Dog fights :(

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Lately we've been having some issues with dog fights breaking out. We're always right there, so it doesn't intensify but I'd like to figure out how to stop it from happening! It seems to be mostly in moments of excitement, like when someone comes in the house. Everything will be fine and all of a sudden Little Be just switches gears and goes after Guinevere. When it first started Guinevere would back away, but a few time of it happening and Guinevere now try's to stand her ground. It makes me sad because its my husband and I that wind up getting hurt, but jumping in the middle. Most of the time they are best buds, snuggling and playing just fine. Should I crate them when guests come in? O. One hand I see how that will stop it initially, but the excitement will still be there when they get to come out. Sometimes it's a toy that Be wants and if she doesn't get it she starts in, or if Guinevere is playing with us and growls. I get that this is a dominance issue and I know others have had a similar problem. I dont want my babies to get hurt, and we don't want to be bit trying to stop it. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have this problem sometimes-they get carried away playing and wind up fighting over a toy. Of course-they ALL want that same toy-even when there are others just like it. So far they stop, when I say "NO Fighting!". But, you could try the water bottle squirt-while saying no fighting! Or leash them when ever someone comes, until they settle down. I am sure others will also have suggestions for you.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I have this issue as well w 2 of my dogs. Nothing has worked so far to stop the escalation and boy does it happen quick. I'm going to try to crate after and even before if I can stop it before if escalates.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We still tackling food fights -usually a time out calms them down -that is our trigger so we are making sure girls are separated when food is around

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
It's good that you know the triggers and you can get ready beforehand. A water spray or a can of coins work wonders for some. It's going to take time, but you can also train them to sit and behave when company's over, until they're acknowledged that they can run around.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is jealousy and dominance, it does take time to over come. When you know people are coming over, leash them and make them sit and stay before the people come in. Maybe get someone to help you with this. Have them come to the door and practice it a few times and do ita few time a week if you can. BeBe and Lucy used to fight quite a bit when they were younger, but now they leave each other alone. Once they get older it pretty much stops. But in the mean time, you need to show them both the same attention, and show them you are the boss. Make them work for everything, food, affection, and treats. Make them sit, shack hands or something before they get what ever it is you are going to give them. Also what I would do when they fought is I would pin both of them on their sides and nose to nose and hold them there until the calmed down while telling them NO!! Then release them and show them no affection for a light while. I hope this helps.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Boeboe and Bennie has started fights a few times, Bennie is dominant over food and Boeboe is protective of her bed when sleeping, so I've just decided to take away those triggers. They don't get fed together and at night I put a little fence so they can't go and sleep on the same bed as Boeboe will get annoyed when Bennie moves. If I see stiffness between them it works for me to call them in a happy voice to go outside, if I would to yell at them I'd just add to the stiffness that's already there and they'd start a fight:mellow: I think you'll figure it out in time, what works and what doesn't:) My husband tried once to pull a Cesar Milan (put them on their side) and ended up getting a nice bite on his fore arm:( So from that moment we go with the happy voice/distracting way, and for us that works:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My sympathies as this is no fun for any of you, bullies included.

It's to be expected tho, with dominant bull breeds as they are busy
establishing their place in the pack. Very important...1 Don't panic,
stay calm, speak in firm, quiet voice...2 YOU are the pack leader, YOU
claim everything and YOU decide who gets what & when, read up on
this behavior, NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)...it works! 3 Keep them
leashed in the house and/or crated, watch for signals, step in & stop it
then. Reward good behavior. It will take time, patience, effort but well
worth peace in the home. Good luck & GOD bless! Keep us informed :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, the story of Baks' life! UGH! Our hirl is 8 yrs in training, never stops you have to stay on them with it. If Little Be wants to take over 'alpha' you will have to keep her on her toes and always on wathc.... this is exactly how Banks is.

Nothing in Life is Free is a great tool.. look it up on the web.
Watch constantly for their body language - there is always an indication something is going to happen (Banks get almost frozen and her shoulders go back... we say 'leave it' and a water spray... she settles down).
leash or carte till the excitment is settled and then release them one at a time... one settled then release the other nad watch for body language.

This is a LOT of work and will take time, but in the end it will be very rewarding

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.