Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, my Dozer loves to eat snow, he started doing this last winter, but this year he has been eating a lot of snow when he goes out for his duties, and then when he comes back in, he sometimes throws up, he has thrown up about 3 times after eating snow outside. I try to stop him, or deter him from eating the snow, but he just wants to eat and lick at the snow. I don't know why he does this, he has access to plenty of drinking water inside, we have a doggie water cooler with a filter in it, and I also always add warm water to their kibble when I feed them. Is this something that most bullies do, or is it something I should be worried about? Can eating snow hurt him?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks will eat it ALL day long if I let her... I think they just obsess on it and think it is food or want it to be food. The throw up may be because it is cold and it is upsetting his belly... You know, like too much ice cream?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie LOVES snow and is always eating it. She has never thrown up from it though. Maybe he's eating too much of it?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yeah he's just eating too much of it is all. My guys love to eat it too. Now sometimes Jack will throw up as soon as he's done drinking water because he drank too much too fast. I would imagine that's the same with snow - too much too fast.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Agree with others. Too much snow or water causes vomiting. Howie also loves to lick and eat snow but not too much.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
No snow eating experiences, but One of my other dogs will drink a ton of water rather quickly n then throw up. I'm assuming it is similar to that. Just too much, too fast. Poor thing. I do hope Dozey is ok :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel does the same thing! We have to go out with her and "herd" her away from the snow so she won't yak the minute she comes in. We are having some success. Bill put an extra bowl of water down right by the back door. That seems to have helped. She's a sneaky little thing, though. My neighbors have all seen me chasing her in my jammies and slippers because she is pigging out on snow. And no. I won't post pictures. :tongue:

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulk loves snow too. He dives into it and chases it all while eating it. He hasn't thrown up from it though. I think as others have mentioned that the coldness of the snow is what is causing the vomiting.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks guys, I guess it's normal for them to do this then, I was just worried it might hurt him or be bad for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is a sneaky little thing, though. My neighbors have all seen me chasing her in my jammies and slippers because she is pigging out on snow. And no. I won't post pictures. :tongue:

Ah,come on, :hissy:

:giggle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.