Sleeping in bed??

J9saylor

Sep 15, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Just a question- our bully is 6 months old and we would love for him to sleep on the bed. But every time he comes on the bed he goes crazy jumping and biting. He is playing but he gets very rough. He does the same thing if he comes on the couch with you. He is a great dog but he just is not one to cuddle. Is it because he is so young and still in the playful puppy stage?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 156

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie used to do the same thing in the bed. Once she learned commands like "stay", we brought her up and made her stay and be calm. If she was good, she got praises. If she was bad, she was off the bed. She still gets nutty sometimes in the bed, but she now knows to stop when you tell her to.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Stinky does the same thing. I would love for him to take a nap with me. But NO way!! He just wants to play and mess up the blankets.Who can sleep?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i think it's because you're still in puppy stages. Lola would get crazy eyes around 10pm everynight as a pup. She didn't sleep with us on our bed regularly until she was 2 years old actually. but she was allowed to have free reign of the house (includingour bed when we weren't home) after she was 1 year old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it is still the puppy stage and he thinks whenever he is next to you or at your level... it is play time.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does the same thing. Getting on the bed for her is a treat like no other and she goes nuts for the first few minutes she is up there and then calms down. We still don't let her sleep in the bed as it is high up and we don't want her falling off and hurting herself so she is only on it for short periods. The couch is another story. She has her spot when she stays in for the most part unless she wants to take a nap between my legs when I have my feet up.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Bring a large Nylabone or rope chew toy with you when you take your dog to bed.
That will give him something do do until he falls asleep.

Teach him that you are in charge by saying "scoop, scoop, scoop" each time you lift him onto the bed.
He will quickly settle into a routine of waiting to be lifted (scopped).
Then he will learn how to jump up onto the bed by himself.

Last night, Walley-Bubba wanted to go to bed before I was ready (I was working on the computer).
He took hi Kong chew toy (empty, no Kong cheese inside) and got up on the bed by himself and lay down chewing his toy.
I was so proud of hi independence.

One thing though, he has never jumped off the bed.
I'm glad of that because his bones are probably still a little soft at 1 year of age.
I have no doubt that he could jump down, but glad he doesn't.

DieselsHooman

Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Diamond
I think it's because you're still in the puppy stage, as am I. Diesel just wants to play when I put him in bed with me. He is a cuddler though regularly. He constantly feels the need to sit next to me when I sit on the floor (I sit on the floor because he isn't allowed on the couch) and he'll make sure he's touching me the whole time he's there. Constantly wants to be in my lap. Very rarely will he take a nap with me but I have to wear him out first. I usually need a nap from playing with him, but he won't sleep in bed with me unless I just let him run wild for a while first.

- - - Updated - - -

Bring a large Nylabone or rope chew toy with you when you take your dog to bed.
That will give him something do do until he falls asleep.

Teach him that you are in charge by saying "scoop, scoop, scoop" each time you lift him onto the bed.
He will quickly settle into a routine of waiting to be lifted (scopped).
Then he will learn how to jump up onto the bed by himself.

All of this, sounds genius though.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We use a rubbermaid two step, step stool for Sheldon he refuses to actually jump on the bed and he refuses to let anyone help him on the bed so if he wanted on the bed he had to use the step now when he wants on the bed he nudges his step and looks at me to move it so he can get on the bed and if I ignore him he stands up to the side of the bed and shakes it with his front paws and loudly lets me know he what he wants!:hissycry:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
It took about a year and a half before I trained Nigel to sleep with me. He was ready cause he never had an accident on the bed and he now has a routine of sleeping with mommy. Be patient you'll get there and you will love it as I do. :)

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Harlea does the same thing. Getting on the bed for her is a treat like no other and she goes nuts for the first few minutes she is up there and then calms down. We still don't let her sleep in the bed as it is high up and we don't want her falling off and hurting herself so she is only on it for short periods. The couch is another story. She has her spot when she stays in for the most part unless she wants to take a nap between my legs when I have my feet up.

Rocco does the same thing when I recline on the couch!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My wife keeps saying she isn't going to be able to do it for much longer but I bet she will find a way. lol

Haha that's true! Sometimes if I don't lean back, his weight can start to push the part that comes up for your legs down again lol

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Haha that's true! Sometimes if I don't lean back, his weight can start to push the part that comes up for your legs down again lol

Exactly! There have been a few times where she was snoozing so hard that i had to wiggle my way to stand up and just left her there. It's funny because it had become an everyday thing as she likes to nap with me when I take lunch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.