Travelling Cross Country with bully

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
So, Daphnee will be 9 this June, and she wants to head out to the West Coast. She's already done most of the East coast and New England. We will probably rent a mini-van for the logistics of things. Any advice for a 16 day cross country trip? If we are just stopping in a city to sleep, is staying at a cheaper hotel, like Motel 6, suffice? Also, thinking of staying outside the big cities, should be cheaper, more quiet, and easier to find grass close by. Is early June ok to go, or will there still be threats of bad snow? Happy New Year..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did a cross-country trip with Nitschke when he was about 8 months old. he LOVED it! We did a web search for pet friendly hotels and stayed in various cites... Champange, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Sante Fe, Sedona... all the places we stayed either had no additional charge or about $25.00 and the pup had to be crated if we were not in the room.

We had a Ford Explorer at the time and it worked out well for us.

Oh, we did this in the middle of May and the weather was perfect except for St. Louis... it was brutal HOT

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would map out the pet friendly hotels along the route you'd like to take, just in case you get tired or if you'd like to stay overnight somewhere other than your car. Unsure of the weather there too, but here in Canada, late June can get hot.

Regardless, wow!, a roadtrip! So jealous! Daphnee is extremely lucky that she has adventurous paw-rents!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Army wife here! Our last move we did a cross country trip with our two dogs (we didn't have our EB yet but my other two are both pushed in faces).

We travelled in August 2011 cross country from Philly to LA in 1.5 weeks. We stopped at motels outside of the major cities. Basically we took a map and pinpointed our stops. I want to say we made 4-5 stops. What we did is booked the motel to our next destination when we got to our stop. For example we stopped outside of Denver and then made our reservations for a place just outside of Vegas. I can't remember all the places we stayed off the top of my head.

We mapped out a destination that was about 9-10 hours away and gave ourselves 12 hours to get there. We made so touristy stops on the way to let the dogs out. We also found parks to stop at so the dogs could play for about 30 minutes.

Motels were certainly cheaper and more dog welcoming.

Make sure that your dog has flea meds on because one of the motels we stayed at had fleas. We actually stayed at a motel 8 - worst decision ever. It was like a minus five star motel lol.

It was a lot of fun and the dogs were worn out by each destination because we made play stops on the way. Out two didn't eat for a couple of days but were full at it by the 3rd day.

I wouldn't worry about snow in June even if you are taking a northern route - unless you are planning to hit parks like Yosemite. There is still snow there in May for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Should be a good trip, our bullies love road trips. As others have said just find your pet freindly hotels along the way and I wouldn't get too cheap on them either, as they may not be all that good. Plus in June you shouldn't have any snow issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.