brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so things were calming down with Brutus and Frankie (they still aren't together though, and now we have a new problem. I don't think Frankie likes other dogs. I have noticed that he will charge the fence and growl at my neighbor on the one side that has a rotty. Now today he charged the other side of the yard where the pit bull lives and he broke the fence. My son had treats in his pocket and was able to stop him before he got out but what the heck is going on? Is he getting comfortable and his personality is showing?? I have never been so confused and upset in my life. I called the rescue lady and she is going to have someone call me tomorrow to see if we can do something about his behavior.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Rosalie I'm so sorry… I have been reading your posts about Frankie, and was praying that he would calm down. I have no experience w/rescue dogs… just wanted to show my support!!! Keep us posted… :hug:

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosalie I'm so sorry… I have been reading your posts about Frankie, and was praying that he would calm down. I have no experience w/rescue dogs… just wanted to show my support!!! Keep us posted… :hug:
Thanks. I am just worried that he will be like that to my babies. I will see what the trainer says. we also let him out last night when Bru was in his kennel for a bit and Frankie peed all over my couch!! again!! ugh.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I hope he is just "testing the waters" so to speak. But sometimes a dog who has personality problems DOESN'T show them until they get comfortable in their new surroundings. I had ONE rescue who was fine-and when settled in-started attacking MY dogs. BUT-it was a private rescue. Wouldn't the rescue where you got Frankie have known if he was dog aggressive? How has he been about Brutus? Maybe he is getting protective of the property? Had he seen these neighbor dogs before this day?
Sorry you are having such a difficult time.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes he can see into the neighbors yard from my deck. Tha'ts what I am afraid of is that he will be aggressive to my dogs. right now they are separated by a gate, so they are not together. We asked the rescue lady and she just told us that the other people said that is likes other dogs but then she said he was in his crate most of the time so how would they know if he likes dogs??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes he can see into the neighbors yard from my deck. Tha'ts what I am afraid of is that he will be aggressive to my dogs. right now they are separated by a gate, so they are not together. We asked the rescue lady and she just told us that the other people said that is likes other dogs but then she said he was in his crate most of the time so how would they know if he likes dogs??

That is a good question-AND why was he in a crate most of the time? How does he react to yours, when they meet at the gate, and sniff each other? How long did the rescue have him-and usually they know for sure if he likes other dogs. You can ask the lady tomorrow about these things. The rescue I worked with knew all about the disposition of the dogs,and their reactions to most things.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lyn is right... seems he is getting comfortable and strting to show more of his personality/behavior. When is your friend coming over that is a trainer.... next week, right?

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is a good question-AND why was he in a crate most of the time? How does he react to yours, when they meet at the gate, and sniff each other? How long did the rescue have him-and usually they know for sure if he likes other dogs. You can ask the lady tomorrow about these things. The rescue I worked with knew all about the disposition of the dogs,and their reactions to most things.
We got him right from the original owners. He was never in the rescue. He sniffs at my dogs and sometimes will bark but I can't tell if he is playing or not. He is super strong and I'm afraid that if he gets aggressive i won't be able to hold him back. When he sees my cat he goes beserk and we can barley contain him. He jumped a 3ft fence to get to her.

- - - Updated - - -

Lyn is right... seems he is getting comfortable and strting to show more of his personality/behavior. When is your friend coming over that is a trainer.... next week, right?
she is calling me today.

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
You're a better person than me. I would have already returned him :( I've been reading your posts and it feels to me that you were not told everything about this dog, which doesn't seem fair. If, after you try all you can with Frankie, you do end up turning him back in, I would not see you as a bad person for doing so. Some dogs just need to be an only dog, not just for their own good, but for the good of others around them. Just sayin'.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosalie-If things don't work out-no one will think less of you. It is certainly not worth risking your dogs (&cats...) getting seriously hurt. Did the people give reason why they were "re-homing" this dog? Still seems strange to me why "he was in his crate most of the time". Of course, it is your call, and things may work out, but if not-any one would understand not putting your babies at risk-and and there are many more dogs who need homes. Maybe(just maybe....) THIS is not the right one for YOUR home. Not trying to get you to give up-just want ALL of you( &critters) to be safe. It may all work out, but there are some dogs that have to be an "only" dog. Wishing you the BEST.:hug::hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Many owners are not truthful when they give their dogs up to a rescue. Sadly!!!!

Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]..... [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] is a foster to adopt, so she got him directly from the owners, currently she is a foster mom, isn't that right [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]? If it works out, she would adopt.

Rosalie, I know you are so frustrated right now, only time will tell if Frankie is the right fit for your family. If not, that's okay too, he will find the right home hopefully. Take a deep breath, his whole world has been rocked and everything he knows is now different.

I'll be praying for you both, and hopefully when the trainer comes you will be given the tools you need and a new perspective. :pray:

Big hugs to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Ups -that doesn't sound right ,you see one of the dogs we adopted was fine until he settled in and the fights started -unfortunately for us we had to return him
But he was from a shelter -so no one knew nothing about him
I hope this isn't the case with Frank -and things do work out -even if they dont we know you are trying your hardest xxxx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Many owners are not truthful when they give their dogs up to a rescue. Sadly!!!!
I certainly agree with that statement! Which is another thing that is HURTFUL to THE DOGS!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Wondering how things are going re: Frankie, and what advice the trainer gave? Hope things are well with you all.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wondering how things are going re: Frankie, and what advice the trainer gave? Hope things are well with you all.
Things are still the same. We are meeting a man who is a retired NYPD K9 trainer tomorrow. I have to call him at 9am and then we will go for the eval. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the support and great advice. You have been a great help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.