Bulldog's Paws/Feet/Toes Question

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
Does the webbing between your dogs toes swell? Is it all the time, just sometimes or never?

Gypsy is approximately 4 and I've had her since May so I don't have much history on her. Her front toe webbing seems to be swollen most of the time. Her back toe webbing fluctuates, sometimes it's swollen other times it's not. I'm pretty sure it's not painful as she runs, plays and lets me touch her feet all the time.

I've read everything I can find on interdigital cysts/furnicals but I really don't believe that is the problem. She has had the occasional bump but it never explodes into a pusy mess and they rarely bleed. It's just a hairless little bump.

I've treated it with Hibicleans, Vetricin, Monostat, Hydrocortozone cream and witch hazel as well as soaking them in epsom salt. Nothing makes it go away completely.

I have not taken her to the vet because, well, she DISPISES the vet. I don't know what happened to her in her past life but the one time I took her to the vet, she was a completely different dog and not in a good way. :evil: I'm trying to save the vet visits for emergencys & shots only.

Could this be allergy related? I do think she is somewhat allergic to grass because the minute she gets near it her nose starts to run.

Is there any possibility this is mange?

Just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks,
Ami

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like an allergy from your description. Does she lick at her paws at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
could be grass allery..... can you post a picture of them?

My girl gets them, very rare, but they are hard and pimple like... never break open or burst, just sore and red

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
image.jpgimage.jpg

Here are a couple pictures.

Thanks,
Ami

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does look like allergy related. Have you tried a food change? Gema was biting her front paws and they looked terrible, and we changed her food and they cleared right up.

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the responses. She's on Taste of the Wild (purple bag).

A couple moths ago I switched her to Fromms (pork and peas & beef frittata) and it was horrible! She got thinning fur & itchy spots on her neck and she was constantly licking her paws.

She's been back on TOTW for two 15lb bags worth so maybe two months. She's not really licking her paws anymore either but they are swollen.

To to be honest I'm rather scared to do another food switch. I really hated seeing her miserable. I guess I have a big decision to make.:fie:

Thanks,
Ami

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox

A couple moths ago I switched her to Fromms (pork and peas & beef frittata) and it was horrible! She got thinning fur & itchy spots on her neck and she was constantly licking her paws.

She's been back on TOTW for two 15lb bags worth so maybe two months. She's not really licking her paws anymore either but they are swollen.

To to be honest I'm rather scared to do another food switch. I really hated seeing her miserable. I guess I have a big decision to make.:fie:

Thanks,
Ami

Lolas paws swell up too, i believe hers are allergy related. changing foods i think is the way to go, when you're ready. i would expect to change foods over the course of your bullys life because they can develop allergies over time, especially if you feed the same protein source all the time. Lolas paws didn't go down, and her body was itchy, until we got her on small dose of steroid and anti inflammatory meds. s during that treatment i switched her protein side, but off the drugs symptoms came back. went on small dose again until the first frost, and weaned her off....symptoms mostly gone. we think now she's allergic to grass. whew, that was long, but with a bully you might have to switch foods more often than you'd like, but can't rule out environmental. we use baby wipes on toes all the time. and that low dose of steroids really helped for that short time. take note of the time of year so next year it may click what the allergen is

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks,
Ami

What is the protein in the TOTW and is it grain free?

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What is the protein in the TOTW and is it grain free?

Yes, TOTW is grain free. The protein in lamb. I also think she is allergic to fish. She gets itchy when I give her salmon oil, so I need to stay away from fish.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.