Winston is 8 months, one quick question

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston was 8 months as of Thursday and it's been a great 6 months of bonding and watching the little guy grow. For those that, like me thought the 8 weeks took an eternity to go get your EB pup, wait until you get it. Seems line we've only had him a month or so.

Quick question:
The first picture I attached is from today. He has these little red bumps on his chin that I think are food related. Although maybe it's not. Winston constantly runs around sometimes smelling stuff with his face basically running the ground. It's also now cold and lots of snow here in Minnesota. These probably showed up two weeks ago.

Background:
We fed him pink Fromms puppy until 6-6 1/2 months. Towards the end his tear stains got worse. We started apple cider vinegar in the water and Fromm pork and peas. Last time we went to the store they didn't have pork and peas so my girlfriend got him Fromm salmon tunalini. I'm wondering if this maybe causing the bumps. He barely had them on the pork and peas but now seems to have them worse with this food. I thought you could switch the 4 star foods without transition. We had to in this case.

Here are some recents of the little monster. Gotta be close to 50lbs in this small frame. Was 42 lbs when he got neutered a month ago.
ybe5aguz.jpg
sanypy9e.jpg
eneja5yt.jpg
y6y7ehe6.jpg
agemunaj.jpg
ma9a2e6u.jpg
uvu5ysab.jpg

MommaLovesDEXTER

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hey there what cutie he is! Dexter started getting those bumps too between 6 -8 months. He is now 1 1/2 it stopped once we started cleaning under his chin with a rag after he drinks water. It's become a habit now. If u do that already could be some body allergy. Good luck!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This CAN happen from stainless steel bowls, plastic, or wet chin. Try wiping his chin after drinking-see if that helps. Sometimes they get "puppy acne".

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a cutie pie for sure. The bumps on the chin is like bully acne, just dry his chin after he eats and drinks and that should help. You might be doing this already, but use stainless steel bowls for water and food. Ours didn't do very well with the FROMM Salmon but they to great the Pork and Peas and the Game Bird.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He uses big stainless bowls but we don't wipe his chin after drinking. We'll have to start. He drinks large amounts of water and has a trail of water coming from his jowls/cheeks constantly.

Put of curiosity are the non grain free Fromm foods ones to stay away from with bulldogs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He uses big stainless bowls but we don't wipe his chin after drinking. We'll have to start. He drinks large amounts of water and has a trail of water coming from his jowls/cheeks constantly.

Put of curiosity are the non grain free Fromm foods ones to stay away from with bulldogs?

I feed Fromm Pork and Peas, and can alternate between flavors if I wanted to, but can not use any of the tuna / salmon flavors as Banks breaks out from them

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, what a cutie pie. You already got some great advice from everyone. The rash could still be caused from a sensitivity or allergy from his food, my female Blossom has food allergies to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, she used to get a pink or red chin rash, and her ears would get warm and pink, and she was itchy and would lick her paws a lot. We switched our guys to Fromms Beef Frittata, and they've been great ever since. Chin acne can also be caused by using plastic bowls, and from being moist. You can try wiping his chin after eating and drinking, we usually use a scent free sensitive baby wipe on their face folds, chin, ears, and eyes.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Same here. Howie got bumps when we switched him to Orijen 6 fish when he was 6 months old. Big mistake! So no fish for the little guy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have been using the Fromm's Salmon, and Winston still has horrible tear stains. I have used almost all of the Fromm's varieties, I think it's time for a change of food brands...

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Just as an update, wiping his chin took most of it away and now you can't notice much of anything. Thanks for the tips!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online