Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 43

Thread: Too small?

  1. #25
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,752
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1360

    Default Re: Too small?

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    I buy can pumpkin in the grocery store (no salt or spices, pure pumpkin). Pet shops also sell them but more expensive.
    Thanks - oh, I didn't know there was canned pumpkin! Will see if that's available here - otherwise I'll cook some for him if needed!

  2. #26
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    loveabully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,026
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Too small?

    I think he looks great!!!! franklin eats Fromm pork & peas he was on Fromm beef frittata but his tear stains were really bad we switch him to the pork because it doesn't have white potato and stopped giving green beans and he looks great he turned a year old in April we feed him about 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day and he's been doing great I hope you find a food that's great for him good luck

  3. #27
    Newbie Bbbimaj's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boss
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Too small?

    My bully, Boss, is 11 months and we feed him twice a day, 2 cups each, so 4 cups total. Maybe you can feed him more several times a day if his stomach seems sensitive. Boss weighs 62 healthy pounds!

  4. #28

    Default Re: Too small?

    super


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk an[/QUOTE]




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk an

  5. #29
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Too small?

    Well, I don't agree with this statement. In my opinion bulldogs or any dogs can't handle a lot of carbs.
    @cefe13 give him time, he will develop until 3-4 years of age. The breed standard is 25 kilos and most are way above that, mine too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoebug View Post
    Part of your problem is probably his diet. A lot of bulldogs can NOT handle large amounts of protein. Orijen is really high in protein . High protein can cause a thin look and loose stool and the inability to gain weight. We have seen this quit a bit in the breed. Try changing his food. Look for foods with the protein levels around 20–24% Fromm -pork and applesauce and white fish and potato are both lower in protein and my dogs do well on it. There are many types of good food just look for low protein and you will start seeing a difference within a few weeks in his weight and stool. Good luck!

  6. #30
    Rescue Volunteer Rural mystic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,603
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default Re: Too small?

    Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics

  7. #31
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,752
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1360

    Default Re: Too small?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Well, I don't agree with this statement. In my opinion bulldogs or any dogs can't handle a lot of carbs.
    @cefe13 give him time, he will develop until 3-4 years of age. The breed standard is 25 kilos and most are way above that, mine too.
    Thanks for your input, RiiSi. So you think a high level of protein is preferable? What are the bad effects of more carbs (short term problems or long-term effects we need to consider)? As first-time EB owners, it's so difficult to know what food to give him.

    Do you give your dogs a high-protein food? We changed to a kibble with less protein (James Wellbeloved) and after some ten days Castor is doing fine and seems to be much less hungry than before although we haven't increased the amount of food. That in itself is a good effect as he actually seemed to be hungry all the time before (and we couldn't up the amount of food with the high-protein kibble as his tummy didn't do well then).

  8. #32
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,752
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1360

    Default Re: Too small?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics
    Good point - he's asleep but will bring out the tape measure when he wakes up!

  9. #33
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,821
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default Re: Too small?

    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but i have the same concern as you. My boy is also 8 months old and i think he is too small (i mean by height), i wish for him to grow a little bit taller before filling out. At 8 months he weighs 20 kg. (44 lbs.) I just want to know others opinion because from the pictures i took (taken today) he looks like he's just 4-6 months old. I'm afraid i may have stunted his growth . He was on Acana but we had tear stain and soft stool issues with it so we discontinue giving it to him. we are now feeding him home cooked meals (wanted to switch him to Orijen but the distributor of Acana and Orijen here told me switching to Orijen won't help as they almost have the same ingredients). Does he look small or is it just me?

    -2014-01-13-14-39-45-jpg-2014-01-13-14-40-09-jpg-2014-01-13-14-46-11-jpg
    Last edited by dieMuttivonBifi; 01-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.

  10. #34
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Too small?

    @bullymomwannabe I don't think he looks small at all, I think he looks just right. Buster weighed right around 45 at 8 months. It's best to be a little on the light side then overweight because it's much tougher to get them to lose weight. Bifi looks healthy!

  11. #35
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,752
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1360

    Default Re: Too small?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Well what is the height of the dog? At that weight he must not be very tall because he looks proportioned from the pics. If he weighed much more for that height at his age he would be too heavy it seems according to the pics
    He actually measures 41 cm (16.1 inches) from the floor to the top of his shoulders (whithers) which is kind of average, isn't it?

  12. #36
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,752
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1360

    Default Re: Too small?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullymomwannabe View Post
    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but i have the same concern as you. My boy is also 8 months old and i think he is too small (i mean by height), i wish for him to grow a little bit taller before filling out. At 8 months he weighs 20 kg. (44 lbs.) I just want to know others opinion because from the pictures i took (taken today) he looks like he's just 4-6 months old. I'm afraid i may have stunted his growth . He was on Acana but we had tear stain and soft stool issues with it so we discontinue giving it to him. we are now feeding him home cooked meals (wanted to switch him to Orijen but the distributor of Acana and Orijen here told me switching to Orijen won't help as they almost have the same ingredients). Does he look small or is it just me?

    -2014-01-13-14-39-45-jpg-2014-01-13-14-40-09-jpg-2014-01-13-14-46-11-jpg
    Bifi is very cute and his body proportions are a bit like those of Castor! Castor was on Acana chicken before we changed to Orijen fish. The tear stains (well, no visible stains as Castor's face is dark under his eyes but rusty-coloured tears) disappeared when we switched from Acana to Orijen. But now he's eating lamb and rice from James Wellbeloved.

    How tall is Bifi from floor to shoulder?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •