s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sorry to say this-but I think you have done your part. MOST of the time, children learn what they live. Sometimes good ones go bad-if they are weak, and have to "be one of the guys". But this kid sounds like he didn't have a chance from jump. You will wind up in the middle of a mess, and I don't think you can help him. He is the type that will have to go in service to learn respect,discipline sounds like. Just look at who he has for parents......you tried-don't feel guilt-his parents sure don't.Your family(and you) comes first.

I agree with you 100%, which is why I told my friend that I couldn't be in the middle anymore. He's staying with another family down the street & I think that they might be better suited for him that I am. I just don't have the experience to be able to help teach him. You aren't the first person who's mentioned that maybe he should consider going into the military. It would probably do wonders for him.

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Holy COW… what a frigging mess!!! I tend to agree w/Lynn @Manydogs it sounds like this is a complete mess that they are more than willing to let you deal with… and my heart just breaks thinking you had to buy clothes for the poor kid!!! Are the police aware that he is living w/you? He's probably too old for foster care… is there any other family in the area that he could stay with? I just feel like this is a TOTAL mess that you don't need to get more involved in. The parents need to GROWUP & take responsibility for the whereabouts of their son!!!

You're telling me haha! How all of this started is because a close friend of his is a neighbor of mine. She actually tried to bully me into keeping him on Friday when I told her that I was done (I had gone into the basement to do laundry & the whole basement reeked because he hadn't flushed the toilet & there was trash everywhere). I told her the same thing that I posted here; I'm not a parent, I don't have the knowledge or experience to raise this kid & he needs more than what I can give him. She tried to ask what it would take for him to continue living here & I responded with "he would have to be an adult. Not physically, but mentally, and he's no where close to that".

Child Services apparently went to the school on Friday to ask him about his current living situation. He told them that he was staying with me & gave them my phone number. He doesn't turn 18 until February, but my guess is that they won't put him in foster care for that short of a period of time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your neighbor is HIS close friend? She didn't take him in? Does that tell you something? SHE wants YOU to board him? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Your neighbor is HIS close friend? She didn't take him in? Does that tell you something? SHE wants YOU to board him? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Oh yeah I agree 100%...
[MENTION=9759]s5nelson[/MENTION]
I'm so sorry you got hung up in this mess, and you know the sad part is… YOU are the only one who cares about this kids well being!!! It's too bad that in today's world it's almost impossible to help kids nowadays… Sigh!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Too many throw away kids now a days. Fortunately for you, he is not your problem. My kids used to always bring home someone who needed a place to stay because they had been thrown out of their house. As much as our kids make us angry, and drive us insane, they are our kids and we have to be responsible. Unfortunately not everyone should be a parent--just like some should never have dogs. I pray Winston is OK! So sad the poor little guy got caught in a all of this!

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston

I'm sorry, I meant to say her daughter is close friends with him, but she wanted me to take him in. Yeah, I thought at the time it was just because I had more room, could afford him (she lives off of her child support checks) etc, but in really started to question her motives on Friday when she kept asking what it would take for him to stay with me.

Oh yeah I agree 100%...
@s5nelson
I'm so sorry you got hung up in this mess, and you know the sad part is… YOU are the only one who cares about this kids well being!!! It's too bad that in today's world it's almost impossible to help kids nowadays… Sigh!

I think that's the most frustrating part of everything! No one else seems to care about him at all. His parents, his siblings, my neighbor, even the school / the counsellors / child protective services gave me the run around. What I went through just to get him out of his mother's house was absolutely ridiculous & I even had pictures as well as first hand reports of incidents. Everyone cares about covering their butts and not the welfare of others. It's so incredibly sad.

Too many throw away kids now a days. Fortunately for you, he is not your problem. My kids used to always bring home someone who needed a place to stay because they had been thrown out of their house. As much as our kids make us angry, and drive us insane, they are our kids and we have to be responsible. Unfortunately not everyone should be a parent--just like some should never have dogs. I pray Winston is OK! So sad the poor little guy got caught in a all of this!

Thank God Winston seems to have pretty much recovered. He's taken 3 giant poops today & thanks to him loving to go poo in bushes I wasn't able it get to all of his poop, but I'm hoping whatever he ate came out. My friend pointed out that he doesn't usually swallow things like plastic / paper, just chews it & spits it back out. So we were wondering if there was leftover spoiled food from the kids lunch that he ate and that's why he was SO sick on Saturday.

I am glad that there are parents who genuinely care about their kids. No lie, this whole incident kinda made me not want to have children haha! It is definitely a lesson learned on my part, and I'm really upset that Winston had to be a part of it, but at least he's ok.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well to be honest… it is that way w/pets too! People want babies, but don't want to deal w/defiant teens or people want puppies, but don't want to deal w/vet bills or take care of an elderly dog. Our country has become a throw-away society… it's really sad, because I see this happening in so many areas. Marriage, kids, pets… it's very very sad :(

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Well to be honest… it is that way w/pets too! People want babies, but don't want to deal w/defiant teens or people want puppies, but don't want to deal w/vet bills or take care of an elderly dog. Our country has become a throw-away society… it's really sad, because I see this happening in so many areas. Marriage, kids, pets… it's very very sad :(

Boy isn't that the truth! I keep hoping that it will turn around one of these days, but you never know.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@s5nelson...Stephanie, I'm relieved to hear Wilson is okay.

GOD will bless your efforts to help this teen. You may not see it but I
bet your taking him & buying needed things showed him, someone
cares and it may start a change in attitude.

I find it admirable too, you recognized it was over your head to fix.
People don't (so often) and get into a real dilemma and GOOD FOR YOU
in refusing to be bullied! All in all...you did real good, Stephanie...real good!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear that Winston is okay.Kids? My advice is have MORE BULLIES! ha!ha!

OP
s5nelson

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
@s5nelson...Stephanie, I'm relieved to hear Wilson is okay.

GOD will bless your efforts to help this teen. You may not see it but I
bet your taking him & buying needed things showed him, someone
cares and it may start a change in attitude.

I find it admirable too, you recognized it was over your head to fix.
People don't (so often) and get into a real dilemma and GOOD FOR YOU
in refusing to be bullied! All in all...you did real good, Stephanie...real good!

Thank you SO much for saying this. It really, really means a lot. I do hope that I made a difference for him, and I do hope that he is able to turn himself around, but there's just no way that I'm equipped to help him any more than I already did. It was a difficult decision, but at the end of the day it's about what's best for him & I know that I felt completely overwhelmed / unable to cope so how would that help him?

Happy to hear that Winston is okay.Kids? My advice is have MORE BULLIES! ha!ha!

Hahahahaha! Oh I agree with you 100%. I deserve a Christmas present...right? ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online