Tips for getting your bulldog used to a new puppy in the house!

lthegreat

Mar 30, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybelle
Hello everyone!

So we have Maybelle, our 11 month old bulldog who we LOVE. However, bulldogs aren't the best of guard dogs and since we wanted 1) a playmate for Maybelle and 2) a dog to keep watch on our home after a recent attempted break-in, we brought home a new german shepard puppy.

He is a tiny guy right now, and Maybelle is a 45-pound wrecking ball! Any tips on getting Maybelle used to having a puppy in the house? I want to make sure that the new addition doesn't make her feel like she is being left out of anything, but she her size makes it hard for us to let her play with the puppy without him getting scared.

FLORES, MAYBELLE.jpg our Maybelle visiting Santa

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well Maybelle is just darling with Santa!

I would keep Maybelle on a leash at first so she can get used to your new pup, and you can easily correct her if needed. Your pup will outgrow Maybelle very fast, and after a short time they should be able to play together as they use body language a lot to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lots of walks together a couple times each day -- get them to pack up and know they are now 'family'. Maybelle will know the limits, but just watch them closely. I have a 22 lb Frenchie that beats the crap out of my 60lb Bulldog... funny, but Banks does know the limits and Vheli sure trys to push them

The GSD is going to need a LOT of exercise so be ready for walks and play time... or give him a job as he gets older to keep his anxiety at aby -- a working dog with out a job will lead to extreme anxiety and stress.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mygrown dogs were usually a "little" gentler when playing with a pup. sometimes I just had to tell them to "take it easy-it's a baby dog". The pup usually learns when he's had enough! It won't be very long before he can handle it! I had two Belgian Malanois, who were "police trained"but school drop-outs!! and they played with the pups-but played more gentle with them, than the others! Ha!ha! my Fr/eng. is the roughest one,too! If the pup has a place to "hide" when things get too rough-that would be handy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online