what fabrics do you find work best

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
In the near future we will be getting new living room furniture. I would love some input on what fabrics you have found to be the most dog friendly. Our current set is a tweedy finish and it is a hair magnet. I would like leather but hubs is afraid they will trash it with their nails. Thanks and merry merry.

Lisa

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Before getting our leather couch, we had microfibre. The fur will stick to it like a magnet BUT it wipes clean very easily and fur doesn't get stuck in the weave. It also washes well. We used to take the cushions out of ours and throw the in the wash. It never faded and came out looking like new every time.

Also, before ruling out leather completely, have you checked out analine leather? Any scratches can be buffed right out and its very difficult to puncture. Its a thicker yet cheaper grade of leather, so its affordable. Any drool, food, or fur just wiped right off it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think most dog owners, who have several dogs, have leather furniture. Leather is pretty tough. Don't be fooled by "leather composite", which is leather and vinyl combined". Leather is pretty tough-real leather. It wipes clean, doesn't harbor fleas, and hair doesn't "stick" to it! The only real maintainence (can't spell anymore...)with leather, is to use conditioner, every once in awhile-so it doesn't dry out. I had leather-it's the best!(I think!) "bonded" leather is also vinyl and leather mixed.Junk.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We got rid of our 1 year old Micro-Fiber set and bought Leather, MUCH easier to maintain!! You do have to condition it, and I do have Vegas's nails dremeled at PetsMart for $11.00 that way they are rounded instead of square cut. Also I keep a sheet or blanket down on the spot he always lays on. Fur and slobber marks wipe right off. I love my leather set.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone, leather is the way to go, we also have a leather set, and it's great for cleaning, dog hair doesn't stick, drool wipes off with a damp cloth, I also use a swiffer duster on it, it picks up all the hair, and then I damp wipe it. It's also great for kids, you don't have to worry about crumbs, spilled milk or juice, everything wipes off.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I find leather works best too. I moved my microfibre over to the living room and bought a leather set for the family room where we spend most of our time in. Can't say enough good things about leather, simply wipe and tada!, all near and clean. I bought the good quality leather too since I've heard not so good stories about the synthetic ones. Actually we bought the set from a couple who was downsizing because they're kids were moving for college. It's a year old, but very well maintained. Saved a lot of money that way.

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
Fantastic feedback. I knew I could count on you folks. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Fantastic feedback. I knew I could count on you folks. :)

If you can find a sofa made with Brompton Leather, I would recommend that. It's a thicker leather and super durable. It also has a more distressed look with time and wear which kind of adds to its character. I have two bullies who are constantly jumping, playing, rough housing on my sofa and I too feared punctures/tears into the fabric, but it's been holding up very well and very easy to clean.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I've been saying to my hubby that our next set should be leather...but his friend keeps telling him "no". According to his friend...it gets ruined too easily. His friend probably got the leather/vinyl combo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
leather.... we have two sets, one set is 13 years old and still in great shape... it is a very soft leather. The other set we bought last year, has some scrathes already, but is not as good of a leather as the other. Make sure it is not fake leather or a combo mix

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I wanted leather hubby wanted something totally different. I didnt win. But with diaper dogs and losing their diapers mircrofiber is a pain in the butt, hair sticks to it. I have to steam clean it every week. Hubby has admitted I was right and should have went with leather. Can you tell im gloating lol...This couch and its only a about two years old and its done. I want so badly to chuck it and use bean bag chairs till i can afford a new couch. Thats how much I hate this one.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We also have a leather sectional which is great for hair, drool, etc...but when Tank goes "crazy dog" he has scratched it. I keep runner rugs (24x60) across the couch surface which does protect add some protection and when they get dirty, I just toss them in the washer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.