog, and have them meet in a neutral location, to see how they get along, or you could consider adopting an older dog, but even in that case they should still meet in a neutral location as there is never a guarantee that every dog will get along, it depends on the temperament and the personality of the dogs. I hope you find your new family member soon, and that it works out for you. A French Bulldog is similar to a EB, only they are about half the size.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Honestly I think it depends on the temperament of Louie… I have a 9 year old boxer, and we had her around a litter of pups. She did fine, in fact I actually think it made her pep up a little… LOL Of course when she got tired of "puppyville", we would separate them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.