Is 1 hour too long to walk a bulldog?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, i live in England ( so the climate is cold and rain, wind at the moment ) i enjoy a walk around my local woods ( without a dog at the moment :( ) how long is too long to be walking with a male English Bulldog?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It will depend on the specific dog...... my boy, NO WAY would he be able to do that.... my girl, aould not have a problem

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Walking in the woods in England sounds so lovely! I think it depends on how vigorous your walk would be...is it a fast pace, is it uphill, or are you walking leisurely through a mixture of some hills, some flat areas. You just want to keep an eye on your future bulldog's demeanor--excessive panting would tell me he might be over-exerting himself. You may also want to take frequent rest breaks if you're going on a long walk/hike. I would advise you to bring a bottle of water on your walks too so your bully will be hydrated. When you get your bulldog don't do a 1 hour walk straight away, but instead work up to it day by day. Your bulldog will make an awesome companion on your woodsy walks! :walk:

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I walk an hour or more with Bifi (to the pet supply store :D) and at the end of our little trip he still has energy to play. But then again he is still a puppy (well actually a teeny to be precise, he's 8 months old) he is still a bundle of energy, now an adult bulldog i don't know. I also get to do that because it's winter.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Cali hit it on the head. You definitely need to read your bullies body language. Start of slow and build up to it. Weather will definitely play a big part in determining how long you walk.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=10635]homeriscool[/MENTION] It depends on the dog. My female EB can barely walk up my driveway! So she rarely goes on walks. But I walk my male EB and my frenchie everyday through a woods in my town and we will walk either 30 minutes or sometimes an hour and a half. It really depends on the day and the weather and I let the dogs dictate how long our walk will be. Some days they just seem tired and will start to lag so I will end the walk early and other days they are chasing other dogs running around and don't want to stop at all! I also built up to them being able to walk that much, I never would have just taken them on an hour and a half walk if they weren't used to it and I also don't push them if they seem tired. :)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I think it depends. some days Ruthie can walk for hours then other days she will just go for a few blocks and back home. She loves to walk in the woods! I would just watch and see how he responds and don't push him too much!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion it depends more on the pace than the time. My boys can go on for hours in their own pace.

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
This info is gold to me thanks everyone. I used to have a staffordshire bull terrier until a few years ago until he departed us. He was so energetic and could walk and run forever. He leterally never ran out of energy. Ive never had a lazy dog, so i kind of hope i dont get a very lazy bully :eek:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
For us it depends on Brutus' mood. Sometimes he doesn't even make it up the block before he turns himself around to head home. If I don't take his signal and head home, he will lay down for a nap.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Gosh, we walk 2-3 30 min walks a day! I really see a difference in Tucker, he really Loves his "walkies", even in the snow!! As you can read each dog is different, but from the time we could we took Tucker on walks, and it really calms him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor (8 months old) loves long walks in the forest! He is a much better walker out in the woods than in town. In the forest he walks without a leash and will easily go hiking with us for 1-2 hours. We always bring water for him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.