wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
as the description says this day has been pretty craptacular. As I noted in the other thread me and my gf went and looked at a puppy etc....but now everyone in their mother (co-workers, family members, you name it) are now saying this is a horrible idea to get a dog and my girlfriend is starting to have second thoughts. First thing they are saying is we dont have enough time as I am in grad school and my gf works till 5 daily. They say it's too much work and too difficult this time in our lives. 2nd argument is bulldogs have too many health problems and will cost us an arm and a leg to take care of. Any answer I can come up with they just keep countering with the above. IT just sucks, researched for months, got excited and now everyone makes ya feel like crap and this is a horrible idea.:*(

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Well, puppies take time whenever you get them. If you ask me there's never a perfect time. Life is always busy.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was married for one month and starting a new marriage when we got Vegas, My family and his both pleaded with us to wait, let us enjoy our marriage first. NOPE I wanted one now, do I have regrets? ..Sometimes..., it was/is alot of work and if they are not healthy it can be an arm and a leg. I am so fortunate Vegas is so healthy.

As newlyweds many times we wanted to just pack a bag and go and sometimes we did, but we had to plan for Vegas to go to my son's or where we boarded him. It cost over $200.00 when we boarded him for 5 days to finally take our honeymoon last June.

I took 3 months off work when I got married so I got to spend the first 3 months with him all the time, when I went back to work I only work 20 hours a week now. Off every Fr. Sat. and Sunday, so Vegas still spends much time with me. It would be such a hard decision to make, on one hand I wish I would have waited, on the other then I wouldn't have got MY Vegas. Good Luck

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
as the description says this day has been pretty craptacular. As I noted in the other thread me and my gf went and looked at a puppy etc....but now everyone in their mother (co-workers, family members, you name it) are now saying this is a horrible idea to get a dog and my girlfriend is starting to have second thoughts. First thing they are saying is we dont have enough time as I am in grad school and my gf works till 5 daily. They say it's too much work and too difficult this time in our lives. 2nd argument is bulldogs have too many health problems and will cost us an arm and a leg to take care of. Any answer I can come up with they just keep countering with the above. IT just sucks, researched for months, got excited and now everyone makes ya feel like crap and this is a horrible idea.:*(

I feel for you, but consider that most, if not all, of the people that are asking you to consider all aspects of puppy ownership before taking the plunge are people that care about you and are asking you some pretty good questions. They want to help you make a good decision.

I got my first bulldog when I was in grad school because I had a really flexible schedule that allowed me to spend lots of time with him (then them) and that's really important. But in grad school, you don't make much money and bulldogs are NOT cheap dogs. They do cost a lot of money - as some say, the cheapest thing about them is what you pay for them. They often require specialized vet care, a very high quality (expensive) diet, and such. If you get a puppy, depending on how old it is, they do not sleep through the night either - a fact which I did not know when we brought our 9 week old home. It was really hard and you will be making sacrifices with your time, money, and, at times, patience - but, as I said in another thread, these sacrifices are more than paid back with the love and affection and companionship a bulldog offers.

I think you need to take all things into consideration. It sounds like you are bothered by people's concerns because they are, to a certain extent, valid. But in the end, the decision is yours! If you believe that you have time, patience, love, and financial stability to welcome a bulldog into your family, then do it! If not, you can always get a puppy or a rescue later ... and that's a lot easier than finding yourself with a puppy or dog you can't care for. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My advice is to listen to what your heart tells you. I had the same experience as you, everyone, including fam, co-workers, friends (small amount) was vocal about the negative things. How we wouldn't have enough time for him, the house is going to smell like 'dog', it's like taking care of a baby and that we should enjoy our lives first, too much health problems, etc, etc.

But after much research, my bf and I took the plunge and we haven't regretted it one bit. My bully, Stig, had allergies but we were able to control it thanks to this forum (and health insurance). He goes to dog day once a week midweek so he can socialize and to tire him out a bit. lol. He's been such a delight and a joy to be around that we never think of the bad things. Sure, we now have to be selective in our outings and we can't be too spontaneous as [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] mentioned, but it never turns out to be as such a big deal as people say.

My bf and I are starting out our lives too. Intro salary, new house, I go to school part time, both full-time workers ... but we always find a way to work it out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When my husband wanted a $900 English Bulldog when we first got married (that was the most expensive dog back then) EVERYONE thought we were nuts. Plus my family came from a long line of fluffy lap dogs. I fell in love with our baby girl and she was the love of my life.

What people who give you advice do not realize is that THEY don't have care for the baby bully. THEY are not the ones who will be responsible. My family is so nosey and even try to tell me how to arrange my furniture. Why do they care? THEY DON'T LIVE HERE! They even try to name my children for me.

I guess my point is, only YOU and your gf know if you are ready. From now on, I would keep the discussions amongst yourself and your girlfriend, even though your family is just trying to help- it is much easier to see the downfalls than the benefits.

You do want to commit yourself for LIFE tho. Literally. 6 months down the road you don't want to rehome because your life became inconvient, or you don't want to pay for some traumatic expense, or maybe it was 'too soon'.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
All great advice already I cant add much to any of it. I agree, go with your heart and consider all sides of it before you get the pup. I didnt think we were ready when we got Cutty but hubby wanted him and that was it. I looked around our apart at the time and wondered how we would "puppy proof" our whole lives? What would happen when we went to work etc. We brought him home and all that was out the window. (Of course we got him at 9 months so he was pretty well trained mind you) It all worked out just fine aside from us not knowing that our apartment didnt allow dogs over 25 pounds. :eek: What did we do? Bought our first house for Cutty. lol. Talk about love right? Health wise he hasnt been expensive at all aside from feeding the expensive food but I suppose if you add in the cost of the house he cost us a pretty penny. :p

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
1.Bulldogs (any puppy really) is like having a baby. Are you willing to wake up every 2 hours or less to take them potty. Will you be able to feed the puppy 3 times a day? Get them used to being touched, pulled on, etc?

2.Will you be able to clean the tail pocket and face daily?

3.Are you able to deal with a dog that needs surgery, vet care, emergencies at the drop of a hat? With cost, time, and patience?

I think if you can answer yes to these questions, I think then it is the right time. If you answer no, then maybe you should wait until you are ready and able to give the puppy the best life possible. No one, but yourself can answer that for you... not even your gf, parents, friends, or us- strangers...

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I agree with everyone on here. I was pissed off earlier as the people preached to me about it. I love advice of all kinds from all angles and more ideas and thoughts are better than 1. I understand the realities of what it is going to be like having a dog, let alone a puppy, doesn't mean I am happy about being up every two hours on a work night, but I understand and am ok with these issues. I know they can be a tremendous amount of work and with me working full time and being in grad school full time, a lot of the pressure is going to be on my gf for a little while. Luckily we are young and make ok salaries (combined 96-100k) yearly and we own our home. There is no perfect time I know, but I ALWAYS 2nd guess myself with life changing decisions, as i'm sure more people do. I did before me and my gf moved in together, then decided to buy a house together in this economic market. The big change for my gf will be re-arranging our lives as we will have to think about the dog, luckily we are don't make that much and have to worry about taking expensive vacations haha. But I did make a decision.............I go put the deposit down Thursday night on a 5 week old male pup, white head with brown and white body! I am psyched about it and my gf is just nervous, as she always is hahahaha. We will see how this adventure goes. THANK YOU everyone for the feedback it is appreciated!

Last edited:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Good for you!!! Now get us photos, lol.

No one has to live with the decision but you and your gf. in the weeks leading up to getting the puppy you are going to be thrilled and not be able to contain yourself once you get him home. They bring a joy into your home that is hard to describe, you just have to experience it for yourself and now you can!! Congrats.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree with everyone on here. I was pissed off earlier as the people preached to me about it. I love advice of all kinds from all angles and more ideas and thoughts are better than 1. I understand the realities of what it is going to be like having a dog, let alone a puppy, doesn't mean I am happy about being up every two hours on a work night, but I understand and am ok with these issues. I know they can be a tremendous amount of work and with me working full time and being in grad school full time, a lot of the pressure is going to be on my gf for a little while. Luckily we are young and make ok salaries (combined 96-100k) yearly and we own our home. There is no perfect time I know, but I ALWAYS 2nd guess myself with life changing decisions, as i'm sure more people do. I did before me and my gf moved in together, then decided to buy a house together in this economic market. The big change for my gf will be re-arranging our lives as we will have to think about the dog, luckily we are don't make that much and have to worry about taking expensive vacations haha. But I did make a decision.............I go put the deposit down Thursday night on a 5 week old male pup, white head with brown and white body! I am psyched about it and my gf is just nervous, as she always is hahahaha. We will see how this adventure goes. THANK YOU everyone for the feedback it is appreciated!

It sounds well thought out and VERY similar to the situation I was in seven years ago when I got my first bulldog. Congrats!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
well when we first got lex his family kept saying how much work puppies can be and that we shouldnt get one that we made a huge mistake getting him ect... well i work 12 hr shifts rotate every month and jeff works 8 hr shifts at nite. well when lex was a puppy i would take him to work with me when i had to work weekday nites since no one was home.. its worked out perfectly for us and has been a great experience.. just listen to your hearts not everyones mouth lol...

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=676]mammyglicks[/MENTION] hoping when i put the deposit down on Thursday night they will let me take a picture of the little guy as I will technically own 1/5th of the little guy

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I just want to say one thing...I know you already made your decision, and I am happy for you.... the one thing I wanted to say is this... Getting a puppy is like deciding to have a baby, when is the right time...if you wait for it you will never have one... Kuddo's to you for going with your heart and deciding to go ahead and get your puppy.... it will be the love of your life.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And, always remember.....The initial "purchase" of the bulldog will be the cheapest part about owning one. You won't regret your decision (well maybe for a short time when the pooing and chewing are out of control) but you will never find a more loyal and loving breed. This will be your first child........in every way you can imagine! Congrats. I can't wait to meet your little man. Do you have a name picked out?

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.