It's been a while: Curly update :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So the last I posted here I was complaining about Curlys bloody smelling breath. It turns out he has a rather bloody teething going on in the back of his mouth. No worries the vet said, it's normal.

Curly is now about 5.5 months and was just neutered Monday. Everything went great and I swear he is more rounded now. He was very happy at night when we brought him home

I found out today he is allergic to some type of bug - maybe a spider? He was bitten by a bug and he broke out in hives so bad that we needed to rush him to the vet because we were concerned about his breathing. Fortunately his vitals were fine and the vet gave him Benadryl and steroids through an IV. Three hours has passed since the visit and he hives are almost all gone (pics below).

Finally, I think we've conquered the tear stain problem by switching his food from Buffalo Blue Wilderness to Fromms Four Star Pork and Peas. He has been on it for about 2 months and started seeing improvements after a month. the only stains now are directly beneath his "tear ducts" I think they will go away with time. I wanted to thank you for all your advice and help with that.

In a few days Curly will be able to go on long walks again and our next mission is to try to have him lose a little weight. He is 53 pounds now and the vet is concerned that he is on the cusp of being too heavy. We started this month going on 2 mile walks once a day aside from his normal 15 min walks he has 4x a day. For anyone who remembers I barely could get him to walk to the end of the block at 3.5 months so this is quite an accomplishment :)

Anyhow I'll keep everyone posted more often. Q4 has really put a damper in me goofing off online all day!

And here is what you've all been waiting for pics! First pic is the night after bring curly home from being neutered (big smil). The next are of his hives. Then his hives 3 hours later. And then the bug bite that caused it all. Last one just because :)

e4aru3yr.jpg

a6u5u9ed.jpg

y5asytut.jpg

8ure3y7e.jpg

5ary5y5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great update! good to see you again!

The boy looks fantastic... food makes all the difference. LOVE the family shot at the end!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You have a happy group of babies there, that last pic is EXTREMELY cute!! I'm happy he is doing better now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is such a cutie and happy boy.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mimi used to get those hives. Not sure what bug? She ate. Benadryl always worked. Why they keep eating the same bug I am not sure but it must taste really good.

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
The hives look scary, but his belly freckles are the most adorable ever! How cute!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=3914]gobronco[/MENTION] I'm not sure why the Benadryl didn't work for him, he just got worse as the day progressed. Maybe I wasn't giving him enough (I gave him 50mg). If I had known he would end up looking like a bumpy marshmallow by the end of the day I would have taken him to the vet sooner - he was doing fine for the first four hours after the bite. The hives were much worse than the pic I took - that was about an hour after coming home from the vet. Nuts, but I'm glad he was okay and didn't have breathing problems. Were going camping in Yosemite for Xmas so I'm bringing Benadryl with me just in case
[MENTION=8097]Henry[/MENTION] the spots are my favorite too!

u2ynahus.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
love the picture above! What a cute threesome! Happy to hear the bite was not too serious. Happy Camping!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks! It wasn't too bad but he now has some tear stains from his eyes being swollen...and we just got rid of them ahhhh! Lol. Minor problem, I'm just happy that it was a quick treatment and didn't break the bank ($100 for the emergency cost plus IV steroid and Benadryl)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Glad the pooch is feeling better. 50mg is what we used to give Mimi. First couple of times we rushed her to the vet. After that, we just gave her the Benadryl. Note: her only symptoms were the bumps everywhere and maybe a little itching. No breathing problems,lethargy etc. with those symptoms gotta err on the safe side and get to the vet. How did the camping trip go? Gotta do a post on the trip. Bulldogs love camping. Especially having their own chair by the campfire.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=3914]gobronco[/MENTION] he LOVED camping. So much so he didn't want to leave!! We had packed up the jeep put the other two dogs in, looked around for Curly only to find him sitting on the porch of the cabin like he was saying "nope I'm staying here" We all started laughing because he did walk to the jeep which was all the way down the drive way. We took maybe 30 seconds getting the other 2 dogs in - curly must have ran back to the porch when we weren't looking haha!

I asked my friend who owns the cabin if he wanted another dog haha he said "yes of course because Curly is awesome" ;)

When we finally brought him home for the next few days he would walk to the garage door and wait there. When I open the door he would walk to my jeep and wait there. He wants to go back so badly! Maybe we will in the spring

Here is a pic where he refused to leave. Camouflaged to the center right

9amemu4u.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=3914]gobronco[/MENTION] I'm not sure why the Benadryl didn't work for him, he just got worse as the day progressed. Maybe I wasn't giving him enough (I gave him 50mg). If I had known he would end up looking like a bumpy marshmallow by the end of the day I would have taken him to the vet sooner - he was doing fine for the first four hours after the bite. The hives were much worse than the pic I took - that was about an hour after coming home from the vet. Nuts, but I'm glad he was okay and didn't have breathing problems. Were going camping in Yosemite for Xmas so I'm bringing Benadryl with me just in case
[MENTION=8097]Henry[/MENTION] the spots are my favorite too!

u2ynahus.jpg

What an adorable picture!!!! Glad to hear things are going so well too!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.