Problems peeing again...HELP

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
I got home yesterday and the kids told me Bentley had not urinated all day. He also was vomiting. He laid in the corner and wasn't his usual playful self. I didn't give him anything to eat just some ice cubes. I immediately went his last emergency vet visit due to bladder stones.

He stayed with me in my room last night. I called the vet today but but they were closed due to holiday but they do have a vet oncall. I told her the situation and she wanted me to bring him in. She did examine him but I wasn't very confident in her. I usually only see the same 2 vets. Long story short, he had to stay so he could be cathed. I am so nervous. This will be his second time.

They want to put him on science diet but I don't like the food. Bentley also does not do well with chicken in his diet. Does anyone know of any alternatives. My usual vet says he is too young to be having these problems. She was suppose to call me after she was done but that was this morning. I'm just worried about my baby.

I welcome any suggestions.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Kristie, I'm sorry Bentley is going thru this. I think the vet recommends the Science diet b/c of it's low in protein/magnesium. I do not have experience with bladder stones but let me tag a member who may have some input and experience with stones. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry this is happening again.... The SD isn't bad short term, to get him stable while you find something better.

Keep us posted and I'm sending prayers

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a cat who had alot of trouble with urinary calculi. He eventually had to have surgery(sex change..)He had to be on low mag low ash, before eventual surgery.
Prayers for your bullie, If he has problems like this, I would try the food suggested, as lessening the chance of stones is the first priority right now. I also had a Pomeranian, who had some problems urinating.Eventually she had surgery-and her whole bladder was filled with stones. It was unbelievable that she had all those stones and had no symptoms until she did! One thing that was recommended was to add salt to her food, so that she would drink more water. And a low calcium diet. They need to check for bacteria in the urine, to see what kind of stones they are-to know what medication to give. They will probably give antibiotics. Please let us know how he is.

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Has the vet examined the stones? What type they are determines what you need to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Has the vet examined the stones? What type they are determines what you need to do.

OP
kristier25

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
The vet called me this morning when I was on my way to work. She said my baby was doing fine. He does have a catheter in though. She had to use a smaller catheter because he has a stone blocking his urethra. They took him outside and he is peeing with the catheter in. Her concern is the size of the stone and it being in his penis. He is on an antibiotics, potassium, and something else. The stone is to large for him to pass. So now they are wondering if they can get it back into his bladder or surgery to remove it. I really don't want him to have surgery on his man parts. He had to stay another night and she will keep me updated on how he is doing.
She said everyone has fallen in love with him. My baby is just the sweetest thing. I really miss him greeting me when I get home. I have his brother, Tank, but even he misses Bentley. I am going to go and see him in the morning on my way to work.
She did say it was the same crystals the vet saw in august in his urine sample and a little blood. I can't remember what the name is of the crystal is but I will find out tomorrow. I am okay with him being on science diet but not for a long time. Thanks for all comments.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for the update and post WHICH TYPE of stones, we can help better.

So glad Bently is peeing and yes, SD is fine a little while until knowing type of
stones and long term options then for best diet. Praying for y'all~GOD bless!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
One good thing about the operation is that you don't need to feed that science diet at all, cause you don't need to dissolve the stones. You can start straight from maintenance. Some types of stones are very slow to dissolve and ultra low calorie food can lead to other, even more serious problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet called me this morning when I was on my way to work. She said my baby was doing fine. He does have a catheter in though. She had to use a smaller catheter because he has a stone blocking his urethra. They took him outside and he is peeing with the catheter in. Her concern is the size of the stone and it being in his penis. He is on an antibiotics, potassium, and something else. The stone is to large for him to pass. So now they are wondering if they can get it back into his bladder or surgery to remove it. I really don't want him to have surgery on his man parts. He had to stay another night and she will keep me updated on how he is doing.
She said everyone has fallen in love with him. My baby is just the sweetest thing. I really miss him greeting me when I get home. I have his brother, Tank, but even he misses Bentley. I am going to go and see him in the morning on my way to work.
She did say it was the same crystals the vet saw in august in his urine sample and a little blood. I can't remember what the name is of the crystal is but I will find out tomorrow. I am okay with him being on science diet but not for a long time. Thanks for all comments.

thanks for the update.... give him big hugs from all fo us.. and post the stones like others had said, that willhelp members give you better information to help down the road.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the update! Praying that you boy will be okay-and get through this quickly. Hope all will be well.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Sending you a big hug and hoping Bentley will be better soon! Keep us updated!

OP
kristier25

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
Update:

I picked Bentley up yesterday afternoon. He was give 4 different medications. The vet wants him to eat Hills prescription diet u/d food. It is suppose to help with the struvite crystals in his urine. I am not sure how I feel about all this. He seems fine but he is still having trouble peeing. He hasn't peed today at all but he is still eating and drinking. He is trying to pee though. May have to visit the vet again on Monday if he doesn't go at all this weekend. She wants to see him again in a week or 2.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Bentley, I hope he will be able to pee. Hopefully the meds will start working, and he will be able to. If not-he'd better go back Monday. His bladder will be full.
Praying that he will feel better. Right now, with his problem-I would try any food that might help.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hoping and saying a prayer that Bentley will be okay, Kristie. I would also opt for the Hills diet if only for a short while until something more permanent can be planned out.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
ok if he cant pee its Dangerous, life dangerous and he must be taken to the vet now not in two weeks and it seems like another vet is a good idea. Struvites are the easiest type of crystals to handle. You only have to give him more acidic foods...like meat, add cranberry and vitaminC, probiotics to the mix and you're done. If he is blocked he needs the opp or they can try to simply flush it out, dissolving will take longer than he can stay alive without peeig.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.