Belly button hernia not healing right

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is going back to the vet tomorrow. His neutering wound seems fine but his belly button hernia looks worse than before! I hope he doesn't have to get another surgery. Here is a pic let me know what you think especially those that have been through this. Thanks!

suqebany.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Matt I had one of our puppies that had something similar, but it went down on it's own. Has he always had that, or just after the neutering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
He had the belly button hernia since I have him. The vet kept an eye on it over the past few months and it did not go down so I had it taken care of when he went for neutering. But it doesn't look right to me. His scrotum looks fine just not the belly button

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki's looked exactly like that the internal stitching caused and allergic reaction he was put on anti biotic and we were told that we could pick the stitches as the came out or they could do another surgery and reopen and try another method. We peroxide loki's once and it seemed to help a lot of the loose stitches come to the top of the skin we were able to pull them out the next morning. These 2 are more and more alike all the time. Hope you guys get some answers soon!

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I know they are! Well Rocco has dissolving stitches. But it does look like some sort of allergic reaction. When I look closely it looks like there may be some pus

ajuta3es.jpg

It's like why can't it just be a nice simple healing process?

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Not to mention the bump seems bigger than ever!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It may have some fluid build up, it looks sore for sure, have you been cleaning it with anything? My vet always tells me not to clean with anything, and if I MUST clean a wound only use some water with betadyne in it, or some saline solution, but nothing with chemicals like peroxide or alcohol.

Let us know how hes doing, give him a big hug please!

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
No I haven't touched it. My vet said the same thing not to put anything on it. So my fiance is taking him in this afternoon when she gets home. I'm thinking it may be an infection that he'll need anti biotic for, but I'm not happy with the job the vet did with the hernia altogether and I would hate for him to have to go for another surgery so this guy can fix it the right way. I assumed he'd have no more bump there

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Saturday morning (a week after her spay surgery) June's incision was a little pink, looked like a rash around it, and was moist - like clear fluid coming out. We took her in to have the vet look at it and he said it was just a little infection, and pretty common. He gave us Clavamox to give twice a day, and it looked considerably better by Monday. She is still taking the antibiotic till Friday but it's completely healed and looks way better. Getting stitches out today. I bet that's all it is...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Matt, it looks like a localized infection- maybe just a reaction to the stitches. Bogey had something similar, but it wasnt as swollen. he came home on antibiotics as a precaution anyway, and it cleared up fine. Antibiotics should take care of it quickly. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Well he went to the vet today. The vet looked at it and said it looks good. He said it's normal to look how it does and the bump Will go down over time as it heals. He said it looks like it could be rubbing like when he lays down and stuff. The vet recommended no antibiotics yet. He said the stitches were left a tiny bit loose on the outside because of his breed? But he thinks there is nothing to worry about. So although a bit relieved I'm still in disbelief because I would have thought we'd get antibiotics by now. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days and see what it looks like this weekend, a week after surgery

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good news, Matt! He may have left the stitches "a little loose" because they tighten up quite a bit, as it heals. I have seen areas that are healing after surgery, that do look pretty pink-but not infection. Probably doesn't want to give antibiotics if unnecessary. We know you will be vigilant about it! Happy all is well with Rocco!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The bump will stay there for a little while and will eventually go down.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
The bump will stay there for a little while and will eventually go down.

Good to know. Thank you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.