OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well, I don't agree with this statement. In my opinion bulldogs or any dogs can't handle a lot of carbs.
@cefe13 give him time, he will develop until 3-4 years of age. The breed standard is 25 kilos and most are way above that, mine too.

Thanks for your input, RiiSi. So you think a high level of protein is preferable? What are the bad effects of more carbs (short term problems or long-term effects we need to consider)? As first-time EB owners, it's so difficult to know what food to give him.

Do you give your dogs a high-protein food? We changed to a kibble with less protein (James Wellbeloved) and after some ten days Castor is doing fine and seems to be much less hungry than before although we haven't increased the amount of food. That in itself is a good effect as he actually seemed to be hungry all the time before (and we couldn't up the amount of food with the high-protein kibble as his tummy didn't do well then).

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics

Good point - he's asleep but will bring out the tape measure when he wakes up!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but i have the same concern as you. My boy is also 8 months old and i think he is too small (i mean by height), i wish for him to grow a little bit taller before filling out. At 8 months he weighs 20 kg. (44 lbs.) I just want to know others opinion because from the pictures i took (taken today) he looks like he's just 4-6 months old. I'm afraid i may have stunted his growth :fie:. He was on Acana but we had tear stain and soft stool issues with it so we discontinue giving it to him. we are now feeding him home cooked meals (wanted to switch him to Orijen but the distributor of Acana and Orijen here told me switching to Orijen won't help as they almost have the same ingredients). Does he look small or is it just me?

2014-01-13 14.39.45.jpg2014-01-13 14.40.09.jpg2014-01-13 14.46.11.jpg

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8944]bullymomwannabe[/MENTION] I don't think he looks small at all, I think he looks just right. Buster weighed right around 45 at 8 months. It's best to be a little on the light side then overweight because it's much tougher to get them to lose weight. Bifi looks healthy!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics

He actually measures 41 cm (16.1 inches) from the floor to the top of his shoulders (whithers) which is kind of average, isn't it?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but i have the same concern as you. My boy is also 8 months old and i think he is too small (i mean by height), i wish for him to grow a little bit taller before filling out. At 8 months he weighs 20 kg. (44 lbs.) I just want to know others opinion because from the pictures i took (taken today) he looks like he's just 4-6 months old. I'm afraid i may have stunted his growth :fie:. He was on Acana but we had tear stain and soft stool issues with it so we discontinue giving it to him. we are now feeding him home cooked meals (wanted to switch him to Orijen but the distributor of Acana and Orijen here told me switching to Orijen won't help as they almost have the same ingredients). Does he look small or is it just me?

View attachment 64106View attachment 64107View attachment 64111

Bifi is very cute and his body proportions are a bit like those of Castor! Castor was on Acana chicken before we changed to Orijen fish. The tear stains (well, no visible stains as Castor's face is dark under his eyes but rusty-coloured tears) disappeared when we switched from Acana to Orijen. But now he's eating lamb and rice from James Wellbeloved.

How tall is Bifi from floor to shoulder?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@bullymomwannabe I don't think he looks small at all, I think he looks just right. Buster weighed right around 45 at 8 months. It's best to be a little on the light side then overweight because it's much tougher to get them to lose weight. Bifi looks healthy!
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] Thank you! That's a chip off my shoulder. Do you think he would still grow taller?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8944]bullymomwannabe[/MENTION] Yes I think he will, they usually grow taller for the first 2 years and then grow wider after that.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Bifi is very cute and his body proportions are a bit like those of Castor! Castor was on Acana chicken before we changed to Orijen fish. The tear stains (well, no visible stains as Castor's face is dark under his eyes but rusty-coloured tears) disappeared when we switched from Acana to Orijen. But now he's eating lamb and rice from James Wellbeloved.

How tall is Bifi from floor to shoulder?
@cefe13 Thank you! I find it quite a coincidence that our boys are of the same age and almost have the same built, plus we're worried about the same thing! LOL. I dunno, i will have to measure him when he wakes up. He is snoring right now behind me.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
He actually measures 41 cm (16.1 inches) from the floor to the top of his shoulders (whithers) which is kind of average, isn't it?

I'm actually not sure about the height, my Ace is about the same height as your dog but he is an OEB and is a littler shorter than standard but he may still grow a bit taller. Ace is what is referred to as an F2 which simply means that the sire and dam were F1's, an F1 OEB is half OEB and half EB

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Average height is between 12 and 16 inches give or take so I would say Castor is average.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 Average height is between 12 and 16 inches give or take so I would say Castor is average.

Thanks for that figure!

I've noticed that there only seem to be standards for Bulldog weight, not height, and I've learned that breed standards differ between countries; the AKC says about 50 pounds for male mature dogs, whereas the breed standard according to the Swedish Kennel Club (as well as the British Kennel Club) is 25 kg (55 lbs). I learn a lot every day!

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexter is almost 5 and weighs 43 pounds. I asked the vet one time because I thought he was going to be about 70#. Doc said he was just smaller, but as long as he's healthy then I'm happy!!
pa4usu2e.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online