new owner needing advice.

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
i have a beautiful 8 month old bully i have had her for about two months. for some reason she does will go to the bathroom on the grass, she pees and poops on the porch. and which she then walks through. now all of a sudden she has started peeing on the carpet and last night she pooped in her crate while everyone was asleep. i have been around dogs all my life and i have never had one do this, looking for any advice anyone can give.

thank you

craig

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Craig, congratulations on your new baby and welcome to EBN. My first question is since she was 6 months old when you got her, was she potty trained beforehand, because most bullies are trained by 5 or 6 months, so maybe her previous owners didn't train her, in which case you will have to start at the beginning and back to basics. The rule of thumb is a puppy should be able to hold their pee for one hour for every month of age, so by 5 months, they should be able to hold for 6 hours. I take our two guys out about every 4 to 5 hours, but they have held for 6 or 7 hours on occasion when I have been out. I do not like to make them hold longer than 4 or 5 because it could cause bladder infections and I don't want them to be uncomfortable. You want to start back to basics of taking her out every hour or two, and then increasing the time by one hour every two weeks or so, so she learns to hold. I. The beginning it's you who is training her when to go potty, and she will usually go each time you take her out. Eventually she will learn to hold longer, and then she will let you know when she needs to go, either by whining or going to the door. If she continues to go potty in the house, then you can try putting her on her leash, and keeping her close to you, and continuing to take her out every two hours. You can also crate her or confine her to one area until she doesn't pee in the house anymore. The key is consistency, a good schedule, and rewards, I used a few pieces of their own kibble to reward them for going potty outside, and for other good behaviour. We used a pretty strict schedule, and this is what worked for us, they were both trained by the age of 5 months.

Real Name
Monica
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Recent Bully Market Gifts

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)
Last edited by Vikinggirl; 07-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.

0 Comment(s)
LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Last edited:
OP
moosedt

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
thank you vikinggirl for the advice

she was not potty trained when i got her. we have been doing that and she has had no accidents in the house. but the last four days she has peed in the same spot and the she pooped in her crate not sure what else to do.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They can go through a rebellious stage at around that age. Go back to basics, and if she keeps peeing she may have a UTI, although I'm not sure since she also went :poo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You've been given great advice...the holidays can bring on lots of stress
for bullies that hate change. If she continues, a trip to the Vet may be
needed to rule out UTI or other physical problem. If she's deemed healthy
than yes, go back to basics. Many bullies do regress at this age. GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get her on a schedule and back to basics with training... lots of praise and treats when she does her buisness outside. Leash her and take her in the grass and when she potty... big praise and treat (use her kibble)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.