Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Too small?

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Hej Nice to see another Swede on here I don't live in Sweden right now though so I don't know the food He's still young, he'll probably grow for another year at least and get broader with time. He's really beautiful looks perfect to me.
    Hej - ja, roligt, och Castor tackar för komplimangerna! As bulldogs grow for two years or more, we'll probably just have to wait and see (and perhaps change his food a bit)!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    He looks great, and I wouldn't worry about him. Some are just a little smaller, but I think once he gets over two years of age he will weight around 50 lbs. or so. You don't want a bully that is over weight, as they are not that healthy.
    Thanks and you're absolutely right, we definitely don't want an overweight dog. I suppose we were just a bit concerned that he was not growing enough!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Great advices from others already. Don't worry. He looks fantastic and in great shape. At least you can still hold him. I sure miss that stage when I can hold my fur baby. Not anymore. His 67 lbs at the tender age of 2.5 years old. His parents are 50 and 55 lbs.
    Yes, that's right - the elevator was not working the other morning so I had to carry the sleepy dog down three floors, and that wouldn't have been possible if he was heavier!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Warm thanks to all of you for your helpful input and advice! Good to hear about your dogs' weight and how much you feed them.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoebug View Post
    Part of your problem is probably his diet. A lot of bulldogs can NOT handle large amounts of protein. Orijen is really high in protein . High protein can cause a thin look and loose stool and the inability to gain weight. We have seen this quit a bit in the breed. Try changing his food. Look for foods with the protein levels around 20–24% Fromm -pork and applesauce and white fish and potato are both lower in protein and my dogs do well on it. There are many types of good food just look for low protein and you will start seeing a difference within a few weeks in his weight and stool. Good luck!
    How strange - I thought I replied to your post, but it seems to have disappeared! Anyway, big thanks for your input. This is something we will definitely take into consideration. Fromm isn't available here but we'll try to find another good kibble with less protein than Orijen. Thanks.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Sheri
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
    Likes (Received)

You are welcome. Let me know if lowering the protein seems to help. I'm interested to know if that's the problem. Good luck.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think he looks perfect -some bullies are stocky and compact

We think Lilly will be on a small side but to be honest im glad as she got no grace when she jumps at my lap ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

My vet would love our bully because he is all about having healthy in shape dogs! He even told me yesterday he wouldn't mind if my Izzy lost 1-2lbs (she is now 44lbs.... she had knee surgery and went from 48lbs to 44lbs in two months).

I think that he looks great!He is probably very active and full of muscles When I had problems with Izzy and stabilizing her diet I used pumpkin in her food and it worked wonders to harden her stool. Just a tablespoon on her food and it was like a miracle! Try that even when swithcing to a new food to help with the process!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Bully Bootie Duty Sarah Elizabeth's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hulk
    Likes (Received)

He looks perfect to me! We think Hulk will be on the small side too. He's 5 months and is 22.5lbs but his shape is perfect.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoebug View Post
    You are welcome. Let me know if lowering the protein seems to help. I'm interested to know if that's the problem. Good luck.
    We have now switched to James Wellbeloved Junior Lamb and Rice kibble, which is 24 % protein (compared to 38 % protein in his old Orijen Six Fish kibble), and although there is no visible change in his looks after only a week, Castor seems to be doing fine and my husband says he thinks Castor seems less hungry too.

Castor was actually on a puppy kibble from James Wellbeloved when he was small, so in a way this is coming back to where we started out, after having tested high-protein kibbles from Acana and Orijen for a few months.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    When I had problems with Izzy and stabilizing her diet I used pumpkin in her food and it worked wonders to harden her stool. Just a tablespoon on her food and it was like a miracle! Try that even when swithcing to a new food to help with the process!
    Thanks for the tip - is that cooked, mashed pumpkin? The transition to the new kibble has been very easy, but I will keep pumpkin in mind for possible problems in the future!

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Thanks for the tip - is that cooked, mashed pumpkin? The transition to the new kibble has been very easy, but I will keep pumpkin in mind for possible problems in the future!
    I buy can pumpkin in the grocery store (no salt or spices, pure pumpkin). Pet shops also sell them but more expensive.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads