Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pet Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    VPI is inexpensive... but you have to deal with their 'payment schedule' (ie.. they decide how much you get). With Trupanion andothers you get a % of the cost. We currently have Molly on Trupanion and we pay ~$50 each month for a $500 deductible and 90% coverage.

We've paid $$ in vet bills but haven't had any that are over our $500 deductible so we haven't made a claim in 2 years. For example, Kevin scratched Molly's eye the other day while playing.. $350 and she's all better but Trupanion wasn't any help. Also, Trupanion has raised our rates ~$15 per month over the past two years.

I started a thread a few days ago when i was thinking about changing my 'Bulldog Financial Health Plan'..

I've decided to take Molly off Trupanion and switch to a new plan/company that will reimburse 90% with a $1000 deductible up to $10k annually (no lifetime limit). For two dogs its $58 per month (~$30 per dog with multi-pet discount). I'm then going to set aside a few $$ each month to either cover the deductible or take care of the smaller stuff.

In short.. i'll have insurance to cover any Major issues (including hereditary and congenital issues) and a 'Medical Savings Plan' to handle the smaller stuff.
    TheLost,

Thanks for sharing. So you mean that throughout the yearly expenses, trupanion does not apply those to the deductible? For example, you pause $350 on one visit. God forbid, but let's say you go back in a few months and pay $200. Wouldn't this cover the deductible so future visits you can claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

Btw, I actually called petplan today and the rep told me that future upper resp infections may be covered, but it cannot be something chronic/ongoing. He said it's an average of a 12 month period for them to accept a claim related to respiratory infections for Ace. The quote was ~$50/mo, $250 deductible @ 90%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AceTheBathound View Post
    TheLost,

Thanks for sharing. So you mean that throughout the yearly expenses, trupanion does not apply those to the deductible? For example, you pause $350 on one visit. God forbid, but let's say you go back in a few months and pay $200. Wouldn't this cover the deductible so future visits you can claim?
    Trupanion's deductibles are per-condition (as opposed to an annual deductible).. meaning that if i spend another $150 on vet bills for Molly's eye, anything over that would be covered ($350+150=$500 deductible). However, if she then gets an ear infection and i spend $400 on it... the $500 i spent on the eye doesn't cover the ear deductible

This is who i'm thinking of switching over to.. http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/ . I like that they reduce the deductable $50 every year you don't make a claim. They also seem to cover more 'bulldog' issues then most other companies.
    Last edited by TheLost; 01-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads