Thread: Puppy therapy sessions

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy therapy sessions

I work in a memory support facility (for elderly with dementia) and I can tell you our residents absolutely adore pet therapy time. Some people who rarely are happy or show emotion, do so when the pets come in! You are providing an amazing service with what you are doing

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ccurran View Post
    Seamus and I have started volunteering with an organization called People.Animals.Love here in Washington DC. As a former Peace Corps volunteer I felt the urge to start volunteering again but didn't want to leave Seamus by himself on the weekends. My husband is a lawyer here in DC so works a lot of weekends. I figured I could volunteer and hang out with Seamus at the same time. Win win deal! Here are some pictures from our volunteering at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington DC. Mostly I go to retirement homes since I know dogs aren't allowed and the residents absolutely love Seamus. Seamus does so well with the residents. He just sits there and lets them pet him. Other than his obscene amount of drool he is the perfect therapy dog!

Attachment 62152Attachment 62153Attachment 62154

How did you get involved with this?! I'm in DC and would love to have Winston be a part!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Do you think they would want a rambunxious little piggy monster running around, or would a chill mature piggy be better?

Baxter would love this, but I would hate for him to be too overactive around them. What do you think?

If its cool I may do this here in Miami. Such a neat idea.
    I am sure there is something like this in Miami. I had to go through an orientation to make sure Seamus was okay around other people and not too over active. As long as Baxter is good around people and other dogs I am sure you could do this!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by s5nelson View Post
    How did you get involved with this?! I'm in DC and would love to have Winston be a part!
    I found it online when I was looking to get involved with pet therapy. A lot of other pet therapy has intensive course training (i.e. Red Cross) but PAL is pretty quick and there is just 1 orientation and 2 sight visits. Once you are approved then you can start volunteering at a whole bunch of different places. You can go to their website and sign up for the orientation class if you are interested! It is such a great organization and you can be as involved as you like. If I didn't work (or was retired like I would to be ... although I am only 30 so its a long way off!) I would volunteer to be a mentor for students. There is a great program where you help after school with school work and also bring your dog! I wish I could do that but the times don't work out for me.

Hope this works out for you! Good luck!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Teddy and Cooper
    Likes (Received)

This just made my day. He is so cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Those photos are beautiful and so is Seamus Great thing you're doing
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Awesome and Inspirational...... I could see myself doing something like this with Rocky....... Not so much with Rambo....... Rambo is definitely a problem child, he needs so much attention and affection, I would consider taking him to the zoo though, but am afraid half the animals would jump off of Rocks, and Cliffs, and other objects rather than to be pestered by Rambo all day! hahahahaha Rocky on the other hand would be so peaceful, and love the petting and affection, and backing up to each patient for a tail bum scratch...... Thats my boy!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads