Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
20131206_172735.jpg
So my friends this is what Brutus looks like after a scolding from mommy. I bought him a new flavor of his food. Well apparently he really liked it because he gulped it down with no topper. I gave him a little more and my black lab decided to walk through the room and Brutus went after him! WHAT? Could it be the food? I took his food away immediately and his toys and now he is pouting and desperately trying to make up with me. Is there something else I should do to curb this?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just stay on him when he does that, also sometimes you can see right before he goes after one, and can stop it before he charges.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sometimes Winston will try to get Roxie's food, so I like to feed them at the same time & I stand there just waiting for the drama… LOL

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sometimes Winston will try to get Roxie's food, so I like to feed them at the same time & I stand there just waiting for the drama… LOL

Glad i'm not the only one who acts like a "referee" during meal times! Lately, I've had Finn eat his meal in his crate while Tate eats in the kitchen b/c of fights between the two of them. I still need to stand by closely tho b/c Tate will always lick up Finn's bowl every time.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Has Brutus ever done this before or showed signs like growling when the lab would come near his food?
Believe it or not, when I was feeding him Iams, he couldn't care less who went near him. When I got smart and switched him to Merrick, he did not want anyone near his food. He got better as he got used to having the better food. I guess he figured out that it wasn't just a treat. I usually stand right next to him when he eats because he hates to eat alone and if I see him looking at my lab, I will sternly say no, be a good boy , and he will continue to eat. He doesn't care if the lab licks his bowl when the food is gone. I'm thinking he is being more possessive because it was a new flavor. He is good with his toys treats and ice cubes, I just don't get it with the food. I also feed him and the other dogs separately so there are no problems. Should I just keep the other dogs out of the room when he eats? Is that too extreme?

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger is this way. He will nicely share anything and everything BUT his food. He will get tense if I touch him when he eats. And growl if any of the four legged kids get close while he's eating. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old and he has always done it. Granted its nothing like when I first got him. It's just something he has never got passed. I feed him by himself in the kitchen. He eats quickly, as soon as the food is gone any of the others can go sniff, lick his bowl, whatever and he never makes a sound or a move. Only, if there is food in the bowl. Never does it with treats. Can have him , Ellie, a lab and a yorkie all side by side getting treats and same thing, no move toward them and no growling.

My vet thinks as a puppy he got a bowl tossed I front of him and to eat he had to protect his food. He feels it's something ingrained from when he was a puppy. He has NEVER had to fight for food in my house. I was hoping he would out grow it but never has.

I feed my fur kids all separately, just to avoid any problems. Ellie actually lets my yorkie eat a couple pieces while she eats :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TLindstrom

Oct 12, 2013
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus
I feed my bulldog across the room from my other dogs. He eats his food super fast and is done long before the others. I use this time to try to work with him. I already have him shaking a paw. I just reward him with a few pieces of his kibble. This seems to work the best, plus we are all happier!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We feed Sheldon and Gigi at the same time he has No aggression towards Gigi or anyone else for that matter he has NO food aggression but he LOVES this food I no longer have to drag him to his food bowl.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would feed Brutus last and separately from the rest of the pack.... he should be in a sit/stay till you release him and only then can he eat.

banks was like this in a way as a pup, she would eat all her food then attack or go after Nitshcke to get his. so, we placed her in a sit/stay till Nitshcke ate and then we also made her eat from the same bowl as him.. he would finish and then we would get the bowl place her food in it and she would be release from the sit/stay to eat. took awhile to get her there, but now she know the rules and follows them if she wants to eat. Yes, if she moves prior to release... the bowl is picked up and she goes back to waiting

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online