Puppy therapy sessions

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Seamus and I have started volunteering with an organization called People.Animals.Love here in Washington DC. As a former Peace Corps volunteer I felt the urge to start volunteering again but didn't want to leave Seamus by himself on the weekends. My husband is a lawyer here in DC so works a lot of weekends. I figured I could volunteer and hang out with Seamus at the same time. Win win deal! Here are some pictures from our volunteering at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington DC. Mostly I go to retirement homes since I know dogs aren't allowed and the residents absolutely love Seamus. Seamus does so well with the residents. He just sits there and lets them pet him. Other than his obscene amount of drool he is the perfect therapy dog!

PAL picture.jpgPAL picture 3.jpgPAL picture 2.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Good for you! That is wonderful and Seamus is getting exactly what bullies love, Attention.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
What a lovely thing to do! You just made my day
We often forget about our veterans -and they too need a bit of normality-i noticed a huge difference with hubby PTSD and him having dogs to comfort him -i believe that they are masters of mending tired and broken hearts

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That's pretty awesome [MENTION=4716]ccurran[/MENTION] ! That must make you feel so good that you are able to share your beautiful Seamus with so many others! My brother was a Peace Corp Volunteer too, and I've always wanted to do that myself. There's nothing like the gift of volunteering.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a wonderful gift you are giving... so thoughtful and a a fantastic way to spend you weekend / time with your baby Seamus.

thank you for doing such a heart warming thing for all those people.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just love your pictures of Seamus, what a fantastic way to spend the holidays!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What a wonderful giving thing to do. Many of the people had their own pets, and are always happy to see dogs and tell a bout the ones they had. Thank you for being so kind to bring Seamus to cheer them. I'll bet Seamus enjoys it as much as the residents! The pictures are so nice.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Do you think they would want a rambunxious little piggy monster running around, or would a chill mature piggy be better?

Baxter would love this, but I would hate for him to be too overactive around them. What do you think?

If its cool I may do this here in Miami. Such a neat idea.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I absolutely LOVE the second photo! Seamus is a doll!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I work in a memory support facility (for elderly with dementia) and I can tell you our residents absolutely adore pet therapy time. Some people who rarely are happy or show emotion, do so when the pets come in! You are providing an amazing service with what you are doing :heart:

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Seamus and I have started volunteering with an organization called People.Animals.Love here in Washington DC. As a former Peace Corps volunteer I felt the urge to start volunteering again but didn't want to leave Seamus by himself on the weekends. My husband is a lawyer here in DC so works a lot of weekends. I figured I could volunteer and hang out with Seamus at the same time. Win win deal! Here are some pictures from our volunteering at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington DC. Mostly I go to retirement homes since I know dogs aren't allowed and the residents absolutely love Seamus. Seamus does so well with the residents. He just sits there and lets them pet him. Other than his obscene amount of drool he is the perfect therapy dog!

View attachment 62152View attachment 62153View attachment 62154

How did you get involved with this?! I'm in DC and would love to have Winston be a part!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Do you think they would want a rambunxious little piggy monster running around, or would a chill mature piggy be better?

Baxter would love this, but I would hate for him to be too overactive around them. What do you think?

If its cool I may do this here in Miami. Such a neat idea.

I am sure there is something like this in Miami. I had to go through an orientation to make sure Seamus was okay around other people and not too over active. As long as Baxter is good around people and other dogs I am sure you could do this!

Most Reactions