Too small?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has always been small and slim, and now at eight months he weighs about 35 pounds (17 kilos). His dad weighs something like 55 pounds (and his mom some 48 pounds), so that is what we hope he'll reach in the future.

It's difficult to know if he needs more food (or perhaps some other kind of food) or if we should keep things as they are. He's on Orijen Six Fish kibble and has done very well on that for a few months but now his tummy is a bit out of order so we're considering shifting to something else. The question is if he needs some other kind of food that will help him fill out or if that will come with time? He now eats three meals per day and a total of 300 g per day (I think that equals 2.5 cups per day). He would gladly eat more but when we increase his portions he tends to get loose stools so it's not altogether easy to just give him more food.

I would be grateful for your input on this as there are no other English Bulldogs here to compare with. The very few other EBs of similar age he has met since we got him half a year ago have been considerably bigger, and when we took him to a show, the judge actually commented on his weight, asking if I thought he would reach the breed standard. castor1.jpgcastor2.jpg

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hej:hiya: Nice to see another Swede on here:) I don't live in Sweden right now though so I don't know the food:unsure: He's still young, he'll probably grow for another year at least and get broader with time. He's really beautiful:heart: looks perfect to me:).

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
No worries; bullies grow up the first year and out the second year. I have pictures of Amber the first year and she was all over the map until she reached about 15/16 months old. Now, we monitor her food because she can pack the pounds on. Ruby weights 48 pounds right now at 11 months old. Their shoulders and head will grow the second year along with the girth. He is a beautiful bully, welcome to the forum.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep.... up the first year and out the second. Your bully looks great in those photos

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
Part of your problem is probably his diet. A lot of bulldogs can NOT handle large amounts of protein. Orijen is really high in protein . High protein can cause a thin look and loose stool and the inability to gain weight. We have seen this quit a bit in the breed. Try changing his food. Look for foods with the protein levels around 20–24% Fromm -pork and applesauce and white fish and potato are both lower in protein and my dogs do well on it. There are many types of good food just look for low protein and you will start seeing a difference within a few weeks in his weight and stool. Good luck!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Like others have said they grow up the first year and out the 2nd and 3rd. It could be protein is too high but I am no expert. Judging by the pics you posted her doesn't look bad at all. My baby Harlea will be 8 months old on Sunday and she only weighs 35lbs as well and looks good and is very healthy.. Her dad was 57 and her mom 55. For her she only gets 1 cup of kibble twice a day and we are using Fromms Pork and Peas.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Even though 35lbs seems a bit small he looks very healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts it on in the next few months. Rocco is 6 months and 45 lbs. He's eating 3 cups a day fromns beef frittata which I plan to decrease to 2 when he turns 1. His parents are a bit bigger as well. Dad is 75lbs and mom 55

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
My Agnes is on the small side at 42lbs at one year. Her buildlooks very similar to the pictures of your boy. She may even be a little thinner in the head and shoulders. Her front paws are still huge, though. I keep waiting to see if she fills out more in the next year since that's what everyone says to expect. She eats Fromm.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He looks great, and I wouldn't worry about him. Some are just a little smaller, but I think once he gets over two years of age he will weight around 50 lbs. or so. You don't want a bully that is over weight, as they are not that healthy.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I think He looks good, as well. I've learned weight goes by body shape, not age etc. my bully, Brie is 1 year old and weighs 41 pounds. She just has a smaller frame then other bullies. I've actually had to cut her food to 3/4 cup dry twice a day (plus veggies for toppings) cos she was starting to poke out a little too much. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He looks good to me, especially for his age. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Great advices from others already. Don't worry. He looks fantastic and in great shape. At least you can still hold him. :yes: I sure miss that stage when I can hold my fur baby. Not anymore. His 67 lbs at the tender age of 2.5 years old. His parents are 50 and 55 lbs.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hej:hiya: Nice to see another Swede on here:) I don't live in Sweden right now though so I don't know the food:unsure: He's still young, he'll probably grow for another year at least and get broader with time. He's really beautiful:heart: looks perfect to me:).

Hej - ja, roligt, och Castor tackar för komplimangerna! As bulldogs grow for two years or more, we'll probably just have to wait and see (and perhaps change his food a bit)!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He looks great, and I wouldn't worry about him. Some are just a little smaller, but I think once he gets over two years of age he will weight around 50 lbs. or so. You don't want a bully that is over weight, as they are not that healthy.

Thanks and you're absolutely right, we definitely don't want an overweight dog. I suppose we were just a bit concerned that he was not growing enough!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great advices from others already. Don't worry. He looks fantastic and in great shape. At least you can still hold him. :yes: I sure miss that stage when I can hold my fur baby. Not anymore. His 67 lbs at the tender age of 2.5 years old. His parents are 50 and 55 lbs.

Yes, that's right - the elevator was not working the other morning so I had to carry the sleepy dog down three floors, and that wouldn't have been possible if he was heavier!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.