Matilda is a Kitty (and is Litter Box trained!)

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
As I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to litterbox train Matilda since her grass allergy has been such an issue. We also live in an apartment and people on the street do not pick up after their dogs, so I decided to make her a litter box on our balcony.

I got a plastic underbed storage container, a shower curtain liner (to line the box), and doggie litter (made from paper not clay). It took Matilda two seconds to use it for the first time and it has been entirely successful! It's so much more sanitary than using synthetic grass and much easier cleanup.

Matilda was trained to potty on command, so I didn't assume there would be issues, but she learned immediately and we have not had any issue with it so far. She's even getting better about walking around the litter (as she sinks a little bit).

It is a GREAT alternative for dog's with severe allergies like Til! I just wanted to share as I am very happy with it! And she has not tried to eat the litter at all!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That is so cool, she's a smart cookie. And it must be so much easier for you as well, since you live in an apartment building, rather than going up and down the elevator. I'm glad it worked out for you, what a great idea.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Hello!

I am also in an apartment. Some questions:

1) Doesn't it stink in the house?
2) How does the cleanup go? I always hated cleaning kitty litter, but you said its easier to clean?
3) Does the doggy litter have the "clump" feature like the kitty litter for the urine? That would explain why its easier.

I almost wonder if I should train baxter to do this. WHen he's not in the mood to walk outside, he will still sometimes just crap right on the living room floor.

I just worry about the stink ...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
awesome.... so happy it is working out and she is a smart little girl to have adjusted immediately to it or, she is just thinking 'hey, I do not have to walk anymore now' :D

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Woo Hoo she is such a smart girl! Sounds like everyone is happy.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! That's fantastic! Especially with her allergies, congratulations!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi!

1) It's on my balcony so it is outside. We live off a freeway so I don't really use the balcony since it's so loud. It doesn't really smell, but I wouldn't want it in the house either.
2) The litter is made from paper and turns spongey when it has absorbed liquid. I just scoop out the clumped up bits and it's done :)
3) Yes, it turns dark and spongey! It absorbs quite a lot actually, I thought I'd have to scoop out much more often. And for poop, we leave doggie bags outside and have a trash bag out there, too!

Hello!

I am also in an apartment. Some questions:

1) Doesn't it stink in the house?
2) How does the cleanup go? I always hated cleaning kitty litter, but you said its easier to clean?
3) Does the doggy litter have the "clump" feature like the kitty litter for the urine? That would explain why its easier.

I almost wonder if I should train baxter to do this. WHen he's not in the mood to walk outside, he will still sometimes just crap right on the living room floor.

I just worry about the stink ...

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Congrats on the litter training. MAN..I would hate to clean that box.Its bad enough with the cat.Good luck with it.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Koozer actually came to us from the breeder as litter box trained. It was really cool and much easier to potty train as a result. We used the wood pellets (like the ones for wood burning stoves; basically compressed sawdust that you can get at lowes or any home improvement store) and those worked so well. They smelled good, were easy to clean up, and were environmentally friendly. So happy for your litter box training success!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.