Do your bullies share a crate?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Last night I tried to send the girls outside to potty one last time before I went to bed, but they did 2 laps around the room and both ran and hopped into Gertie's crate. I'm wondering if maybe their crates are too large, and that's why Ida has no problem just pottying in hers'. Their crates are 23" x 36". The ones they've outgrown were about 1/2 that size and Wal-Mart doesn't have one inbetween. We could maybe get a different size at Petco or Petsmart, but they're so much more expensive there, we got ours' at Wal-Mart. I figured later, when they weigh 15 or 20 more pounds as adults, they'd need this size.

So when they were both in Gertie's crate I thought, Hmmm.. maybe this would keep them from going in the crate. I shut the door, Ida laid down and was snoring instantly and poor Gertie just sat there, looking at me like she was thinking, "Um, Mom... you gonna make her get out of my bed?" She finally laid down too. With them both laying cross-wise, they had room to lay and sleep, so I left them there, and guess what? No mess in the crate this-morning.

So, my questions are: Does anyone else let their Bullies share a crate? And what size crate do you think they need?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie doesnt use a crate but it sure sounds like you found a solution to your problem.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Chief stays in the bathroom and Ireland is now out of her crate and in a playpen" she wont potty in it unless Im not home and has to go real bad. I had her in one of those blk wire crates and just thought she didnt have enough room spoiled brat..

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We crate Daddy when we're not home and overnight, but it's definitely too big for him right now. He can easily do his business at one end and sleepat the other! After saying that he is getting better and we only have accidents now when he really HAS to go!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas and Orion are often in the same crate together...but they are usually bickering over a toy. I do think the crate is too big for each of them....but together, it may work. Do the girls usually snuggle down together when not crated? You may have to treat them as twins and let them 'nuggle together. If they find comfort in it, why not?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman loves to go in Linus' crate to visit but we don't let them sleep together. Linus has enough of Truman during the daylight hours!

Do you have a wire cage? Most of those come with a divider and you can use those to allow the cage to grow with the dog and not allow for too much room. Another solution is placing something like a pillow or box and securing it in the back of the crate to take up some of the room and make sure there's not a separate space to go bathroom. It's too expensive to keep buying different size crates.

Another thing that really helped Truman was not having any bedding. If he has a towel or blanket, he pees on it without fail. No towel, no pee.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I didn't let them stay like this but when Truman was a littler puppy, all he wanted to do was snuggle with his big bro.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm so discusted! Since I posted this yesterday morning things have gone from bad to worse. I was gone for about 3 hours yesterday and put Gertie and Ida in their own crates. I came back and Gertie (who usually isn't the problem) had :poo: in her crate. Then last night I put them together for the night and this-morning someone (I'm guessing Ida, but who knows?) had pooped in the back corner. I don't know what to do with these two! They're getting coal in their stockings!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm so discusted! Since I posted this yesterday morning things have gone from bad to worse. I was gone for about 3 hours yesterday and put Gertie and Ida in their own crates. I came back and Gertie (who usually isn't the problem) had :poo: in her crate. Then last night I put them together for the night and this-morning someone (I'm guessing Ida, but who knows?) had pooped in the back corner. I don't know what to do with these two! They're getting coal in their stockings!!

You never said if you've tried getting them on a schedule...or if the poops are soft? Truman will poop in his cage if his stools are loose sometimes but I think it's really tied back to them not being on a strict eating and pooping schedule.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Oh no, no coal. I have been lucky so far. Lola was never a problem and sleeps on her pillow on the floor (right by my side of the bed :luv:). She has maybe had 2 accidents and those have been from what she ate the night before. :eek: So far, knock on wood or whatever, Brodie sleeps with us at the foot and on his bed and no getting up or no accidents - yes only day 5 :up:. We did not think we would be that lucky with him and are sooo thankful. We sure hope this continues. I am sure they or you will get it figured out and everything will be good and they will get lots of presents from Santa. Good luck!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] Feeling your pain this morning. We were woken up by the smell of poop at 2.40am. Daddy had peed in his cage twice, pooped in it then stood in it and managed to get it EVERYWHERE. I came to bed at 10.30pm and made sure they were all out. He did have some carrot and frozen green beans as a treat last night .. wondering if there is a connection. It is also very cold and the yard is full of snow so maybe he's not pooping and peeing outside when he should be because of the weather??? However, this was not a good start to the day and neither of us really got back to sleep after clearing it up so today is going to be a very lllllooooonnnnngg day!! :*(

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva doesnt have a crate when we leave she lies in her bed and usually is there when we get back and at night she sleeps with us. I hope everything works out and if sleeping in the same crate works then why not? I hope they dont have any more accidents. :D

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Yes, they are on a schedule as far as eating. I try to make sure they go out for one last "go" before bed, but sometimes they go and sometimes they don't. Last night I was so irritated with them both, I put them in their own crates and told them, "If you want to sleep with a pile, go for it". I went to bed and this-morning everything was still clean. This all started when I got them the new beds on Black Friday. I have removed those and they aren't getting them back. They haven't been soft or loose, they've just suddenly decided they're going to make me want to clobber them, I guess. Maybe (hopefully), this is over with.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.