Does size matter in a litter of puppies?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, i just picked out my puppie out of a litter of 5 males. They were all lovely but one in particular was extra cute, hes just so cuddly and all his marking on his face are all symmetrical and perfectly in line, but he was probably the smallest out of the litter.

On the other hand there was the biggest, and fattest out the litter with a huge belly and big chunky paws and arms. but he seemed lazy, were the one we picked was so affectionate and playful.

my 3 boys all wanted the cute one and so did my wife. I was torn between the big chunky one or the smaller cute one. Have i made the right choice?

My gut is telling me i have, but from a dog breed point of view i feel like i may of made a mistake.....but how do i say to the kids and the wife i dont want the cute one...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think once your new baby comes home you will love the one that's yours. Keeping the wife and kids happy-- priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The puppy picks you NOT the other way around. I think your heart knows
(and your wife & kids) which puppy picked y'all. Bigger is not always better.
Finally...in adulthood, there may not be any difference at all...put him on a
great food...Ta Da! Congratulations on your bully puppy!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Lilly was smalles from litter of 9 (the bigger the litter smaller the bullies )she aint that small now -size dont make any difference what so ever -bullies come in all shapes and sizes ;-)

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Koozer was not a big boy in the litter, but now he is a healthy 57lbs at 1 year 9 months. Koozer is tall and lean for a bulldog, but I actually like that because he is very healthy and so far hasn't had any joint issues. We get compliments all the time. So bottom line, no matter the bullie size, your baby will be loved and will get plenty of oohs and ahhs...I guarantee it!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think you and the girls have made the right decision with the smaller one. He will bring you years of joy and love. Plus remember the worlds largest Great Dane was the runt of the litter. :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Rudy was smaller than one of his brothers. At about 5 months his brother was 10 lbs more than him. Rudy came in 5th out of 6 dogs in a dog show, @ about 5 months. His brother won 1st place. Rudy was cosidered too small (AKA not fat enough). At about 6 months his brother was limping. In my opinion from growing too fast. (Been through that, not going to let it happen again). Rudy is now about 47lbs @ 2-1/2 years, is in perfect health and weight and is still growing. Don't worry about the size. Take care of their health and they will eventually get to their intended weight. They are beautiful dogs both in looks and heart. You chose the right dog. I would take the small one over the big one any time.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Yup. Bigger is not better for health reasons with bullies. In fact, as per a study I recently read, the single greatest risk factor for development of hip dysplasia is: Weight. There was something like a 30 to 50% increase in risk of hip dysplasia as the weight of the bulldog went up. The # 1 preventative measure for avoiding hip dysplasia, is keeping the dog lean. Of course in the case of the study, they were comparing fat bulldogs to slim ones. But the same rule would be true with smaller versus larger. Smaller weighs less :) Baxter is the smallest bulldog I have seen thus far, for his age. He's overall dwarfed in size comparison to others his age, and at 7 months weighs in at 27lbs. You should have far fewer joint issues in the future with your little guy.

You made one other apt observation: The fat one was lethargic. Trust me, you'll want the one with more personality.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
The puppy picks you NOT the other way around.
I agree 100%

We were deciding between Holly and her brother. Holly was very docile and laid back when we met her. We were buying this puppy for my wife but somehow Holly choose me and that's why we got her. Holly was bigger than her litter mates and is now 55 lbs and almost to her 2nd birthday. She also has a big personality and totally pulled the shades over our eyes when we met her! Haha! As I sit here typing she keeps nudging me with her snout, it must be time to play :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kevin, she is too adorable and yes, these bullies are smart enough to fool us!

My Cami, here 8 months, is a rehome and a retired breeder (from an ethical
breeder) now almost 6 yrs old, Cami was very sweet & well mannered. As
she settled in and got to trust me, her little bit of diva came out...to stay!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.