OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Warm thanks to all of you for your helpful input and advice! Good to hear about your dogs' weight and how much you feed them.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Part of your problem is probably his diet. A lot of bulldogs can NOT handle large amounts of protein. Orijen is really high in protein . High protein can cause a thin look and loose stool and the inability to gain weight. We have seen this quit a bit in the breed. Try changing his food. Look for foods with the protein levels around 20–24% Fromm -pork and applesauce and white fish and potato are both lower in protein and my dogs do well on it. There are many types of good food just look for low protein and you will start seeing a difference within a few weeks in his weight and stool. Good luck!

How strange - I thought I replied to your post, but it seems to have disappeared! Anyway, big thanks for your input. This is something we will definitely take into consideration. Fromm isn't available here but we'll try to find another good kibble with less protein than Orijen. Thanks.

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
You are welcome. Let me know if lowering the protein seems to help. I'm interested to know if that's the problem. Good luck.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I think he looks perfect -some bullies are stocky and compact

We think Lilly will be on a small side but to be honest im glad as she got no grace when she jumps at my lap ;-)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My vet would love our bully because he is all about having healthy in shape dogs! He even told me yesterday he wouldn't mind if my Izzy lost 1-2lbs (she is now 44lbs.... she had knee surgery and went from 48lbs to 44lbs in two months).

I think that he looks great!He is probably very active and full of muscles :) When I had problems with Izzy and stabilizing her diet I used pumpkin in her food and it worked wonders to harden her stool. Just a tablespoon on her food and it was like a miracle! Try that even when swithcing to a new food to help with the process!

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
He looks perfect to me! We think Hulk will be on the small side too. He's 5 months and is 22.5lbs but his shape is perfect.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
You are welcome. Let me know if lowering the protein seems to help. I'm interested to know if that's the problem. Good luck.

We have now switched to James Wellbeloved Junior Lamb and Rice kibble, which is 24 % protein (compared to 38 % protein in his old Orijen Six Fish kibble), and although there is no visible change in his looks after only a week, Castor seems to be doing fine and my husband says he thinks Castor seems less hungry too.

Castor was actually on a puppy kibble from James Wellbeloved when he was small, so in a way this is coming back to where we started out, after having tested high-protein kibbles from Acana and Orijen for a few months.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When I had problems with Izzy and stabilizing her diet I used pumpkin in her food and it worked wonders to harden her stool. Just a tablespoon on her food and it was like a miracle! Try that even when swithcing to a new food to help with the process!

Thanks for the tip - is that cooked, mashed pumpkin? The transition to the new kibble has been very easy, but I will keep pumpkin in mind for possible problems in the future!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thanks for the tip - is that cooked, mashed pumpkin? The transition to the new kibble has been very easy, but I will keep pumpkin in mind for possible problems in the future!

I buy can pumpkin in the grocery store (no salt or spices, pure pumpkin). Pet shops also sell them but more expensive.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I buy can pumpkin in the grocery store (no salt or spices, pure pumpkin). Pet shops also sell them but more expensive.

Thanks - oh, I didn't know there was canned pumpkin! Will see if that's available here - otherwise I'll cook some for him if needed!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
I think he looks great!!!! franklin eats Fromm pork & peas he was on Fromm beef frittata but his tear stains were really bad we switch him to the pork because it doesn't have white potato and stopped giving green beans and he looks great he turned a year old in April we feed him about 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day and he's been doing great I hope you find a food that's great for him good luck

Bbbimaj

Jul 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
My bully, Boss, is 11 months and we feed him twice a day, 2 cups each, so 4 cups total. Maybe you can feed him more several times a day if his stomach seems sensitive. Boss weighs 62 healthy pounds!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Well, I don't agree with this statement. In my opinion bulldogs or any dogs can't handle a lot of carbs.
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] give him time, he will develop until 3-4 years of age. The breed standard is 25 kilos and most are way above that, mine too.

Part of your problem is probably his diet. A lot of bulldogs can NOT handle large amounts of protein. Orijen is really high in protein . High protein can cause a thin look and loose stool and the inability to gain weight. We have seen this quit a bit in the breed. Try changing his food. Look for foods with the protein levels around 20–24% Fromm -pork and applesauce and white fish and potato are both lower in protein and my dogs do well on it. There are many types of good food just look for low protein and you will start seeing a difference within a few weeks in his weight and stool. Good luck!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics

Members online

No members online now.