Does your bully fetch?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I was playing with our blue Heeler (Ellie) this weekend while Molly (EB) sat on the porch doing her best to ignore us... and i started wondering how many Bulldogs actually like playing fetch?

I would think all dogs have 'prey drive' (The urge to chase things). Retrieving on the other hand is stronger in some breeds but i'm sure can be taught to any dog.

For Ellie (Blue Heeler), playing fetch is the end-all favorite thing in the world. At the age of 13 i have to limit how much she plays because her body cant keep up with her 'drive'. After 11 years (that i've had her) she still starts 'body shaking' any time sees a tennis ball.

Molly (EB) will chase a leaf blowing across the yard, birds, bugs and even Ellie.. But if you toss a tennis ball she'll turn around and walk the other way.

Does your bulldog play fetch?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Fetch as in chase after it but never bring it back? Yes, Stiggy mastered that trick! :giggle:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber loves to play fetch; she will bring it back but will not drop it because fetch is always the first step to tug a war which she dearly loves. She likes you to chase her around too. Ruby not so much, she just likes tug-a-war.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, most of ours like to fetch, but just for a little while. Some love chasing it, but will let it there. LOL

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
^^Same as Therese said. June loves to play fetch and will bring it back, but then it's tug a war till she lets go and I throw it again. She does it with several different toys. However, I took one of her rubber balls to the dog park to have more room to play fetch and she made me look stupid throwing it and then going to pick it up myself. Haha she acted like she had no clue what I was doing, but I think she was just too distracted playing with the other dogs there.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Yep she fetches and makes you chase her to get it back and her lil round self is fast!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster will play fetch in the house, outside is a different story. I can throw a toy outside and he'll run to where I threw it and stand and star me down. Makes no sense!!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
So... it sounds like i have a chance getting Chunky to play fetch. The trick will be making him think its his idea not mine :)

We'll work on it once he gets that tricky 'running' skill mastered.

@Blueberrys Mom.. for the record, i did search first!! That thread didn't come up :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So... it sounds like i have a chance getting Chunky to play fetch. The trick will be making him think its his idea not mine :)

We'll work on it once he gets that tricky 'running' skill mastered.

@Blueberrys Mom.. for the record, i did search first!! That thread didn't come up :(

no, no.. I only linked it so you can see that not fetching is perfectly "normal" for a bullie.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven loves to play fetch. She gets rather demanding with her tennis ball at times. She will literally keep throwing it up on your lap to get you started in a game of fetch.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does...He loves playing with a football (his favorite) but he will play fetch with just about any of his toys its his favorite game.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Lily will fetch when she wants to -she loves to chaise her tennis ball more tho

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea will go after whatever was tossed but getting her to bring it back is another story.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.